• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are all atheists facing Hell?

Muffled

Jesus in me
And I know just because you believe something doesn't make it real or a fact.

I believe if I want to know about math facts I go to a math book. If I want to know about Hell I go to God through the Bible with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
There are other reasons, but sure, that is a valid one that indeed happens to be true for me.

Then we shall not have any problems.

It is the "happens to be true for me" that biblicists find troubling. Subjective morality to measure a being of absolute moral and love perfection!

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Pascal's wager is using a 1 in a million analogy.
Pascals gets into threats of punishment like the Romans verses you cited.

Pascal is using a T/F, on/off lever.

Threats of punishment or love of Christ is fine. If I "scare the Hell out of you" I should worry about doing so?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I base my decisions more on what my conscience says than what I read in the scriptures or hear over the pulpit. And that puts my in the position described by my signature (see below).

I believe that means you will be just as sinful as your conscience.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is the "happens to be true for me" that biblicists find troubling. Subjective morality to measure a being of absolute moral and love perfection!
I think you are confused.

There is no point whatsoever, and certainly not a moral one, on attempting to guide myself by scripture attributed to a deity.

And even were I to take it for granted that somehow there is... the Christian Bible hardly qualifies, or even attempts to.

Edited to add: To elaborate, morality is not obedience to rules. The proper name for that is indeed obedience.

Morality is something else entirely, something far more dynamic and ambitious. It is an emergent property of the convergence of the ability to predict the likely results of behavior and the ability to perceive and empathise with situations of pleasure and pain, gain and loss.

It is IMO objective, but by no means delimitable by mere scripture. Quite on the contrary, true morality can only exist over the background of an active, rational being capable of perceiving existence and making value judgements accordingly.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What are you talking about? "God is easily fooled or bribeable."

That is one of the necessary premises for an attempt to make use of Pascal's Wager to be possible.

The wager has to do with the humans facing existential questions.

Does it? As I understand it, it is just about how to trick a fire-and-brimstone God into sparing one. Or more accurately, about how to deal about fears related to that image.

I would not call that an existential question, but I suppose someone else might.

If there is a 1:1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance that you can improve an eternal position by effort, do so. As the Bible says, people have no excuse for not detailing these matters!
Uh. Sorry. That still makes no sense, and still sounds vaguely offensive towards theism and the Bible.

Were I a Christian, I doubt I would feel confortable with such a statement.

Milton Platt

I believe experience is a great teacher. For me I would rather believe what God says than wait to go there to find out.

I've never met anyone who has been to hell, and I've not been so I don't know where the experience comes in. I have to have some really good evidence that both a god and a hell exist.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Judges 1:19New International Version (NIV)

19 The Lord was with the men of Judah. They took possession of the hill country, but they were unable to drive the people from the plains, because they had chariots fitted with iron.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I think you are confused.

There is no point whatsoever, and certainly not a moral one, on attempting to guide myself by scripture attributed to a deity.

And even were I to take it for granted that somehow there is... the Christian Bible hardly qualifies, or even attempts to.

Edited to add: To elaborate, morality is not obedience to rules. The proper name for that is indeed obedience.

Morality is something else entirely, something far more dynamic and ambitious. It is an emergent property of the convergence of the ability to predict the likely results of behavior and the ability to perceive and empathise with situations of pleasure and pain, gain and loss.

It is IMO objective, but by no means delimitable by mere scripture. Quite on the contrary, true morality can only exist over the background of an active, rational being capable of perceiving existence and making value judgements accordingly.

...And all you've said about morality is subjective. The scriptures contain absolutes: "thou shalt, thou shalt not".

You are an evolutionist who says that morality is in large part a contrivance to protect societal aims and the greater good. So it becomes all the more subjective and conditional.

Without God, you have no ability to say or prove concretely that the morals of a Hitler or a Pol Pot are wrong. Indeed, the Nazis and Nazi sympathizers felt that genocide was preserving their race--the greater good for the collective.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
That is one of the necessary premises for an attempt to make use of Pascal's Wager to be possible.

Does it? As I understand it, it is just about how to trick a fire-and-brimstone God into sparing one. Or more accurately, about how to deal about fears related to that image.

I would not call that an existential question, but I suppose someone else might.

Uh. Sorry. That still makes no sense, and still sounds vaguely offensive towards theism and the Bible.

Were I a Christian, I doubt I would feel confortable with such a statement.

It's not a bribe to receive God on God's stated terms--Pascal was a Christian. Like me, He trusted Christ for salvation. The "bribe" you find morally objectionable WAS paid--by Christ on the cross!

It sounds "vaguely offensive toward the Bible" to say that the Bible says only foolish people don't ponder their limited life span and eternity?!!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It's not a bribe to receive God on God's stated terms--Pascal was a Christian. Like me, He trusted Christ for salvation. The "bribe" you find morally objectionable WAS paid--by Christ on the cross!

It sounds "vaguely offensive toward the Bible" to say that the Bible says only foolish people don't ponder their limited life span and eternity?!!
When you put it that way, it is not too vague.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
...And all you've said about morality is subjective. The scriptures contain absolutes: "thou shalt, thou shalt not".

You are an evolutionist who says that morality is in large part a contrivance to protect societal aims and the greater good. So it becomes all the more subjective and conditional.

Without God, you have no ability to say or prove concretely that the morals of a Hitler or a Pol Pot are wrong. Indeed, the Nazis and Nazi sympathizers felt that genocide was preserving their race--the greater good for the collective.
Let's just say that I don't think you understand morality very well.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I believe if I want to know about math facts I go to a math book. If I want to know about Hell I go to God through the Bible with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
you could ask the devil

but maybe the evening news is a clue

Sabour

Some churches have inferred otherwise, however, the Bible does not mince it's words,

John 3:36
& other verses,
All atheists might be facing Hell.

According to Islam, any one who didn't receive the massage of Islam and understood it will have his own test on judgement day.

Let's say person X got the idea that Islam is violent and he searched, yet didn't find anything that proves otherwise, he won't be held responsible.

That is what I know, and God knows best ....

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
According to Islam, any one who didn't receive the massage of Islam and understood it will have his own test on judgement day.

Let's say person X got the idea that Islam is violent and he searched, yet didn't find anything that proves otherwise, he won't be held responsible.

Basically that is very, very similar to Mormonism.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

if you know scripture...any kind....
your plea of ignorance will not be accepted

even so......harmful intent is not likely to cross over into heaven

I believe the peace of heaven is guarded
and the angels have been portrayed with sword in hand
for centuries

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
if you know scripture...any kind....
your plea of ignorance will not be accepted
So what do you think ought to happen to those who are ignorant of the truth, Thief? How do you think that a God who is both just and merciful would handle such a situation? Please tell me you're not going to fall back on Romans 1:20. If you are, you're going to have to explain a lot of inconsistencies that verse raises when seen in the context of the rest of the New Testament.

Last edited: