• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are all atheists facing Hell?

Sabour

if you know scripture...any kind....
your plea of ignorance will not be accepted

even so......harmful intent is not likely to cross over into heaven

I believe the peace of heaven is guarded
and the angels have been portrayed with sword in hand
for centuries

What do you mean by "know" ?

Is it awareness of existence?? Or understading the true message ?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What do you mean by "know" ?

Is it awareness of existence?? Or understading the true message ?
informed.....

if you read it
if you heard it

knowing the existence of a thing.....go find it
understanding of a thing.....think about it

and if you do nothing......
oh well.....

(it may also be noted.....to know is equated as 'certain')
and what are we really sure of?

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So what do you think ought to happen to those who are ignorant of the truth, Thief? How do you think that a God who is both just and merciful would handle such a situation? Please tell me you're not going to fall back on Romans 1:20. If you are, you're going to have to explain a lot of inconsistencies that verse raises when seen in the context of the rest of the New Testament.
I'm warming up to an op

for this op.....what they do know is all they can bring with them
for an atheist.....he brings denial before God and heaven

that might not go well

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm warming up to an op

for this op.....what they do know is all they can bring with them
for an atheist.....he brings denial before God and heaven

that might not go well
Interesting comments. Unfortunately, none of them addressed the questions I asked.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Let's just say that I don't think you understand morality very well.

I understand that if you use a standard such as informed consent, bodily autonomy or even do unto others, it is either a subjective standard or you are employing absolutes.

By social contract, millions of Germans and others in the 20th and this century chose a moral framework that said genocide is moral!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I understand that if you use a standard such as informed consent, bodily autonomy or even do unto others, it is either a subjective standard or you are employing absolutes.

Something of both, actually. Most dichotomies are unreliable and unrepresentative. That specific one is also difficult to implement.

By social contract, millions of Germans and others in the 20th and this century chose a moral framework that said genocide is moral!
That is an oversimplification. There was a lot of propaganda and misguidance at work there.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I've never met anyone who has been to hell, and I've not been so I don't know where the experience comes in. I have to have some really good evidence that both a god and a hell exist.

I believe you are out of luck. Experience come when a person believes they are possible. For instance if you see an ad saying a store is giving out free candy for Halloween but you believe it is highly unlikely a store will give out anything for free, then you will never experience free candy.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I believe you are out of luck. Experience come when a person believes they are possible. For instance if you see an ad saying a store is giving out free candy for Halloween but you believe it is highly unlikely a store will give out anything for free, then you will never experience free candy.
Hell sounds a lot more fun than Heaven.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Something of both, actually. Most dichotomies are unreliable and unrepresentative. That specific one is also difficult to implement.

That is an oversimplification. There was a lot of propaganda and misguidance at work there.

Luis, five people who of their own volition, with informed consent, carefully chose Hitler and to implement the Holocaust and WWII are too many, let alone five million Germans.

And these five people had a subjective ethical playbook.

Thou Shalt Not adulter, fornicate, steal and murder is surprisingly easy to implement (and enforce). :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Luis, five people who of their own volition, with informed consent, carefully chose Hitler and to implement the Holocaust and WWII are too many, let alone five million Germans.

Certainly. Not sure what you mean to illustrate in saying so, though.

And these five people had a subjective ethical playbook.
Most people do.

Thou Shalt Not adulter, fornicate, steal and murder is surprisingly easy to implement (and enforce). :)
That would depend on one's expectations.

I remain uncertain about what you mean to illustrate.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Certainly. Not sure what you mean to illustrate in saying so, though.

Most people do.

That would depend on one's expectations.

I remain uncertain about what you mean to illustrate.

You stated it is difficult to deal from an objective moral playbook. It isn't with thou shalts and shalt nots, and it is far more precarious/difficult to deal with a subjective framework, when the framework changes by person!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You stated it is difficult to deal from an objective moral playbook.

You must have misunderstood me. Morality is inherently a challenge. It must be, if it is to have any meaning.

It isn't with thou shalts and shalt nots, and it is far more precarious/difficult to deal with a subjective framework, when the framework changes by person!

Morality that disregards the person is a contradiction of meanings.

Milton Platt

Very poor example. I can provide empirical evidence of candy, the holiday of Halloween, and stores. Can you give equivalent empirical evidence of a Hell?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Very poor example. I can provide empirical evidence of candy, the holiday of Halloween, and stores. Can you give equivalent empirical evidence of a Hell?
evening news

when such people cross over into the next life
all hell will be there waiting for them