• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another view on Bible violence (applies to any Scripture)

Select (multiple) the responses that agree with you:

• 01: God did all the violent acts as described in the Bible

• 02: God did not do all the violent acts as described in the Bible

• 03: Humans did violent acts similar as described in the Bible

• 04: Humans did not do violent acts similar as described in the Bible

• 05: It makes sense that humans did some of these violent acts God allegedly did

• 06: It makes no sense that humans did some of these violent acts God allegedly did

• 07: I believe in "Common Sense before Divine Sense"

• 08: I believe not in "Common Sense before Divine Sense"

• 09: The old testament is about mythology

• 10: The Old Testament is not mythology

Results are only viewable after voting.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Besides, in the original Hebrew text it is evident that what is translated as God are many gods.
El Elyon, El Shaddai, Yahweh, Qemosh, Milcom are all gods. Elohim.

You mean to say they are each separate God's?

Anyway, if you think Elohim is plural in numbers its one of the most used, bad scholarship on the planet. Moses was called Elohim, that doesn't mean there were many Moseses. I dont really know if that is what you are proposing, but if it is its not acceptable mate. Its singular. Pluralis Majestatis.

Also, the names you mentioned are different references to God. Chemosh is someone else's deity so the address in Judges is not addressing the Jewish God.

Anyway, none of this is relevant.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The question should be, did God command those violent acts!!
I don't think it "should";) be, but definitely that is a good additional question in this context, thank you

When I do some introspection, I can easily see, that when God "speaks" to me, I always receive the message up to my understanding. Sometimes years later, having grown in wisdom/knowledge, I see the deeper meaning, which was there from the beginning, but I was just not ready at the time

Think of a verse that orders the killing of children, women, animals, infants etc etc just logically fit in with the characteristic of God..
IF you mean this as a question, I would say "definitely not a characteristic of God"
(apart from my belief that ultimately no blade of grass moves unless God Wills)

This is not the genre of history. It is written as sacred history. These verses are not depicting actual teachings of God but rather the sentiment of the writer where he or she is showing the animosity they had with these people, be it the Amalekites or anyone else.
Good point, and that makes sense like I described above. When God uses a communicator/medium to convey His message I think the message is always tainted by the communicator (although God has the ability of course to make it without any stains, and sometimes will do that). Furthermore the message is for that specific moment, so naturally the tainted color of the communicator fits in the whole picture.

Muhammad lived in times there was war, so naturally many verses are about war, as it was important at that time specific
Same in this OP, I point out that humans were violent themselves, so the violent verses were just a mirror to look in what humans are capable of

stvdv

Legends does not make it Mythology.

Even if you dont have any regard to the Bible whatsoever, still its not called Mythology by any scholar who knows the subject well unless he falls into the category of mythicists. Even the skeptics call it "sacred history". Not Mythology.
Thanks for clarifying this

I could see the "Golden Calf" story as a Myth, but in the Bible it is clearly used to open our eyes for these kind of myths and not to follow them

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You mean to say they are each separate God's?

Anyway, if you think Elohim is plural in numbers its one of the most used, bad scholarship on the planet. Moses was called Elohim, that doesn't mean there were many Moseses. I dont really know if that is what you are proposing, but if it is its not acceptable mate. Its singular. Pluralis Majestatis.

Also, the names you mentioned are different references to God. Chemosh is someone else's deity so the address in Judges is not addressing the Jewish God.

Anyway, none of this is relevant.
El Elyon and Yahweh are not the same person.

firedragon

Veteran Member

This is like saying "God most high and Yahweh are not the same person".

Dont turn these phrases into personal names. El means "power or might". Elohim is the plural of it. Elyon just means highest or the topmost. It can be referred to anyones God or deity. Just like Elohim.

I can't understand the end of any of this honestly.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
This is like saying "God most high and Yahweh are not the same person".

Dont turn these phrases into personal names. El means "power or might". Elohim is the plural of it. Elyon just means highest or the topmost. It can be referred to anyones God or deity. Just like Elohim.

I can't understand the end of any of this honestly.

El Elyon and Yahweh are not the same person and it is Absolutely evident in Deuteronomy 32:8-9
They are two distinct people

stvdv

Besides, in the original Hebrew text it is evident that what is translated as God are many gods.
El Elyon, El Shaddai, Yahweh, Qemosh, Milcom are all gods. Elohim.
Good you mentioned this. From my POV there is 1 God having many names, which are just describing God's ascribed characteristics (by humans)

I don't think God is a person. What God is I don't know, for me God is beyond any description. But using descriptions are useful to gain understanding

stvdv

True.

The point is, even the skeptic scholars dont call them Myths. Its sacred history. Thats the bottomline.
Skeptic generally are more sharp and focused to get to the mundane truths/facts, so if they don't call them Myths then that's it:D

stvdv

God did some but not all of these violent actions. Some were really human actions. Some was God blessing humans with safety and victory.

The Bible is mythology. But the word myth is an example of "you keep using that word." Myth can mean a lie or fable, but that wasn't its traditional meaning, which was closer to a sort of religious allegory.
Yes, that is my understanding of the word Myth also. And Google gave below quote, so definitely linked to spirituality
Many voted for "09) The Old Testament is about Mythology", maybe they had the 2nd definition (below) of myth in thought

"being spiritual" means follow a Dharmic lifestyle. Culture is related to Dharma, so improving one's culture is spiritual
mythology
/mɪˈθɒlədʒi/
noun
  1. 1.
    a collection of myths, especially one belonging to a particular religious or cultural tradition.
    "tales from Greek mythology"

myth
/mɪθ/
noun
  1. a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining a natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
    "ancient Celtic myths"
  2. a widely held but false belief or idea.

stvdv

How do you know it was a "copy"? See, parallelism doesn't mean they were definitely copied. It could also be there was a source both writers copied from.
Smart thought. It could also be that God inspired 2 people with the same information, and as a matter of fact that has happened a lot

stvdv

Nevertheless, your statement is complementary to my statement you see? It is still sacred history, not mythology.
That is true if one uses 2nd definition of Myth below
myth
/mɪθ/
noun
  1. a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining a natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
    "ancient Celtic myths"
  2. a widely held but false belief or idea.

But if one uses the definition of Mythology below then it really applies
mythology
/mɪˈθɒlədʒi/
noun
  1. 1.
    a collection of myths, especially one belonging to a particular religious or cultural tradition.
    "tales from Greek mythology"

And when one adds to that the definition of "supernatural" the word Mythology even makes more sense
supernatural
/ˌsuːpəˈnatʃ(ə)r(ə)l/
adjective
  1. (of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.
    "a supernatural being"

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
To dismiss Holy Books without knowing about it makes no sense either
Spiritual Scriptures explain about the highest potential one can reach

I'm very familiar with holy books. I've read the bible 3 times, I've read the Gathas and several books of the Zend Avesta, the Havamal (my personal favorite), and several others. There is value there, but a lot of the value in there is outdated and no longer applies to people today. There isn't anything in any holy book I've read that isn't readily apperent, or completely irrelevant. The only way holy books have helped me as much as they have is that they helped me deprogram my brain from the damage done by the original holy book I was raised with (or rather, the religion I was raised with that relied on that holy book).

Not to say many don't find value, because they do. Unfortunately, there is so much there that misleads, it's hard to justify the good when the bad is right next to it in the very next sentence. Even the Gathas, which I found to be the best and most upliftings scriptures, have darker verses as well that are just plain unnecessary. When scripures need to have the best bits cherry picked or the bad bits need to be explained, it can't really be a reliable or accurate guide for life.

Now, when scriptures speak of spiritual states, I've experienced some of them myself. I'm not convinced they aren't just a trick of the mind; a placebo, or some other biochemical reaction of the brain. Half of the deeper verses are actually meaningless deepities that don't amount to anything tangible, and the other half require altered states of mind that causes one to escape from reality, not ground themselves closer to it.

They are a fun hobby to get into, but I feel like they can be a trap for some if they get too deep into it.

Hardly anyone gets to that. The Books were also for them
Most stay barbarian compared to that. They could use it

I will gladly break bread with an uncivilized barbarian than suffer the company of a self important man who thinks himself better than his fellow man any day. "Civilized" people will often teach you trivialities held high on pretense, but people from the salt of the earth will teach you how to live. They are the ones who will be honest with you and help you stay grounded, where the "civilized" person is oftentimes two faced and has no qualms about stabbing you in the back to get ahead.

This is why nature based religions and indigenous spirituality resonates with me. They are about life with nature, not apart from it. Not above it. Not away from it. Some may consider these folks barbarians, but I can't think of the last time these barbarians led a mass genocide or tried to dominate another group of people by erasing their culture and language.

Of course if you can gain it without it, good for you
Reality is, that nobody gets there on its own

True. We all take from our surroundings, and that includes religion and holy books. Not everything we get is good, though. More important than what we get are the basic mental tools needed to decipher that information. You can look at a violent scripture and see a lesson of what not to do. A zealot sees it and thinks his god wants him to do that terrible thing to other people. One has a good set of mental tools, the other one doesn't.

A grounded and honest mind has far more value than any written works, holy or not, IMO. That is what is important. :)

stvdv

I can't see anything (and I mean anything apart from the molecules, etc.) surviving after death
Yes, that is kind of a problem, that this Awareness is beyond "matter", so those things will only be revealed in meditation or Samadhi I think, after purifying body and mind (emotions, blockages etc). To really understand Einstein's Relativity Theory one needs to study in the University for many years. To really understand Spiritual life is even more hard, so it needs many more years than the few years in University.

When I came to my Master my first thought was "I studied 5 years for engineering", so to understand my Master I should study at least 10 years

stvdv

To dismiss Holy Books without knowing about it makes no sense either
Spiritual Scriptures explain about the highest potential one can reach
I meant with this, that as long as we are not Self Realized, we have not known about "the highest potential humans can reach"

I'm very familiar with holy books. I've read the bible 3 times
That you read the Bible 3 times proves this. Because once we "know", there is no need to read again (I still read too, so not yet there myself:D)

My Master was great in simplifying things and showing us our place, using simple analogies. He said:
"One perfect OM uttered, and you will be realized. Now you ask me, why you have us repeat 21 times OM. You have 21 chances to get 1 good OM"

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yes, that is kind of a problem, that this Awareness is beyond "matter", so those things will only be revealed in meditation or Samadhi I think, after purifying body and mind (emotions, blockages etc). To really understand Einstein's Relativity Theory one needs to study in the University for many years. To really understand Spiritual life is even more hard, so it needs many more years than the few years in University.

When I came to my Master my first thought was "I studied 5 years for engineering", so to understand my Master I should study at least 10 years

Fine, and I understand such, but it seems to me quite similar to studying some particular religious text and becoming an expert in such, but possibly not in any truths.

stvdv

There is value there, but a lot of the value in there is outdated and no longer applies to people today.
Makes reading a lot quicker, if you can skip all these verses, doesn't it?

There isn't anything in any holy book I've read that isn't readily apperent, or completely irrelevant.
I usually just skip the verses that seem irrelevant for me. I did read important things in my Scripture I never read before elsewhere

they helped me deprogram my brain from the damage done by the original holy book I was raised with (or rather, the religion I was raised with that relied on that holy book).
Bookish knowledge helped me become aware. Introspection helped me to transform it, or as you say "deprogram my brain from the damage"

stvdv

Fine, and I understand such, but it seems to me quite similar to studying some particular religious text and becoming an expert in such, but possibly not in any truths.
True, I did not say one should study texts. Study means doing prescribed sadhana. I read 1%, introspection 24/7 and should meditate more.
When getting a degree (bookish knowledge) is only the start. After that one needs to practice. Same in Spiritual life. Meditation is 1 practice.

My Master made it even more simple: "In Kali Yuga you only need to remember 4 lines from the Bible and practice these (most simple lines)"
"Hurt Never, Help Ever" + "Love All, Serve All"

stvdv

Unfortunately, there is so much there that misleads, it's hard to justify the good when the bad is right next to it in the very next sentence.
I understand. But do not agree that "it's hard to justify the good when the bad is right next to it". Good is good, bad will always be next to it on earth.
I solve this knowing that humans who wrote Scriptures could have made mistakes (and maybe I misinterpret)
Anyway, when it feels off to you, trust your conscience, skip it. At least that is what I do
But I do not throw out the baby with the bathwater (saying in Holland)

I'm not convinced they aren't just a trick of the mind; a placebo, or some other biochemical reaction of the brain.
Good point. My take on that "As long as we are not convinced it is still my imagination"

Half of the deeper verses are actually meaningless deepities that don't amount to anything tangible, and the other half require altered states of mind that causes one to escape from reality, not ground themselves closer to it.
You were in such deeper states, did you really feel not grounded? That is hard to believe for me. I never felt more grounded in my whole life.

A grounded and honest mind has far more value than any written works, holy or not, IMO. That is what is important. :)
A grounded and centered awareness is fantastic. Reading is useful to get there. Once there, why read more? But I feel no need to dismiss books