• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An update about my health

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Huh, sweating. That's a very good question, actually. I remember I had woken up earlier than usual that morning because I just couldn't get comfortable anymore. It was really warm in the room, so I was sweating a little. It may not have been from the heat though. That didn't seem important to me until you brought it up.

I truly hope all of this is going to be an interesting story that you tell your grandchilden.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hey, J. About 15 years ago I had my "heart Event" (they said it was a heart attack, but I never had chest pain, never lost consciousness, never saw any lights at the end of any tunnels, and never talked to any dead relatives...go figure).
I vaguely recall your mentioning this before.
Didn't you glimpse Old Scratch welcoming you with open arms?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Heya folks. I know I haven't posted here or visited in a while, but I thought some people here might want an update about where I was. I had a heart attack last Thursday, which was absolutely terrifying and life changing. I'm 32 (33 next week), so this is far from normal. The doctors are pretty sure it was caused by a high risk genetic situation, but they aren't entirely sure yet.

I'm not sure what kind of conversation I want to have about this. Sharing? Advice? Venting? I probably won't have much to say if this is used to push me into religion, though. I was at the end of the road and there was nothing but pain and horror. I just want to live my life to the fullest now.

Wishing you a smooth recovery, friend. I'm glad you're back.

Be well. :rose:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Fortunately, I have no residual heart issues so I should live to a ripe old curmudgeonship, but I am also a pragmatist knowing I could assume room temperature at any given moment. I

I look forward to seeing you as an old curmudgeon here for years and years to come.

Stay safe. Sending well-wishes. :)

Milton Platt

Heya folks. I know I haven't posted here or visited in a while, but I thought some people here might want an update about where I was. I had a heart attack last Thursday, which was absolutely terrifying and life changing. I'm 32 (33 next week), so this is far from normal. The doctors are pretty sure it was caused by a high risk genetic situation, but they aren't entirely sure yet.

I'm not sure what kind of conversation I want to have about this. Sharing? Advice? Venting? I probably won't have much to say if this is used to push me into religion, though. I was at the end of the road and there was nothing but pain and horror. I just want to live my life to the fullest now.

I am so sorry to hear of that. It must be terrifying for that to happen at so early an age. I appreciate your sharing this. I would be genuinely appreciative if you could give us updates when you know more about the situation.

I won't toss out any platitudes or amateur advice. But I do think it is a good thing for you to be posting about it. Whether it's just venting, working through your anxiety, or whatever.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I've had a few days out of the hospital now and I'm starting to find something resembling my usual self again. At the very least, I feel a bit better than I did the last couple days. I think I mostly needed to get my thoughts out so I could sort through them. So thank you for letting me vent and talk about things here.

I expect I'll probably lapse and climb back up many more times before I find any true stability, since that's what I already know about PTSD I've gone through before. At least now I know I can be me again, but with a bit more caution about heart health in mind. The hospital I went to is also being super supportive, which I've never experienced before. I usually have trouble keeping up with medical stuff, but they're going to give me regular calls to check up on me and remind me of anything I need to take care of.

My boyfriend, who was fired when he stayed with me in the hospital, might be getting some help too. Some old friends of mine heard what happened and they're going to network around to find him a good, stable job. He hated his old job anyway, so a new job opportunity could be what he needed. He was also just given unemployment benefits to help cover things until we can get him a new job.

I think I'll be alright now, but I still need a lot of time to think and recover.

Last edited:

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Does anyone have any advice about getting a significant other to start eating healthy? My boyfriend (who I've lived with for a while now) and I can only afford to shop for enough food to share between us, so we can't each have our own separate ways here. He hates veggies and most healthy things, but that's exactly what I need to be basing my diet around. He thinks it's icky, but I don't want to end up in the hospital again. Getting him to budge on this is like wrestling a bear. This is the first and only thing after 5 years that we've ever fought about. He buys the food, but I cook, so we both have our roles in this.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Does anyone have any advice about getting a significant other to start eating healthy? My boyfriend (who I've lived with for a while now) and I can only afford to shop for enough food to share between us, so we can't each have our own separate ways here. He hates veggies and most healthy things, but that's exactly what I need to be basing my diet around. He thinks it's icky, but I don't want to end up in the hospital again. Getting him to budge on this is like wrestling a bear. This is the first and only thing after 5 years that we've ever fought about. He buys the food, but I cook, so we both have our roles in this.
Glad your still with us, Jester, :) and I'm sorry you had to go through something like this.

As far as your boyfriend goes: maybe try getting him to look at some websites and YouTube videos about the link between diet and heart disease.

Admittedly there's a lot of hype out there on the web, but if you focus on reputable sources: the Mayo Clinic, Harvard Medical, John Hopkins, . . . and use your discretion when it comes to popular blogs and documentaries you should be OK.

I can't imagine how scary all this must have been, Jester. I hope things get easier from here on in.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Heya, it's been a while. I felt like sharing some updates. My health has been on the rise during the last year, both physical and mental. I've learned that my heart defect is a genetic thing, which my estranged father also has. He's in the hospital now for similar reasons. Go figure.

Depression and PTSD are just the worst btw. The reason I couldn't keep my health in order is because my mind just couldn't handle the stressors of normal life. But I got myself into a good routine of healthy home cooking, which helped in the meantime. Eventually my partner caught on, and he's eating well now too. I guess the sudden acid reflux caught his attention and he decided he didn't want that. So it's good food from now on for both of us.

Speaking of depression, that's pretty much gone now. At least in the form it was in. I've dealt with it for three decades now, so that was just what normal life felt like to me. There was no off switch. But I guess it got unplugged on its own last month. We found a good way to use our expertise together to make a living on our terms, and that's been going well. We're even starting our own business together. Suddenly personal motivation that has nothing to do with appeasing someone else's capitalistic gains has cleared a path for us. There was no way to "just get over depression" on your own which is why I had that issue for 30+ years, but I guess the right spark of motivation can pull someone out. I wouldn't have minded if that had happened earlier.

So now with that gone, I'm also losing weight. A lot of it. I'm not particularly working out more than I did before. And I was already eating healthy. But now I'm just regularly active throughout the day instead of just lazing around all the time. The apartment is getting regularly cleaned, and I'm just keeping up with daily chores that I notice need to be done. That's what depression blocks, and with it out of the way I think I can start loving and respecting myself again.

I'm trying not to forget what that level of depression was like. Because no one just "snaps out of it" on their own. It's a disease of the mind and more people need to recognize that. I even have some lasting damage from it I need to deal with now. I will probably always be dealing with that, but at least I'm in control now.

Other good news: We're engaged! So that's happening.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Welcome to the club. My heart attack was in Feb. 2017.

I learned to face my own mortality and subsequently made me cherish things in life that gets taken for granted.

Glad you survived and hopefully the experience prepares you when death makes the housecall again where your a little less anxious and stressed.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Heya, it's been a while. I felt like sharing some updates. My health has been on the rise during the last year, both physical and mental. I've learned that my heart defect is a genetic thing, which my estranged father also has. He's in the hospital now for similar reasons. Go figure.

Depression and PTSD are just the worst btw. The reason I couldn't keep my health in order is because my mind just couldn't handle the stressors of normal life. But I got myself into a good routine of healthy home cooking, which helped in the meantime. Eventually my partner caught on, and he's eating well now too. I guess the sudden acid reflux caught his attention and he decided he didn't want that. So it's good food from now on for both of us.

Speaking of depression, that's pretty much gone now. At least in the form it was in. I've dealt with it for three decades now, so that was just what normal life felt like to me. There was no off switch. But I guess it got unplugged on its own last month. We found a good way to use our expertise together to make a living on our terms, and that's been going well. We're even starting our own business together. Suddenly personal motivation that has nothing to do with appeasing someone else's capitalistic gains has cleared a path for us. There was no way to "just get over depression" on your own which is why I had that issue for 30+ years, but I guess the right spark of motivation can pull someone out. I wouldn't have minded if that had happened earlier.

So now with that gone, I'm also losing weight. A lot of it. I'm not particularly working out more than I did before. And I was already eating healthy. But now I'm just regularly active throughout the day instead of just lazing around all the time. The apartment is getting regularly cleaned, and I'm just keeping up with daily chores that I notice need to be done. That's what depression blocks, and with it out of the way I think I can start loving and respecting myself again.

I'm trying not to forget what that level of depression was like. Because no one just "snaps out of it" on their own. It's a disease of the mind and more people need to recognize that. I even have some lasting damage from it I need to deal with now. I will probably always be dealing with that, but at least I'm in control now.

Hurray! I'm glad to hear that things are shaping up well!

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

That's great Jesster!! Congratulations on all of that, and it's good to see you back around. :)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
So sorry to hear about your health issues @Jesster, but pleased to hear that you are gaining control of your life, now that its more precious after such a scare. No one expects a heart attack at just 32.

Our bodies are an amazing piece of machinery and we need to take care of them.
I Hope your fiance' can learn to love vegies :D Is he a supertaster by any chance?

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
So sorry to hear about your health issues @Jesster, but pleased to hear that you are gaining control of your life, now that its more precious after such a scare. No one expects a heart attack at just 32.

Our bodies are an amazing piece of machinery and we need to take care of them.
I Hope your fiance' can learn to love vegies :D Is he a supertaster by any chance?
No, not that I'm aware of. His parents just didn't feed him well growing up so he has a negative association with most food. He's starting to appreciate healthier home cooking again though. I guess that means I've been doing a good job!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Fantastic news that things are coming together for you. And congratulations

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
No, not that I'm aware of. His parents just didn't feed him well growing up so he has a negative association with most food. He's starting to appreciate healthier home cooking again though. I guess that means I've been doing a good job!

Hi Jess, why I asked is because we have supertasters in our family....I was one when I was a child, and it caused my mother no end of worry because she could not coax me to eat anything that was healthy.

Supertasters have a very strong response to flavours, to the extent that they will taste food with extreme ability to taste even the container that food is produced in.
I ended up in leg braces because of vitamin deficiency, with no real way in those days to offset that deficiency. I could even taste the carton that ice-cream came in. (before plastic) So “fussy eaters” can have an explanation.

Supertasters end up with food phobias because the extreme level of taste makes everything taste awful. It can carry over into adulthood because they cannot lose the memory of how food tasted so are less likely to try those foods later. The palate stays accustomed only to foods that are ‘acceptable’ and they become a nightmare to feed. I guess never getting good food as a child would have a similar result....a jaded palate.

My son was also a supertaster and his son too. Neither of them can be coaxed to eat certain things even now, whereas I lost the problem in my twenties. The palate can be re-educated but only if you keep tasting small morsels of healthy things served in an appetising way.

Sounds like you are coaxing your man to eat better. :)