• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America and the hate politics cause

We Never Know

No Slack
Political polarization at its best. Nothing to be proud of.

A third of young voters said they wouldn't want to be friends with someone who voted for a different presidential candidate: poll​

"-The US has increasingly become politically polarized in recent decades.
-A third of respondents in a recent poll said they can't even be friends with rival party supporters.
-A similar poll in 2016 found that 7% of voters reported friendships ending because of the election.

The poll, conducted between February 3 and 14 by The Generation Lab and Axios to 1,073 young adults, revealed that 33% of respondents said they would "definitely not" or "probably not" be open to being friends with someone who voted for the opposing party's presidential nominee (selecting Republican former President Donald Trump or Democratic current President Joe Biden, specifically).

Monday's survey comes around seven years after a Monmouth University poll found that 7% of voters said they ended friendships over the vitriolic race between Trump and Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. Those friendships ended, the poll found, as 70% of respondents said the presidential campaign "brought out the worse in people."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

A third of young voters said they wouldn't want to be friends with someone who voted for a different presidential candidate: poll​

-A third of respondents in a recent poll said they can't even be friends with rival party supporters.
-A similar poll in 2016 found that 7% of voters reported friendships ending because of the election.

The poll, conducted between February 3 and 14 by The Generation Lab and Axios to 1,073 young adults, revealed that 33% of respondents said they would "definitely not" or "probably not" be open to being friends with someone who voted for the opposing party's presidential nominee (selecting Republican former President Donald Trump or Democratic current President Joe Biden, specifically).

Monday's survey comes around seven years after a Monmouth University poll found that 7% of voters said they ended friendships over the vitriolic race between Trump and Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. Those friendships ended, the poll found, as 70% of respondents said the presidential campaign "brought out the worse in people."

Not surprising. Political parties hoisted by their own petard.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Out of all the reasons I've seen for friendships ending, ending a friendship because your friend is trying to hurt people you care about seems one of the more reasonable ones.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
We one hears Republican discourse, it is hard to imagine why a human being would support it.

It is rather simple. I have been waiting for decades for reasons to think otherwise, and what I see is that the GOP just keeps feeding on its own poison.

I honestly don't see the mystery there.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The wealthy elites that own and control everything want us all at each other's throats so we won't wake up and turn on them. And amazingly, we apparently like hating and blaming each other so much that it works. And has been working for many decades.

That's been their strategy for decades, although it seems that it's starting to backfire and reach diminishing returns. It was rather reckless for them to monetize the electoral process, since they opened it up to anyone with a bag of money, regardless of who they are or where their money comes from.

Now, a lot of them seem to be complaining about the consequences of their own actions, but it's really their own fault.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Too politically divided, the US.
People become too emotional. They internalize politics into their own private lives.
How many people would never date someone who voted or will vote for Trump?

And if the reasons were sensible, I would understand.

But the reasons are because Trump dared say that he likes vagina...so it's criminal for a man in the US to say that he likes that.

If Trump had been gay would such a Trumpohobia exist, by now? I don't think so, folks.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

When it comes to ending a friendship, I think different people draw the line at different points. It doesn't surprise me that some draw it at a hot-button issue like voting for a presidential candidate whom they perceive as a threat to them or to people they care about.

Personally, I tend to consider a person's intentions, background, knowledge about different perspectives, their willingness to try to understand others' perspectives and concerns, etc., regardless of who they vote for. The vote itself rarely reveals much about these nuances and could be a result of any number of factors.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Note that the headline announces that ...

A third of young voters said they wouldn't want to be friends with ... [emphasis added - JS]​

while the article notes ...

33% of respondents said they would "definitely not" or "probably not" be open to ... [emphasis added - JS]​
It may seem like a minor distinction but I think otherwise. Were I to be asked if I'd be open to becoming friends with a Trump supporter, "probably not" would be an imminently reasonable response.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

Being selective concerning who you choose to spend time with socially is not the definition of "hate". Hate is trying to take away people rights and treating them like they were less than human. Taking away their rights to reproductive care, right to medical care, right to travel, right to vote. That is hate. Stop voting for hateful policies, more people might want to hang.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Being selective concerning who you choose to spend time with socially is not the definition of "hate". Hate is trying to take away people rights and treating them like they were less than human. Taking away their rights to reproductive care, right to medical care, right to travel, right to vote. That is hate. Stop voting for hateful policies, more people might want to hang.
But in Europe such a thing is less intense. Not to say non-existent.
I know people who are married and who vote for two completely different parties.

I don't think it's healthy, with all due respect.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
It's difficult to deny truthful occurrences, but this truth has become a difficult pill to swallow, so to speak. Divided we have become and as PureX suggested, turned against each other. I'm unsure the perpetrators, so I'll try to refrain from calling out elites only. It all seems sinister and hostile. I won't or rather I've been refusing to not consider enemy in our midst's scenarios. I guess it falls on us as citizens and communities, brothers, sisters, acquaintances, etc . to come to a reasonable census on the events and consider the why's beyond just party politics and colors represented.

Cooperation between parties would seem more beneficial, but is it ... truly?

PureX

Veteran Member
That's been their strategy for decades, although it seems that it's starting to backfire and reach diminishing returns. It was rather reckless for them to monetize the electoral process, since they opened it up to anyone with a bag of money, regardless of who they are or where their money comes from.
They know that bag of money will corrupt anyone that touches it. So it's just a recruitment tool, to them.

The funny thing about money is the more of it one has, the more of it one wants to have. No one ever thinks, "well, that's enough for me".
Now, a lot of them seem to be complaining about the consequences of their own actions, but it's really their own fault.
They love to blame it all on the government that they own and control. Just to make sure the government stays weak and ineffectual. Because the government poses the only actual threat to their control. They also like to blame us, so we'll blame each other, because that keeps us divided and weak as well.

And yes, the greedsters will eventually destroy even the society they are feeding on, because greed has no point of satiation. The parasites will eat the host, and then each other. They can't stop themselves.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
They know that bag of money will corrupt anyone that touches it. So it's just a recruitment tool, to them.

The funny thing about money is the more of it one has, the more of it one wants to have. No one ever thinks, "well, that's enough for me".

They love to blame it all on the government that they own and control. Just to make sure the government stays weak and ineffectual. Because the government poses the only actual threat to their control. They also like to blame us, so we'll blame each other, because that keeps us divided and weak as well.

And yes, the greedsters will eventually destroy even the society they are feeding on, because greed has no point of satiation. The parasites will eat the host, and then each other. They can't stop themselves.

Money talks mentality and naivety in the receiving of ... learning from history does not appear to be a strong point for people. Doubles crosses and betrayal is nothing new, so it may be better to live a difficult life than to be known for having no spine or mind enough to resist the money bags and pie.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
But in Europe such a thing is less intense. Not to say non-existent.
I know people who are married and who vote for two completely different parties.

I don't think it's healthy, with all due respect.

I think it really depends on how far it goes or how intense it becomes. I don't think everyone thinks in terms of political parties as the be all and end all. Some might look at the principles and platform, wherein a liberal-leaning Republican might get along well with a conservative-leaning Democrat. There are a number of issues where both parties might tend to overlap or have similar positions.

Some people might disagree on some issues, yet still try to focus on the issues they do agree upon.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, and that's usually their downfall. 100-150 years ago, one factor which may have restrained the greed of the elite was the fact that America itself was somewhat limited in its power and global reach. As a result of WW2 and the ensuing Cold War, that all changed, and America had suddenly become the "leader of the free world" - with all the accompanying fringe benefits.

There are some constants in human politics that one can observe in history. There have always been greedy and powerful people who lust for power and even more wealth. There has always been some measure of corruption, intrigue, tyranny, and flagrant abuses of power. But what's changed over the past couple of centuries of industrialism is that the masses are becoming more and more difficult to control. So a large part of the great game is to keep finding new and inventive ways of keeping the cattle pacified and content, lest they might stampede and become a real threat.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1,073 young adults, revealed that 33% of respondents said they would "definitely not" or "probably not" be open to being friends with someone who voted for the opposing party's presidential nominee (selecting Republican former President Donald Trump or Democratic current President Joe Biden, specifically).
I wonder why they limited the study to young people. It would be interesting to see if the numbers changed by generation. I'm almost seventy, and that's how I feel.

And it's not like one side is unilaterally extending a hand of friendship to the other which is then refused. Neither wants to know the other. Doesn't that make them both correct to want to avoid socializing together? What would be the basis of their friendship.

I remember early in Biden's presidency when he made a point of reaching out to the right. They weren't interested in cooperating with him or even being respectful to him. That kind of talk disappeared. He stopped reaching out to them. Biden understood that those people wanted nothing to do with him, and now it seems he feels similarly. He recently refused a meaning with Speaker Johnson over border issues. I presume that Biden would have had that meeting a few years ago - why not? - but that by now he understands that the Republican would not be acting in good faith:

https://www.politico.com/live-updat.../no-biden-johnson-meetings-on-border-00141449

Similarly, Biden has refused to debate with Trump. I'm sure that Biden remembers the last time he did that and Trump talked over him: "Will you shut up, man?"

Biden dismisses Trump’s demand to ‘immediately’ schedule debate: ‘He’s got nothing else to do’

It's the same at my level. This is how I feel about Johnson's and Trump's counterparts in my world. These people simply aren't friend material. They're not as overtly hostile or disrespectful as Trump and congressional Republicans, so I could play bridge with one or eat a meal with one, but they have the same MAGA values, and I just can't respect that or ignore it.

And it looks like something similar is happening with young people. I wasn't aware that so many had strong political opinions. We did when I was young (circa 1970), mostly because of Vietnam, feminism, and the civil rights movement, but it seems that by the eighties, people were more self-indulgent and superficial. I think that a comparison of All In The Family (bigoted parents, liberal offspring) and Family Ties (liberal parents and a money-obsessed conservative son and his superficial, self-absorbed, mallrat sister) is a nice epitome of how things had changed.

So, in a sense, it's good to see some return of interest in such matters, although I recently saw a pretty depressing Bill Maher rant about how song lyrics had changed from our youth to present, which left me with a more negative view of the younger generation, so it might be a little encouraging that 33% of people care about political issues. Here's the rant for anybody interested, which dovetails nicely with the discussion about greed and money in this thread:

Rational Agnostic

Out of all the reasons I've seen for friendships ending, ending a friendship because your friend is trying to hurt people you care about seems one of the more reasonable ones.

I think this is a bit misleading in that most people are not sadists and do not vote with ill-intent. I would even say that most Trump supporters vote for him because they are honestly delusional enough to believe that the net benefit to everyone in the country would be higher if he were president than if he were not. This is definitely an idiotic position but not a reason to end a friendship imo. If someone intentionally voted for the candidate they believed would hurt society the most, then that's a different story, because that person would most likely be a psychopath. I wouldn't knowingly associate with a psychopath although I don't think I've ever actually met one in real life.