• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America and the hate politics cause

libre

Skylark
Political polarization at its best. Nothing to be proud of.

A third of young voters said they wouldn't want to be friends with someone who voted for a different presidential candidate: poll​

"-The US has increasingly become politically polarized in recent decades.
-A third of respondents in a recent poll said they can't even be friends with rival party supporters.
-A similar poll in 2016 found that 7% of voters reported friendships ending because of the election.

The poll, conducted between February 3 and 14 by The Generation Lab and Axios to 1,073 young adults, revealed that 33% of respondents said they would "definitely not" or "probably not" be open to being friends with someone who voted for the opposing party's presidential nominee (selecting Republican former President Donald Trump or Democratic current President Joe Biden, specifically).

Monday's survey comes around seven years after a Monmouth University poll found that 7% of voters said they ended friendships over the vitriolic race between Trump and Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. Those friendships ended, the poll found, as 70% of respondents said the presidential campaign "brought out the worse in people."

Is it polarization or is it that most of the electorate don't like rapists?
Solution to this 'polarization' is political parties to not put presidential candidates who hurt women on the ballot, not for us to become more comfortable with that reality.

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Two words. Matt Schlapp.
"Matt Schlapp, the influential chairman of the American Conservative Union, is facing additional allegations of sexual assault that apparently took place before the incident that launched a more than $9 million sexual misconduct lawsuit against him last year.

Carlton Huffman, a Republican staffer on Herschel Walker’s US senate campaign, initially accused Schlapp of sexually assaulting him last year. Huffman had been assigned to drive Schlapp to campaign events in the Atlanta area and alleged Schlapp fondled him without his consent during a car ride in October 2022."

Yep, like that.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If he were gay, he'd probably be doing it to men and I still wouldn't like him.
He does treat other men like crap as well. Hell, he pretty much treats everyone like crap, as far as I can tell. Unless you give him 100% blind loyalty, that is.
Honestly...I don't believe that.
Two gay men had sex in the sacred temple of democracy.
The Senate.
And yet the leftist brigade said nothing.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Out of all the reasons I've seen for friendships ending, ending a friendship because your friend is trying to hurt people you care about seems one of the more reasonable ones.

I think this is more about Trump specifically and less about some generic different presidential candidate.

Rational Agnostic

The point is that a person who's, say, killed as a result of apathy and negligence is just as dead as if they were intentionally murdered.

Our actions are a reflection of our character. If someone you considered a friend votes for policies that will harm you - even if this harm is just an unintentional "side effect" - then this is a demonstration of how much your well-being matters to your so-called friend.

No, it's not. The results are the same but the intention matters. You're implying that if I was harmed by someone unintentionally, then my well-being automatically does not matter to them at all. That's quite obviously false.

What's the "exhange rate" between a dollar of GDP vs. a degree of mean sea temperature increase vs. A dollar in your personal wage vs. 1% risk that a trans kid will be killed by classmates?
What the hell are you talking about?

So it is a reason to end a friendship, then. Glad we cleared that up.

Sure, it could be a reason for someone. Why not? I don't care what others' reasons for ending friendships are.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Being selective concerning who you choose to spend time with socially is not the definition of "hate". Hate is trying to take away people rights and treating them like they were less than human. Taking away their rights to reproductive care, right to medical care, right to travel, right to vote. That is hate. Stop voting for hateful policies, more people might want to hang.
You're basically suggesting you can't work with 50% of your own country. That is problematic. That's kinda the point.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
But the reasons are because Trump dared say that he likes vagina...so it's criminal for a man in the US to say that he likes that.
No...
1) That's not what he said. And it's certainly not the only thing he's said that people find strongly disagreeable.
2) This isn't a 'left hates on the right' scenario. This is a much more unilateral polarisation.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
You're basically suggesting you can't work with 50% of your own country. That is problematic. That's kinda the point.
I think you have drastically misinterpreted the topic of this thread, and more specifically misread my post.

Either that you you just don't understand the difference between "work" and "play".

You are talking about work. And yes, you need to be able to work with all kinds of people, people with different points of view. You need to treat these people civilly, professionally and work together to achieve your goals.

However this thread was about who you choose to be friends with. And my post that you are replying to specifically states "who you choose to spend time with socially". Do you understand the difference?