• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a Biggot?

DarkMaster24

Exactly... I have had bad experiences with guys when I was younger. It caused me to not trust anyone. Not until recently I have made more guy friends and gained a Fiance. :)
It wasn't my fault though and what is happening with you, is not yours.
I'm glad I could help at least. It makes me happy to help another person and... you're welcome!

Well, I''m glad you're over that and that you have a fiance! Congratulations. That must feel awesome.
You're right- I just have trouble beliveing that. Thanks, all the same though. Hehe, it makes me happy to know that.

DarkMaster24

I think you are just being honest. I have opinions about uneducated people preaching in churches who cannot even read. Some of these people speak in tongues and handle snakes. When people see these things, they lump all religious folks together.

Now, before I get into trouble, I believe they have a right to their religion, I just have opinions of them. Most others think this as well, but will not say it for fear of not being politically correct.

Yeah.. Ugh, yeah, i can't stand when people speak in tounges. That jsut freaks me out. One of the girls at my old church did that and that's scarey. It is pretty wrong of me to catagorize all religious people together. I hope to stop with that.

No, I don't see it as bigoted. Nothing compared to me at least. Don't worry, I wont perceive it as being close-minded or whatever. You don't have to say what's on your mind though.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
If I think less of people because they are religious? Like people here, people like Kathryn and Watchmen, I think they seem to be like great people, but somehow I feel like I think less of them then I would if they werent religious. I feel bad about it, but I can't help it.
Honestly, from what little you've said, I would have to say "yes."

Dezzie

Well, I''m glad you're over that and that you have a fiance! Congratulations. That must feel awesome.
You're right- I just have trouble beliveing that. Thanks, all the same though. Hehe, it makes me happy to know that.

Thank you... and yes, it feels AMAZING. Take it from a person who knows. lol Just try to remember the positive sides of things and you will be okay. It takes a LONG time though... well, it did for me. 6 or 7 years honestly... but it worked. The time was worth it. :) It takes time to heal a wound but in the end, it's faded.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I think you are just being honest. I have opinions about uneducated people preaching in churches who cannot even read. Some of these people speak in tongues and handle snakes. When people see these things, they lump all religious folks together.

Now, before I get into trouble, I believe they have a right to their religion, I just have opinions of them. Most others think this as well, but will not say it for fear of not being politically correct.
Ok there Rick, be careful not to group people who speak in tongues and people who handle snakes all in one category, there are people who speak in tongues who do not handle snakes.....see that is giving a preconceived opinion to others who will think of them as synonymous. ;)

DarkMaster24

Thank you... and yes, it feels AMAZING. Take it from a person who knows. lol Just try to remember the positive sides of things and you will be okay. It takes a LONG time though... well, it did for me. 6 or 7 years honestly... but it worked. The time was worth it. :) It takes time to heal a wound but in the end, it's faded.

Ill bet. I've never had that feeling before, so it must be if you speak of it in such a way. I try to do that. One thing we learned in psych class was to try and think that people are good, even when they hurt you and that that'll help you feel better about things. I'm trying to apply that idea in my life. 7 years? Yikes....I've got a ways to go then. I'm glad to know youre over it though.

Dezzie

Ill bet. I've never had that feeling before, so it must be if you speak of it in such a way. I try to do that. One thing we learned in psych class was to try and think that people are good, even when they hurt you and that that'll help you feel better about things. I'm trying to apply that idea in my life. 7 years? Yikes....I've got a ways to go then. I'm glad to know youre over it though.

lol it may not take you that long. I had some troubles getting over traumatic experiences as a child, which if you knew some of them, you may understand. :p

I don't know if you should think everyone is good. I think you should maintain that awareness of who could be playing with you and those that have the intent of hurting you. Just be aware of your surroundings, you know? Always give someone a first chance but if they do anything that may give you the slightest idea of them wanting to hurting you, just don't associate with them any longer. Although, you probably should think everyone is good... I have been through a lot in my life and I am good at reading people now. I don't have many friends where I am because of that ability. The friends I have now though are some of the best ones I have ever had.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Yes - you're a bigot. You think less of people because of their religious beliefs. You don't know anything else about them. Their religious beliefs are your sole motivation.

If you had substituted religious for race or homosexuality or gender etc. ... then the bigotry would be immediately called out by the members of this board. However, despite the forum name, religion is usually vilified here.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If I think less of people because they are religious? Like people here, people like Kathryn and Watchmen, I think they seem to be like great people, but somehow I feel like I think less of them then I would if they werent religious. I feel bad about it, but I can't help it.

I think you've discovered how deeply rooted bigotry can be.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

If you think less of me just because I have faith but like me otherwise, that would border on being a bigot. Sorry, but that is the plain truth. If you didn't like me because I am faithful and you think I am a boring person or we just clash, then there is a chance you are not a bigot. :angel2:

blackout

Violet.
Don't judge a person by their religious cover?

It IS fair to recognize that certain churches official teachings
are bigoted (and sometimes downright looney) though.

Is it bigoted of me to take note of a religion's bigotry? :areyoucra

Obviously not every member of a church may subscribe to EVERY teaching of their church...
but then I must always wonder WHY even BELONG to such an organization
in the first place? Still, each person has their own personal reasons...
which are not invalidated by my personal distaste(s) of their church.

Larger UMBRELLAS like "chrisitanity" or even "LHP" come in so many flavors
there IS NO standard to really even make any all encompassing assumptions under/by.
Just a little bit of time here at RF will make that abundantly clear.

If everyone were automatically suspicious/superstitious of Left Hand Pathers...
I would have very few friends here.
We do not need to agree in personal *life* theory & path
to have fun as social beings with each other,
and appreciate and love each other as individuals.

Isn't that Right Strawberry? ;) :D

Last edited:

Nanda

Polyanna
Nope, your an Atheist

Disliking people because of their religious affiliation has nothing to do with atheism, and I strongly resent your implication that it does. I have close friends, whom I love, that have all manner of beliefs. Not all atheists are antitheists who feel superior to everyone else.

Last edited:

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Sadly this is pretty much the exact same position many take towards homosexuality. Nearly 90% of this forum screams they are bigots so that would make you one too. The difference, however, is you admitted it and can try to change it. Frubals for being willing to admit this in public, even though I know you will automatically think less of me.;)

I mean like in intelligence and rationality. Like, I can't help but feel that religious people are a bit stupid. As awful as it sounds, I don't like feeling that way. I wish I could change it.

well they kinda are in a way, i mean lets take evolution for example an ok theorie but it still took more then 200 years before people accepted it and even today some still don't accept it

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
well they kinda are in a way, i mean lets take evolution for example an ok theorie but it still took more then 200 years before people accepted it and even today some still don't accept it
You, my friend, are also a bigot for lumping all religious people into one non representative group.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend DarkMaster24,

Am I a Biggot?

Why this SELF DOUBT?

Love & rgds

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

It depends - are you biased against religious people, or simply people who are less intelligent? What do you mean by "think less of them"?