• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a Biggot?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Also, DarkMaster, I'd like to point out that I really do respect you for questioning yourself in this way. Most people would ask the question only as an oppurtunity to excuse themselves, if they asked at all. My question now is, do you want to change?

challupa

Well DarkMaster, you're not alone. It seems that every group has a tendency (in varying degrees) to think what they believe is superior to other beliefs. However, only a portion of people within these groups actually tag individuals in the same fashion in most cases. There are of course exceptions to this. Sometimes the truth is you are smarter, but that doesn't make you better. It's just a fact. I think it is probably prudent to question beliefs and decide which ones you can allign with. Each of us has to make these decisions in life. However, like many here have said, there is a huge variety of beliefs on this forum and I for one am loving getting to know what all of them are and the people behind the beliefs. I don't have to agree with them to really like and respect them. Some are harder than others, but if everything was easy, it probably would make life pretty boring. This is a wonderful place to get to know people DM of every belief imaginable. I think as you interact with people you will find it intriguing, stimulating and really fun.:yes:

DarkMaster24

Thanks, that's reassuring to know. i thought that I wa sletting my bad experience with Christians make me an unwarrented bigot. Glad to know that's not the case. Hehe, really? But isn't our success in life determined by our ability to learn? i have questioned my beliefs to Challupa, and my quest has brought me to Atheism. But yeah, you're totally right, it has been fun comming to this forum and learning new people's beliefs. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

DarkMaster24

lol it may not take you that long. I had some troubles getting over traumatic experiences as a child, which if you knew some of them, you may understand. :p

I don't know if you should think everyone is good. I think you should maintain that awareness of who could be playing with you and those that have the intent of hurting you. Just be aware of your surroundings, you know? Always give someone a first chance but if they do anything that may give you the slightest idea of them wanting to hurting you, just don't associate with them any longer. Although, you probably should think everyone is good... I have been through a lot in my life and I am good at reading people now. I don't have many friends where I am because of that ability. The friends I have now though are some of the best ones I have ever had.

Hehe, let's hope not! Haha, but it usually does take me a while to get over a traumatic experience, but Ill be fine.
True, very good points. I am not one to not give people the benefeit of the doubt though. It's just the way I am. Yeah, that's a good way to avoid getting hurt. Thanks. Well, the main reason for thinking people are good is because it's comforting, even though it may not be true, it's a good way for coping. That's good. I think it's better to have a tight-knit group of friends then none or alot that don't care!

challupa

Thanks, that's reassuring to know. i thought that I wa sletting my bad experience with Christians make me an unwarrented bigot. Glad to know that's not the case. Hehe, really? But isn't our success in life determined by our ability to learn? i have questioned my beliefs to Challupa, and my quest has brought me to Atheism. But yeah, you're totally right, it has been fun comming to this forum and learning new people's beliefs. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
Well you and I might think it's about learning, but there are lots that think it's about obeying. Coming from that point of view, it's hardly difficult to see why many are afraid to learn anything that might upset their fragile world view. I openly admit I haven't a clue what is true. I love to learn and read everything (well almost everything) I can to expand my understanding. That doesn't mean I agree with everything I learn, only that I can now know what others believe and that helps me to at least know how and where that mindset came from. Hey without diversity our world would sure be boring.

DarkMaster24

Yes - you're a bigot. You think less of people because of their religious beliefs. You don't know anything else about them. Their religious beliefs are your sole motivation.

If you had substituted religious for race or homosexuality or gender etc. ... then the bigotry would be immediately called out by the members of this board. However, despite the forum name, religion is usually vilified here.

Hey Watchmen.. I'm sorry about the way I treated you earlier. Did you read the apology I posted in the fundies post?

DarkMaster24

Sadly this is pretty much the exact same position many take towards homosexuality. Nearly 90% of this forum screams they are bigots so that would make you one too. The difference, however, is you admitted it and can try to change it. Frubals for being willing to admit this in public, even though I know you will automatically think less of me.;)

Thanks....for the frugals and for giving me credit. Don't worry, I'm trying to chage that about myself.

DarkMaster24

It depends - are you biased against religious people, or simply people who are less intelligent? What do you mean by "think less of them"?

I'm biased against religious people, and because they are religious they seem less intelligent to me. By thinking less of them, i mean that i'd have a better opinion of them if they werent religious. Know what i mean?

Storm; Religious means believeing in and fallowing any religion (ie Chriostianity, Islam, Buddhism, ect)

DarkMaster24

Well you and I might think it's about learning, but there are lots that think it's about obeying. Coming from that point of view, it's hardly difficult to see why many are afraid to learn anything that might upset their fragile world view. I openly admit I haven't a clue what is true. I love to learn and read everything (well almost everything) I can to expand my understanding. That doesn't mean I agree with everything I learn, only that I can now know what others believe and that helps me to at least know how and where that mindset came from. Hey without diversity our world would sure be boring.

I don't think of it that way, and I'm glad you don't either. I've never been one to not question authority, so it comes naturally for me to question what people telll me to believe or what I'm raised to believe. Indeed, if i had never questioned what my parents raised me to believe I'd still be a christian. Yeah, I don't think we can 100% know what is true, so that's why I base my veiws arround evidence. That's the beauty of learning is that it broadens your veiws even if you don't agree with them it still teaches you to think criticall. Which i think is cool.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm biased against religious people, and because they are religious they seem less intelligent to me. By thinking less of them, i mean that i'd have a better opinion of them if they werent religious. Know what i mean?

Storm; Religious means believeing in and fallowing any religion (ie Chriostianity, Islam, Buddhism, ect)
OK, I have to repeat my earlier question: Do you want to change this about yourself?

Also, I seem to've missed the earlier post about this bad experience, what number is it?

If you do want to change, the first step, I think, is to start reminding yourself not to judge all religious folk by the bad apples you encountered. It's not easy, and I sympathize. Living in a poor and crime-riddled neighborhood that also happens to be predominantly black, I find myself struggling not to become racist.

DarkMaster24

OK, I have to repeat my earlier question: Do you want to change this about yourself?

Also, I seem to've missed the earlier post about this bad experience, what number is it?

If you do want to change, the first step, I think, is to start reminding yourself not to judge all religious folk by the bad apples you encountered. It's not easy, and I sympathize. Living in a poor and crime-riddled neighborhood that also happens to be predominantly black, I find myself struggling not to become racist.

As I've said thorughout the post, yes I do want to change that.

It's post 9.

Yeah, that's what a few other people said and i'm trying to do that but it's hard when you allready have had this mentality for years. I'm sorry to hear that. I'd also like to remind you that alot of black people aren't like that. Just look at our president.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
As I've said thorughout the post, yes I do want to change that.

It's post 9.
Thanks, and sorry.

Maybe it would help to familiarize yourself with liberal faith. I'd recommend visiting a UU congregation, or if you like, I could link you to some of my favorite sermons from my own congregation.

Yeah, that's what a few other people said and i'm trying to do that but it's hard when you allready have had this mentality for years.
I know. The important thing is that you're willing to work on it :)

I'm sorry to hear that. I'd also like to remind you that alot of black people aren't like that. Just look at our president.
Oh, I remind myself all the time. I also remind myself that I've lived in predominantly white neighborhoods that were just as bad. I just wanted to let you know I understand where you're coming from. I'm far from perfect.

DarkMaster24

Thanks, and sorry.

Maybe it would help to familiarize yourself with liberal faith. I'd recommend visiting a UU congregation, or if you like, I could link you to some of my favorite sermons from my own congregation.

I know. The important thing is that you're willing to work on it :)

Oh, I remind myself all the time. I also remind myself that I've lived in predominantly white neighborhoods that were just as bad. I just wanted to let you know I understand where you're coming from. I'm far from perfect.

No worries, sorry if I sounded aggravated, I wasn't.

Liberal faith? There's such a thing? Hehe, I'm kidding. No, thanks, I've experimented with different religions and none of them have ever worked out for me. i'm just not a person of faith. Thanks for the offer though.
Thats good to here. It feels good to know that you can commisserate with me too. Thanks for that.

challupa

DM just out of curiousity is your family really religious? You talked about coming from the south in another thread and completely cutting old friends out of your life. What faith were they?

Trey of Diamonds

I mean like in intelligence and rationality. Like, I can't help but feel that religious people are a bit stupid. As awful as it sounds, I don't like feeling that way. I wish I could change it.

I think this is a normal reaction but it has nothing to do with religion. We all like to think that we know the answers, whatever the subject may be. You have decided that there is no God and you believe in this is so strongly that you see anyone who disagrees as someone who simply can't see the obvious.

If this is truely something you want to change then you have to accept the fact that you may be wrong in your convictions. Only then will you see others beliefs as equal to your own. Many people are afraid to question their own beliefs but it is really a liberating experience. Once you realise that you might be wrong, you no longer have to worry so much about being correct. I'm wrong all the time and it doesn't bother me a bit. :D

Oh, and a note on the semantics. A bigot has a racial connotation and would be an incorrect term in this context. You could say you are prejudiced but not a bigot specifically.

DarkMaster24

DM just out of curiousity is your family really religious? You talked about coming from the south in another thread and completely cutting old friends out of your life. What faith were they?

Yes, they are, and the religion they practices was protestantism. The reason I left them was because I realized they were just manipulating me by trying to get me to believe their conservative agenda and I'm no one's puppet, so that's why i left.

Trey of Diamonds

Trey; That's an interesting way of putting it and I hadn't heard of it that way before.

Very insightful, thanks.

You're welcome and may I echo Storm's suggestion that you go to a UU church one Sunday. You don't have to worry about it being very religious and you won't hear Jesus get mentioned very often if at all. But there will be plenty of coffee and discussion. You'll also most likely see some atheists mixed in the crowd, I know we have several in our church.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Um, okay....but are you biased against people who are less intelligent, but not necessarily religious?

And what exactly is a better opinion? Can you be any more specific?