• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a Biggot?

DarkMaster24

If I think less of people because they are religious? Like people here, people like Kathryn and Watchmen, I think they seem to be like great people, but somehow I feel like I think less of them then I would if they werent religious. I feel bad about it, but I can't help it.

DarkMaster24

Thanks Rick (sarcasim)

You know, I don't go arround expressing hate against people of religious groups simply because I disagree with them, so for you to say that kind of sucks.

It's not like if I want to be this way-Indeed, I'm trying to change. Which is one of the reasons I joined this site.

Draka

Wonder Woman
How do you mean "less"? As in "second-class" type thinking or in the intelligence department?

Dezzie

Hhmm... it seems to me that maybe your feelings torwards highly religious people may be occuring because of an event that occured in your life. I don't know you at all but do you think your feelings stem from a prievious experience? I also have the same problem. Not torwards all religious people but I find it harder to communicate with Mormons. I used to be part of a Mormon church. Many things happened in that church that made me think differently of Mormons in general. I do know that is not fair because not everyone is the same. Because I realized that, I have been getting better. I am glad I joined the forum too because it helps me realize that more. I do not have anything against Mormons, it was just a past experience with them that made me feel awkward when communicating amongst them. It sounds awful doesn't it? I don't mean in a bad way I promise. :eek:

DarkMaster24

How do you mean "less"? As in "second-class" type thinking or in the intelligence department?

I mean like in intelligence and rationality. Like, I can't help but feel that religious people are a bit stupid. As awful as it sounds, I don't like feeling that way. I wish I could change it.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Thanks Rick (sarcasim)

You know, I don't go arround expressing hate against people of religious groups simply because I disagree with them, so for you to say that kind of sucks.

It's not like if I want to be this way-Indeed, I'm trying to change. Which is one of the reasons I joined this site.

Just why would you take that negatively? :confused:

I said I did not think you where a bigot. I hope you do not believe that being an Atheist is a bad thing because that is what you are right?

Most Atheists I know think they are more objective or smarter than people of faith.

Your feelings of superiority is fairly common. I'm sorry, you did ask and now you are offended? If I wanted to insult you, I would have said you where a bigot. Think about it?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I don't really know what a biggot is. I just know it's not something good. Maybe you should just try to remember that religion isn't the only thing which makes a person who they are. Like my mom, I wouldn't magically lover her more if she decided she didn't believe in god. There is a lot more to her personality than just her religion. I think religion has been made bigger than it really is. When I was little, in school, we never talked about religion. When we met each other at lunch or recess, we didn't say "What is your religion?" We just either liked each other or didn't, and I think maybe you should think more like that than thinking "I don't like you because a lot of people who share your religion stereotype me and are mean to me." or "I don't like you because you don't believe the same thing as I do and I don't know why you would be so persistant in believing that."

Because when you have friends when you are younger, you don't care if they are "smart" or "stupid," wrong or right, or religious or not. You just like them because they are nice to you, or maybe you don't like them because they are mean. I think the key is to remember that everyone is different. I've come across some religious people who I'd like to just punch in the face because they are jerks about their religion, or have ideas that seem completely stupid to the point where it seems like they are just screwing with me, because NO ONE could possibly believe something so stupid, but I have also come across atheists who are the same way; jerks, and with stupid ideas about science. But you've got to remember that just because some religious people are stupid jerks, and just because some non-religious people are stupid jerks doesn't mean they all are. If you think less of entire groups of people just based on the realitiies of a few belonging to the group, you are going to have to think less of everyone in the world.

DarkMaster24

Hhmm... it seems to me that maybe your feelings torwards highly religious people may be occuring because of an event that occured in your life. I don't know you at all but do you think your feelings stem from a prievious experience? I also have the same problem. Not torwards all religious people but I find it harder to communicate with Mormons. I used to be part of a Mormon church. Many things happened in that church that made me think differently of Mormons in general. I do know that is not fair because not everyone is the same. Because I realized that, I have been getting better. I am glad I joined the forum too because it helps me realize that more. I do not have anything against Mormons, it was just a past experience with them that made me feel awkward when communicating amongst them. It sounds awful doesn't it? I don't mean in a bad way I promise. :eek:

Yeah, thats exactly right. I used to go to a protestant church when I was Christian and left once i realized they were brainwashing me by trying to trick me into believing their conservative agenda. I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with the Mormon church and hope you can get over whatever they did to you. Hehe, glad this forrum's helping you too. I must say, it's refreshing being here. I don't think you mean it in a bad way, but thans for empathizing.

Dezzie

I said I did not think you where a bigot. I hope you do not believe that being an Atheist is a bad thing because that is what you are right?

Most Atheists I know think they are more objective or smarter than people of faith.

Your feelings of superiority is fairly common. I'm sorry, you did ask and now you are offended? If I wanted to insult you, I would have said you where a bigot. Think about it?

I agree Rick... there is nothing wrong at all with being an atheist. You are not a biggot either DarkMaster :).

Last edited:

DarkMaster24

Oh? Sorry Rick, I got the implication that you meant I was a biggot becuase I was an Atheist. Sorry for misunderstanding you. And yeah, I am indeed an Atheist, but I try and respect people, weather they are Atheist or not because I believe all people should be treated decently.
I do tend to think that, but like I've said before, I don't want to be that way.

No need for sorries, I just misswread you. My apologies.

Dezzie

Yeah, thats exactly right. I used to go to a protestant church when I was Christian and left once i realized they were brainwashing me by trying to trick me into believing their conservative agenda. I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with the Mormon church and hope you can get over whatever they did to you. Hehe, glad this forrum's helping you too. I must say, it's refreshing being here. I don't think you mean it in a bad way, but thans for empathizing.

Now I understand you a bit more. ;)
It makes complete sense. There really isn't anything wrong with it. A bad experience when we are younger doesn't necessarily mean anything good in our future. This forum is great though. Everyone is so open and nice. I hope you find peace. :) Whenever you need help or have a question, feel free to ask.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
If I think less of people because they are religious? Like people here, people like Kathryn and Watchmen, I think they seem to be like great people, but somehow I feel like I think less of them then I would if they werent religious. I feel bad about it, but I can't help it.
DarkMaster.....with me being the sweet, but honest person that I am, I would have to say that you probably lean toward being a bigot. If you are intolerant or tend to weigh the worth of a person based on their religious or political beliefs then you fit into that category.
You see there are many diverse beliefs and unbeliefs on this forum and even though we all don't agree I have found some wonderful friends with all kinds of great qualities and interests on this forum. You can't judge a book by it's cover is an old saying and it is true. Disagreeing doesn't mean you can't respect someone for their intelligence, knowledge, or sometimes even the humor they bring to the forum. Each one is an individual and all have some characteristic that makes you really like most of them if you give them a chance.
Here's hoping you can really get to know all of us without a preconceived idea and placing us in a category without learning how wonderful we all are first....;)

DarkMaster24

I don't really know what a biggot is. I just know it's not something good. Maybe you should just try to remember that religion isn't the only thing which makes a person who they are. Like my mom, I wouldn't magically lover her more if she decided she didn't believe in god. There is a lot more to her personality than just her religion. I think religion has been made bigger than it really is. When I was little, in school, we never talked about religion. When we met each other at lunch or recess, we didn't say "What is your religion?" We just either liked each other or didn't, and I think maybe you should think more like that than thinking "I don't like you because a lot of people who share your religion stereotype me and are mean to me." or "I don't like you because you don't believe the same thing as I do and I don't know why you would be so persistant in believing that."

It certianly isn't good, and thats why I don't wanna be that way. I don't want to think less of people just because their religious but it's hard to help. You're right and I will try to keep that in mind when in the process of changing myself. Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I appreciate that.

Because when you have friends when you are younger, you don't care if they are "smart" or "stupid," wrong or right, or religious or not. You just like them because they are nice to you, or maybe you don't like them because they are mean. I think the key is to remember that everyone is different. I've come across some religious people who I'd like to just punch in the face because they are jerks about their religion, or have ideas that seem completely stupid to the point where it seems like they are just screwing with me, because NO ONE could possibly believe something so stupid, but I have also come across atheists who are the same way; jerks, and with stupid ideas about science. But you've got to remember that just because some religious people are stupid jerks, and just because some non-religious people are stupid jerks doesn't mean they all are. If you think less of entire groups of people just based on the realitiies of a few belonging to the group, you are going to have to think less of everyone in the world.

True, good point. I wish I could still see people for what they are, instead of judging them based on what they believe in, when ultimately thats not what truley defines a person. You're right to note that there are Atheists who are just as bad as religious people-I've met them and it certianly was an unpleasant experience talking to them. And yeah, it is wrong to judge an entire group based on the actions of a few. Which is why I'm trying to change that.

DarkMaster24

Now I understand you a bit more. ;)
It makes complete sense. There really isn't anything wrong with it. A bad experience when we are younger doesn't necessarily mean anything good in our future. This forum is great though. Everyone is so open and nice. I hope you find peace. :) Whenever you need help or have a question, feel free to ask.

Yeah, I mean it's like if a kid hates the person who molested him is it really his fault? Thank you... that makes me feel better. Yeah, I agree-I've enjoyed my short time here and thanks for all your help. Hopefully, I will and right back at you.

Dezzie

True, good point. I wish I could still see people for what they are, instead of judging them based on what they believe in, when ultimately thats not what truley defines a person. You're right to note that there are Atheists who are just as bad as religious people-I've met them and it certianly was an unpleasant experience talking to them. And yeah, it is wrong to judge an entire group based on the actions of a few. Which is why I'm trying to change that.

Not everybody that is religious in this world looks down on you and what your beliefs are. I know many people can do that but, it is nothing to dwell on. Don't talk to those people if they hurt you that bad. Just let it go and forget about it. Everybody deserves a chance though. Not all of us are closed minded (you may encounter some on this forum) and not all of us are only looking to talk evil of you. You area human being and deserve a chance just like the rest of us do. Only if everybody understood that. :p

Dezzie

Yeah, I mean it's like if a kid hates the person who molested him is it really his fault? Thank you... that makes me feel better. Yeah, I agree-I've enjoyed my short time here and thanks for all your help. Hopefully, I will and right back at you.

Exactly... I have had bad experiences with guys when I was younger. It caused me to not trust anyone. Not until recently I have made more guy friends and gained a Fiance. :)
It wasn't my fault though and what is happening with you, is not yours.
I'm glad I could help at least. It makes me happy to help another person and... you're welcome!

DarkMaster24

DarkMaster.....with me being the sweet, but honest person that I am, I would have to say that you probably lean toward being a bigot. If you are intolerant or tend to weigh the worth of a person based on their religious or political beliefs then you fit into that category.
You see there are many diverse beliefs and unbeliefs on this forum and even though we all don't agree I have found some wonderful friends with all kinds of great qualities and interests on this forum. You can't judge a book by it's cover is an old saying and it is true. Disagreeing doesn't mean you can't respect someone for their intelligence, knowledge, or sometimes even the humor they bring to the forum. Each one is an individual and all have some characteristic that makes you really like most of them if you give them a chance.
Here's hoping you can really get to know all of us without a preconceived idea and placing us in a category without learning how wonderful we all are first....;)

Thank you for the honesty and thank you for answering my question.

Haha, glad to hear you're open-minded. Atleast thats true for one of us, hehe. Yeah, I don't hate people who are religious but still i can't help but think that of them. I guess that is kind of biggotted. You're totally right and it's not a good reason. Thats why I feel guilty about it, I suppose.

Yeah, one of my hopes when joining this forrum was to expand my mind and learn new things about people who's veiws differ then my own.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I think you are just being honest. I have opinions about uneducated people preaching in churches who cannot even read. Some of these people speak in tongues and handle snakes. When people see these things, they lump all religious folks together.

Now, before I get into trouble, I believe they have a right to their religion, I just have opinions of them. Most others think this as well, but will not say it for fear of not being politically correct.

DarkMaster24

Not everybody that is religious in this world looks down on you and what your beliefs are. I know many people can do that but, it is nothing to dwell on. Don't talk to those people if they hurt you that bad. Just let it go and forget about it. Everybody deserves a chance though. Not all of us are closed minded (you may encounter some on this forum) and not all of us are only looking to talk evil of you. You area human being and deserve a chance just like the rest of us do. Only if everybody understood that. :p

I know. I think thats another reason I hate my current mindset. So many religious people do do good things. Very true.... I don't talk to them at all anymore. One of them tried to friend me on reunion.com, but I rejected his invitation. I daresay, that I haven't really encountered anyone who's close-minded though. Hehe, thank you. Thats a nice thing to hear.