• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Satanic Introduction

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi everyone my name's Sean, and I identify as an atheistic satanist. I can't wait to debate/talk about religion here. I know there's a lot of questions/misconceptions about satanism. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

Welcome.
Lessee...questions...

What sort of structure or dogma do you subscribe to, beyond a starting point of atheistic Satanism?
Why?

Nice easy ones to start with. Later I'll ask about important stuff, like...err..basketball.

Topaz27

Thanks for the welcomes, and the surprising amount of cake. While I definitely won't catch all questions in this post, I'll answer more questions tomorrow.
But yeah I don't worship any spiritual/supernatural beings. Hence the atheistic label. I'm specifically part of the satanic temple. So not the church of Satan/LaVayen Satanism. But we are slightly inspired but him.

Also if you ever heard of the baphomet statue, that was us

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi everyone my name's Sean, and I identify as an atheistic satanist. I can't wait to debate/talk about religion here. I know there's a lot of questions/misconceptions about satanism. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask :)
upload_2020-9-29_17-12-37.gif

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
It would seem like atheism and Satanism are opposing positions. How do you combine the two?

Topaz27

It would seem like atheism and Satanism are opposing positions. How do you combine the two?

So for me and basically everyone in the satanic temple, we do not believe in a literal satan. Just a symbolic one. The original hebrew(?) word satan did not necessarily mean the devil. It just meant an opposing force. That's why many people think that the snake in the garden of eden was the Satan. It was not, just a lesser satan. Most of us grew up in Christian backgrounds, so we use the name satan to express that idea of opposing tyranny of any kind. But we mainly focus on the separation of church and state rn. You can almost think of the satanic temple as part political movement, but all religion.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Thanks for the welcomes, and the surprising amount of cake. While I definitely won't catch all questions in this post, I'll answer more questions tomorrow.
But yeah I don't worship any spiritual/supernatural beings. Hence the atheistic label. I'm specifically part of the satanic temple. So not the church of Satan/LaVayen Satanism. But we are slightly inspired but him.

Also if you ever heard of the baphomet statue, that was us
Welcome to RF, fellow Sacred Clown.
Have some Slayer Cakes. It's the wind-down to the election. There's plenty of delusion to dispel, so you'll need your strength.
Slayer cakes.jpg

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
So for me and basically everyone in the satanic temple, we do not believe in a literal satan. Just a symbolic one. The original hebrew(?) word satan did not necessarily mean the devil. It just meant an opposing force. That's why many people think that the snake in the garden of eden was the Satan. It was not, just a lesser satan. Most of us grew up in Christian backgrounds, so we use the name satan to express that idea of opposing tyranny of any kind. But we mainly focus on the separation of church and state rn. You can almost think of the satanic temple as part political movement, but all religion.

Is this a subset of the normal Satanic Temples? I ask because normally they do worship the entity called Satan. And if it is a "religion" as you mentioned, how do you synthesize with atheists who say it isn't a religion?

Obviously, if there is a lesser satan, then there is a greater Satan.

How do you define tyranny?

Topaz27

Is this a subset of the normal Satanic Temples? I ask because normally they do worship the entity called Satan. And if it is a "religion" as you mentioned, how do you synthesize with atheists who say it isn't a religion?

Obviously, if there is a lesser satan, then there is a greater Satan.

How do you define tyranny?

So the Satanic Temple is just the name of the religion. Basically like Lutheran or Catholic. There's many forms of satanism, though most have veryyyyyy lose connections between each other.

There's are actually many atheistic religions. Take some forms of buddhism, some see buddha as merely a man who reached enlightenment, but not a godly status. I didn't explain the lesser satan part very well. As the language evolved satan began to mean spirit, and not just an opposing force. I don't believe in any spiritual/supernatural being.

Defining tyranny can be a little tricky. I would personally describe it as any form of power that restricts basic human rights. But of course the question becomes what are basic human rights.

Topaz27

You do believe in satan? Welcome anyhow. I'm not sure of the spirit side of satan worshiping, how can an imaginary spirit that came from the bowls of Earth be worshipped?
Interesting

I do not believe/worship a literal Satan.

Honestly not sure why anyone would worship a literal Satan, but some people definitely do. To each their own I guess.

Topaz27

I was under the impression Satan is more a god of indulgences. But your question did give me a question.... what do theistic Satanists and people of the Abrahamic faith agree with regarding this deity?

From the little I know about theistic satanist, both they and christians agree that Satan is the counterpart to God. Trying to stop his will and all of that jazz. They just believe that God is the one doing the ****ty stuff. And in some cases I honestly have to agree with them

Milton Platt

Well, I know what an atheist is, since I am one. But I don't really have a handle on what a Satanist is. There are probably others here who are a little fuzzy on the subject. Can you Give a quick and dirty outline?