• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Satanic Introduction

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So we removed the androgynous features in fear of the statue being taken down, just because it had female breasts. So we solved the issue by adding a young boy and girl at each side of the seated baphomet. Did we want to do it? No. But there's a good chance it would've been declined if we hadn't changed it slightly
Yeah, I figured that was the reason. No worries. It's not a big deal.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So for me and basically everyone in the satanic temple, we do not believe in a literal satan. Just a symbolic one. The original hebrew(?) word satan did not necessarily mean the devil. It just meant an opposing force. That's why many people think that the snake in the garden of eden was the Satan. It was not, just a lesser satan. Most of us grew up in Christian backgrounds, so we use the name satan to express that idea of opposing tyranny of any kind. But we mainly focus on the separation of church and state rn. You can almost think of the satanic temple as part political movement, but all religion.

What is the force in opposition to?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The Satanic Temple was basically just started to troll fundie Christians who were trying to violate the separation of church and state, and they use shock imagery (well, shocking to a pearl clutching grandma in Idaho, I guess) to make a point. But it's really just secular humanism. They don't have anything to do with the occult, ritual practices, magick, etc. I mean, that's fine but I agree that it's a bit boring. A lot of other Satanists don't like them, honestly.

I was just about to ask without the jargon and history, what was unique about the religion and its core tenants. Hm.

Topaz27

I was just about to ask without the jargon and history, what was unique about the religion and its core tenants. Hm.

Here's are 7 tenets. All really great, and honestly better then the 10 commandments imo
Link:THERE ARE SEVEN FUNDAMENTAL TENETS

And then the ancient word satan, just meant an opposing force in general. It was eventually adopted by ancient jews to specifically mean opposing their god/religion. And then into an opposing being/spirit. To an evil being. And eventually into the personification of evil, Satan.

Also if such a being did exist that was the literal embodiment of evil. I would not worship it. And I doubt any other members of the satanic temple would either

Bear Wild

Sort of in the same vein as atheistic Christian maybe. Not sure what that would mean, but interested in finding out what an atheistic Satanist is.
I have been recently listening to a podcast for atheistic pagans. They incorporate rituals, holidays, and other practices seen in other pagan groups but without gods or goddesses. They are completely routed in science but find meaning in the rituals and celebrating the natural world. I find it interesting how they feel the need for rituals and celebrations such as the different celestial events equinoxes, solstices, and the four quarter days of the year.
Evidently there is a pagan Quaker group too which is interesting to me since I was raised as a Quaker when I was young.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Attachments

• 20200930_230352.jpg
    20200930_230352.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 0

Topaz27

I have been recently listening to a podcast for atheistic pagans. They incorporate rituals, holidays, and other practices seen in other pagan groups but without gods or goddesses. They are completely routed in science but find meaning in the rituals and celebrating the natural world. I find it interesting how they feel the need for rituals and celebrations such as the different celestial events equinoxes, solstices, and the four quarter days of the year.
Evidently there is a pagan Quaker group too which is interesting to me since I was raised as a Quaker when I was young.

I think the wanting for ritual is partially in the community aspect. Also it just kinda seems to be something that humans like. It's shared across basically all cultures all over the world, and not just for religious/spiritual reasons. Congrats leaving the quakers though, it must not have been easy. Also could I get the name of the podcast?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Thanks for the welcomes, and the surprising amount of cake. While I definitely won't catch all questions in this post, I'll answer more questions tomorrow.
But yeah I don't worship any spiritual/supernatural beings. Hence the atheistic label. I'm specifically part of the satanic temple. So not the church of Satan/LaVayen Satanism. But we are slightly inspired but him.

Also if you ever heard of the baphomet statue, that was us

I have a membership card! :)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Is this a subset of the normal Satanic Temples? I ask because normally they do worship the entity called Satan. And if it is a "religion" as you mentioned, how do you synthesize with atheists who say it isn't a religion?

Obviously, if there is a lesser satan, then there is a greater Satan.

How do you define tyranny?

I'm an atheist. It's a religion, but one I find interesting. I don't personally see the need for the religious trappings, but I have commonly at least seen the point behind their positions.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I'm an atheist. It's a religion, but one I find interesting. I don't personally see the need for the religious trappings, but I have commonly at least seen the point behind their positions.
Interesting. I have said in the past it is a religion but have had pushback by other atheists. I suppose that in any religion, there are different viewpoints.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. I have said in the past it is a religion but have had pushback by other atheists. I suppose that in any religion, there are different viewpoints.

Atheism isn't a religion, so atheists views on almost everything can vary a lot.
It's like thinking about theists. Whilst they all have a belief in God, there is a lot of variance in how they look at the world (whether religious or not).

Topaz27

Atheism isn't a religion, so atheists views on almost everything can vary a lot.
It's like thinking about theists. Whilst they all have a belief in God, there is a lot of variance in how they look at the world (whether religious or not).

Yeah that's one of the benefits of being in a religion, compared to just being an atheist. As I'm sure you know atheism is just about one belief, but satanism is about several. It includes skepticism, pro-choice, religious pluralism, atheism, etc. So in that way I find it more useful. Of course most people don't really know what the "doctrine" of the satanic temple is. But of course just like any religion, there is variation between satanist to satanist

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah that's one of the benefits of being in a religion, compared to just being an atheist. As I'm sure you know atheism is just about one belief, but satanism is about several. It includes skepticism, pro-choice, religious pluralism, atheism, etc. So in that way I find it more useful. Of course most people don't really know what the "doctrine" of the satanic temple is. But of course just like any religion, there is variation between satanist to satanist

Atheism isn't useful at all, so I see what you mean in terms of positive beliefs on top of atheism being more useful.
That would apply whether those beliefs are religious or not (say...humanism).

And your point about variation between individuals make sense too.

Topaz27

Atheism isn't useful at all, so I see what you mean in terms of positive beliefs on top of atheism being more useful.
That would apply whether those beliefs are religious or not (say...humanism).

And your point about variation between individuals make sense too.

Yeah I definitely agree with the first paragraph. Funny enough satanists are both religious and humanists.

And by the variation thing I just meant that if you were to go into a church every member of the congregation is going to have slightly different views. The same thing goes for satanists, just to a slightly greater extent.

Oof just realized you said that my point makes sense. Just forget about that last paragraph

danieldemol

Premium Member
Hi everyone my name's Sean, and I identify as an atheistic satanist. I can't wait to debate/talk about religion here. I know there's a lot of questions/misconceptions about satanism. So if you have any questions, feel free to ask :)
Welcome to RF :)