• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your honest-to-goodness feelings on atheists.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was only speaking for myself. I find atheism depressing. And I explained why.

The thread title is " Your honest-to-goodness feelings on atheists.'.

I'm about as theist as you can get, yet I don't find atheism all that depressing. (But if you do, you do, I'm not trying to argue the point, just sharing experience. I find other religious versions of theism far more depressing. :)

Sabour

It's not quite exactly what I meant - I am aware that Islam doesn't share the doctrines of original salvation and salvation by grace...the fast track lane to heaven, but there are many similarities with Judaism and Christianity because of what they share in common, the big difference I see is 'we have a different book, and this one is the real divine revelation.'

I understand if you don't want to answer and I am sorry to ask this again. But can I know these specific things you are talking about. If you don't want me to address them I won't. But it really means much to me if you can tell me about them.

If Muslim missionaries or evangelists showed up at my door in a similar manner as Christian missionaries, I would probably think of them as something similar to the Mormons...who also have a book that they claim is divinely inspired.

Well I read yesterday on this forums something referred to as a new tactic. I think no Muslim engages in that. Hope no muslim read that thread though :D They might overreact, as they always do

brokensymmetry

ground state
I've been atheist and theist, as many have been, and I can't say I've been happier one way or the other. I was a pretty comfortable atheist, viewed life as a rich experience full of interesting things to learn. Theism added a layer to that which diminished it in some ways and added an unexpected not altogether unpleasant element also. But as an atheist you can have a lot of strong values and sense of meaning and orientation int he world. I don't think theism or atheism is really what makes the difference in having a depressed attitude to life.

samosasauce

Atheists as a group in general are fine and dandy. But there are many subsets of them, and some are much more agreeable and open-minded than others. Just like with any group.

edwinic

How do you feel about atheists?
they are angry
no morals
angry at their fathers
actually they are agnostics
they believe in nothing
they believe in evolution
they idolize stalin, polpot, mao tse tung...yes hitler
they believe in science
they hate God

God bless the atheists

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
they are angry
no morals
angry at their fathers
they believe in nothing
they believe in science
they hate God

God bless the atheists

Yeah, but how do you feel about them?

Nymphs

they are angry

Nope. Actually, you'll find most of us are quite happy. The angry stereotype has long since been disproved.

no morals

Wrong again. I have very clear morals that I live by. They may not be the morals a religious person would live by, but they are pretty damn close. Basically do no harm to others is what I live by.

angry at their fathers

My dad is quite fabulous and he helped me to see "the light". As a child he taught me to question everything, and I have. Thus I am where I am now, an atheist.

Nope. Strong atheist here.

they believe in nothing

Wrong. All atheism is at its core is a disbelief in god(s) and the supernatural. Nothing more, nothing less. I believe in love, hope, happiness, committment, etc.

Evolution is a scientific fact. I don't need to believe in it for it to be true.

Wrong again. My idols are Bill Nye, Jane Goodall, Neil deGrasse Tyson, etc.

they believe in science

The great thing about science is that it is true whether you believe it or not.

they hate God

Nope. God just doesn't exist. No hate there.

edwinic

Meaning, where i live, religionist are having a party of their life - god blessing each other, telling how good God is, and anticipating heaven, and, and.....now comes a few saying, "hey, could it be that there is no God"?

You can almost see the reaction; many pick up the cudgel of defense, some stopped and listened, a few agreed to discuss, and most of those on the fence sitting prepared to listen.

jimniki

supremely undecisive
God's love is unconditional. He loves each person no matter what anyone's sins are and He offers forgiveness and an everlasting life of freedom to all who want to spend eternity in His presence and love.

"He"? Sorry to Interrupt your fantasy, I'm not up todate on the official gender of god... Where have I been. Does he have a beard? Does he look a bit like you?

Did I just enter the "mental" forum by mistake?
Don't take this personally, most religious people like to personify the concept of god into something they can relate to. If there was a god, I'm bloody sure "it" doesn't have a beard, is not human, and would certainly not consider "us" as the centre of attention.

And you call non believers lost? Hilarious....seriously... How old are you? 9?

Thana

Lady
How do you feel about atheists?

Well, If we're being honest, I've already ascertained that they're not going to have the same perspective as me, Which doesn't really change much about my opinion on them, But it does make my expectations of them marginally lower.

jimniki

supremely undecisive
That's right, you just stereotype people based on your interaction with 3 of them...
You don't know me, yet you consider yourself superior! Wow, you're gonna make a lot of friends...

It's people like you who genuinely will benefit from religion ...
Comments you make which degrade many others is a reflection of poor taste on you, not the recipients...

Thana

Lady
That's right, you just stereotype people based on your interaction with 3 of them...
You don't know me, yet you consider yourself superior! Wow, you're gonna make a lot of friends...

It's people like you who genuinely will benefit from religion ...
Comments you make which degrade many others is a reflection of poor taste on you, not the recipients...

Was that directed at me? I'm not sure.
If it was, I don't see whats wrong with expecting less of them. Why wouldn't I?
I'm not judging them, I'm just not expecting them to attribute the things I do with God, To have God's ideals or to try to be like Him.

I definitely don't see myself as superior, Just an individual, as they are individuals.

I think you misinterpreted what I said :shrug:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Do you also apply this bit of advice to yourself?

If so, one wonders why you discard it in the three sentences proceeding it?