• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Field of Study/Profession

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The point to take away is that every science degree includes an A.S.S. degree, though they don't always tell you. Its just added value. The same goes for Master's degrees and the presumed included B.S. I can't imagine how you have overlooked it all these years.

It does make me wonder who would want two B.S. degrees.
I've no degree before the BSE.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Can I just say how impressed I am by the number of members who have advanced degrees in computer science and engineering? I could never do what you do. I have never been mechanically or technologically oriented. I was always more of a English/History nerd than a Math/Science nerd as a kid.

At this point I can't even get my stupid wireless headphones to sync with my phone. :mad:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Can I just say how impressed I am by the number of members who have advanced degrees in computer science and engineering? I could never do what you do. I have never been mechanically or technologically oriented. I was always more of a English/History nerd than a Math/Science nerd as a kid.

At this point I can't even get my stupid wireless headphones to sync with my phone. :mad:
Technology is easier than people & business.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member

Wireless is cool but currently still kind of evil.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Never got to university -- it was out of reach for an orphan, with some lingering emotional disturbance from a battered childhood, dumped on the streets at 17.

However, once I got working in a clerical job, I managed to get an accounting designation (Registered Industrial Accountant) many years ago. This got me to the position of Accounting Manager for a smelting firm, and as such, I bought them their first computer. I learned to program by myself, and eventually moved out of accounting altogether, and took a back-step to programmer. I worked very hard at that, and eventually had roles such as Project Manager, Database Administrator, Architect, Director of Architecture, and VP/CTO for a major international insurance company. (Not the whole company, just its Canadian operations, but still...)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Never got to university -- it was out of reach for an orphan, with some lingering emotional disturbance from a battered childhood, dumped on the streets at 17.

However, once I got working in a clerical job, I managed to get an accounting designation (Registered Industrial Accountant) many years ago. This got me to the position of Accounting Manager for a smelting firm, and as such, I bought them their first computer. I learned to program by myself, and eventually moved out of accounting altogether, and took a back-step to programmer. I worked very hard at that, and eventually had roles such as Project Manager, Database Administrator, Architect, Director of Architecture, and VP/CTO for a major international insurance company. (Not the whole company, just its Canadian operations, but still...)
Degrees?
I don't need degrees.
I don't need no stinking degrees!

Tumah

Veteran Member
How effective did you find just one year of study to be in preparing you for a full-time job in cybersecurity? I'm curious because it's such a relatively complex field, and most people I know who work in it had at least four years of college prior to getting a job.
It really depends on the individual, the specific area in cybersecurity and [social] networking. I haven't noticed that most jobs require a BA, as much as I've noticed that most jobs want to see either experience or certs proving you know the job. In Israel at least, there are many places (definitely not all and very few of the big companies, but still a decent number) that are willing to train provided you come in with a certain level of knowledge. Mostly, it's going to be the junior positions, tier 1 SOC, etc. But for people like me who can't wait 4 years to get a job, it got my foot in the door for me to start building up experience.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
My first university degree was in zoology, which enabled me to gain admission to one of our country's two medical schools. I completed a medical degree after having a few years away from formal studies then later completed a post graduate fellowship in general practice. I've been a practicing MD for over 20 years. I've spent the last 13 years working in general practice and the 7 years before that as a psychiatry intern.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I have a high school regents diploma and that's it. The following 15 years I studied mostly Talmud in various Jewish seminaries.
About 3 years ago the money was starting to run dry, so I spent the year studying Cybersecurity and that's my current field and profession.
Given the world and especially the IT environment today, that's a wonderful field to be in for job security and more.