• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Field of Study/Profession

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a Bachelor's in Psychology and a Master's Degree in Healthcare Administration. I made it halfway through a Master's in Industrial/Organizational Psychology but realized I hated it and cut my losses.

I have worked in various administrative and management roles for the past 10 years in psychiatric and primary care offices.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep! The university I went to had funding from the Methodist denomination. I had a minor in religion and by the end, I was ~2 classes away from a major. So I took an extra semester and got the double major. At one time, I want considering seminary and the Methodist organization had a deal with the university graduates if they had a religion major from my uni. I ended up changing paths but it was a viable option.

Fascinating. I knew next to nothing about the UMC till I started dating my current partner a few years ago. Lovely people overall (at least the more progressive ones here in the US).

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
That sounds really interesting. Pain science interests me, especially as I've heard a lot of doctors aren't well trained in it and apparently those with the best pain training are vets.

A lot of pain science is VERY new, and agreed, a lot of doctors aren't current. Here's a really short course (obviously simplified), that could be useful:

- there aren't really "pain" receptors in our body. There are receptors that report on heat, cold, and various kinds of pressure or stretching. Those receptors send data to the brain and the brain, based on that data and on all of its experience, and the context "decides" whether or not to create pain signals.

- one of the brain's top priorities is to keep your body safe. and it's VERY conservative (seems like a good approach). For example, the brain is good at predicting whether a situation might end with rapid deceleration (like jumping from a high place), and tends to avoid such activities.

- when the brain decides you've been injured, one of its chief strategies is to put the injured area into "lock down". So if you hurt your wrist or ankle or whatever, the brain will send pain signals if you try to move the injured tissue. Again, a good strategy to promote healing.

- But there is a sort of "brain bug"... when everything is functioning well in your body, the brain and body have a strong, richly detailed "proprioceptive map". In other words, the brain gets a steady steam of detailed feedback from all over the body, and that makes the brain feel confident. But when you lock down a part of the body for even a short time, the communication channel gets fuzzy and the data not so reliable. This weakened comm. channel makes the brain concerned, and one of its strategies is to further "lock down" that spot in your body. So one side effect of locking down a body part to promote healing is that the brain-body communications get weakened. Now we're into a negative feedback loop.

So a very common occurrence is that months and years after damaged tissue has healed, the brain is still keeping that tissue in lockdown, just to be safe.

PRACTICAL STRATEGY: As soon as your doctor says it's safe to, you want to start doing movement exploration exercises with the healing tissue. The more pain-free movement exploration you can do with the healing tissue, the sooner your brain will regain confidence and relax its lockdown, and reduce its pain messages.

AMAZING FACT: The correlation between pain and tissue damage is surprisingly weak!!!! This is really not intuitive and you have to let that idea rattle around in your mind for a while. In one study, a large collection of the world's best spinal surgeons were given a large collection of spinal x-rays. As a group, these top doctors were completely UNABLE TO PREDICT which patients were in pain and which were not. Healthy looking spines were crippling some patients and seemingly damaged spines were not hindering others.

ANOTHER PRACTICAL STRATEGY: If your doctor approves, you should be doing controlled articular rotations (CARs), every day. These "stretching on steroids" exercises will help you maintain a strong, detailed mind-body map and will also allow your brain to relax any of the lockdowns it is maintaining that you might not be aware of.

ANOTHER CRITICAL FACT: As time passes, the field of biomechanics is suffering from a lot of valid criticism. Top performers in ALL fields DO NOT repeat bio-mechanically "perfect" movements. Individuals who take this approach are far more likely to suffer from repetitive motion injuries. So the best blacksmiths, and dart throwers and tennis players and on an on, DO NOT exhibit perfect, repeating form. In fact every iteration of their movements is different than that last.

IT'S A SYSTEM: Another idea that's appropriately losing steam is that disfunction of some tissue is a problem with that tissue. Sometimes yes, very frequently NO. If your ankle is stiff and sore, it could be because you have poor hip mobility. Many cutting edge PTs have a sort of running joke "guess the actual culprit". Your whole movement system is A SYSTEM. For example, if you have lower back pain, it's quite likely that your lower back is just fine, but it's being stressed out because some other part of your system is out of whack! And the current thinking is that we cannot know for sure what's out of whack, so the best strategy is to make sure the whole system is as healthy and mobile as possible. So for example, more mobile ankles might cure lower back pain, more mobile shoulders might cure lower back pain, and so on.

Again, check with your doctor, but doing those CARs every day can cure a surprising amount of pain...

ho ho ho

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
A lot of pain science is VERY new, and agreed, a lot of doctors aren't current. Here's a really short course (obviously simplified), that could be useful:

- there aren't really "pain" receptors in our body. There are receptors that report on heat, cold, and various kinds of pressure or stretching. Those receptors send data to the brain and the brain, based on that data and on all of its experience, and the context "decides" whether or not to create pain signals.

- one of the brain's top priorities is to keep your body safe. and it's VERY conservative (seems like a good approach). For example, the brain is good at predicting whether a situation might end with rapid deceleration (like jumping from a high place), and tends to avoid such activities.

- when the brain decides you've been injured, one of its chief strategies is to put the injured area into "lock down". So if you hurt your wrist or ankle or whatever, the brain will send pain signals if you try to move the injured tissue. Again, a good strategy to promote healing.

- But there is a sort of "brain bug"... when everything is functioning well in your body, the brain and body have a strong, richly detailed "proprioceptive map". In other words, the brain gets a steady steam of detailed feedback from all over the body, and that makes the brain feel confident. But when you lock down a part of the body for even a short time, the communication channel gets fuzzy and the data not so reliable. This weakened comm. channel makes the brain concerned, and one of its strategies is to further "lock down" that spot in your body. So one side effect of locking down a body part to promote healing is that the brain-body communications get weakened. Now we're into a negative feedback loop.

So a very common occurrence is that months and years after damaged tissue has healed, the brain is still keeping that tissue in lockdown, just to be safe.

PRACTICAL STRATEGY: As soon as your doctor says it's safe to, you want to start doing movement exploration exercises with the healing tissue. The more pain-free movement exploration you can do with the healing tissue, the sooner your brain will regain confidence and relax its lockdown, and reduce its pain messages.

AMAZING FACT: The correlation between pain and tissue damage is surprisingly weak!!!! This is really not intuitive and you have to let that idea rattle around in your mind for a while. In one study, a large collection of the world's best spinal surgeons were given a large collection of spinal x-rays. As a group, these top doctors were completely UNABLE TO PREDICT which patients were in pain and which were not. Healthy looking spines were crippling some patients and seemingly damaged spines were not hindering others.

ANOTHER PRACTICAL STRATEGY: If your doctor approves, you should be doing controlled articular rotations (CARs), every day. These "stretching on steroids" exercises will help you maintain a strong, detailed mind-body map and will also allow your brain to relax any of the lockdowns it is maintaining that you might not be aware of.

ANOTHER CRITICAL FACT: As time passes, the field of biomechanics is suffering from a lot of valid criticism. Top performers in ALL fields DO NOT repeat bio-mechanically "perfect" movements. Individuals who take this approach are far more likely to suffer from repetitive motion injuries. So the best blacksmiths, and dart throwers and tennis players and on an on, DO NOT exhibit perfect, repeating form. In fact every iteration of their movements is different than that last.

IT'S A SYSTEM: Another idea that's appropriately losing steam is that disfunction of some tissue is a problem with that tissue. Sometimes yes, very frequently NO. If your ankle is stiff and sore, it could be because you have poor hip mobility. Many cutting edge PTs have a sort of running joke "guess the actual culprit". Your whole movement system is A SYSTEM. For example, if you have lower back pain, it's quite likely that your lower back is just fine, but it's being stressed out because some other part of your system is out of whack! And the current thinking is that we cannot know for sure what's out of whack, so the best strategy is to make sure the whole system is as healthy and mobile as possible. So for example, more mobile ankles might cure lower back pain, more mobile shoulders might cure lower back pain, and so on.

Again, check with your doctor, but doing those CARs every day can cure a surprising amount of pain...

ho ho ho
Comprehensive and fascinating. Thanks.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I got a BS in Chemistry and started a PhD program in "Colloid and Surface Chemistry". The 60's intervened and I wound up with a MS Chemistry and an MA in Psychology.

I thought I was going to be a therapist but was having trouble getting started. Someone with a great deal of real world experience asked me "what are you good at that people will pay you for"?

Thinking deeply about that question, like many others, I wound up in computers first as a COBOL coder, then a vertical market app developer and then as a sysadmin mostly with Unix/Linux systems.

I never had the bedsheets and lunchbox of the song but otherwise...

Oh, I'm a sysadmin and I'm OK,
I grep all night and I chown all day.
[choir] He's a sysadmin and he's OK,
He greps all night and he chowns all day.

I ping the nodes, I do PM, I awk and perl and sed.
I've got a Star Wars lunchbox, and Tron sheets on my bed!

While I'm mentally deteriorated from the time, I used to swim in a 'regular expression' sea as this URL matching RE illustrates:

1442490495url.jpg

amorphous_constellation

well.. It's not very glorious, but I'm a material handler / forklift driver..

I guess being mathematically minded might help someone do the job actually, there are probably equations you could run to figure out how much material presses need, otherwise you have to empty them .. driving the fork truck is sort of 'mathematical' too, you have to know the limits of what you are doing weight wise from a fulcrum point

All that stuff I just kind of trust my gut on

A lot of times my clothes are black with oil, since I'm cleaning stuff

As a side project, I can play many musical instruments, though I don't know how to make money with it. Sometimes I make instrument tracks for people's songs online

I guess I am apparently some kind of 'thinker,' but I don't really know how to utilize that for money either

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I earned a bachelor of science in Agricultural Communications--I always tell people it's talking with plants and animals. Seriously, though, it was reporting, and I got a job at a newspaper with it.

I earned a master of arts in Environmental Studies, as it supported my role as a public information officer for a state agency.

I earned a Doctor of Public Administration, a specialty PhD, which qualified me to diagnose and treat the ills of public organizations. I taught at university for 9 years; I'm now retired, as I suffer from a general burnout of my mental abilities...

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
well.. It's not very glorious, but I'm a material handler / forklift driver..

I guess being mathematically minded might help someone do the job actually, there are probably equations you could run to figure out how much material presses need, otherwise you have to empty them .. driving the fork truck is sort of 'mathematical' too, you have to know the limits of what you are doing weight wise from a fulcrum point

All that stuff I just kind of trust my gut on

A lot of times my clothes are black with oil, since I'm cleaning stuff

As a side project, I can play many musical instruments, though I don't know how to make money with it. Sometimes I make instrument tracks for people's songs online

I guess I am apparently some kind of 'thinker,' but I don't really know how to utilize that for money either
University and higher degrees are not for everyone, and some of the smartest and wisest people I know did not attend or did not complete university. Sounds like you've got a lot of variety in you life, which sounds good to me!:cool:

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Fascinating. I knew next to nothing about the UMC till I started dating my current partner a few years ago. Lovely people overall (at least the more progressive ones here in the US).
Interestingly, the reason did not attend is because they released an official statement that year standing against homosexuality. In good conscience, I could not financially support an institution that took that stand, so I didn't.

Tumah

Veteran Member
While I'm mentally deteriorated from the time, I used to swim in a 'regular expression' sea as this URL matching RE illustrates:

1442490495url.jpg
Why don't you drop your literal for a hex code and some metacharacters instead of those ranges in your regex?
(http|https|ftp)\:\x2f{2}([\w\-\.]+\.[\w]{2,4}):)[\d]+)?\/?([\S]*)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Interestingly, the reason did not attend is because they released an official statement that year standing against homosexuality. In good conscience, I could not financially support an institution that took that stand, so I didn't.

Good for you (and thank you).

Thankfully I think they've moved away from that depending on region of the country you're in. The UMC churches in the US may schism from the global denomination over it.