• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your experiences with friendships across belief divides?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’d like to read about people’s experiences with friendships across belief divides. I’m especially interested in friendships across liberal/conservative divides, and across religious/anti-religious divides.

(Edited to add the following)
I have some new ideas about what I’d like to see here. I’d like to see what fruits people have seen from their experiences with friendships across the widest belief divides, what problems they’ve had with them, and what they’ve learned to do to improve the fruits and avoid or resolve the problems. I’m interested in experiences across all belief divides, but again I’m especially interested in experiences across religious/anti-religious divides, and across liberal/conservative divides.

Also I’d like to know, from people who have consciously tried to be friends with people across those divides, what motivates you to do that?

Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member
I have friends and family of different backgrounds and belief systems. Call me a coward if you want, but I simply avoid conflict with them and try to keep things peaceful. I avoid subjects I know are going to end up in bad discussions and useless arguments.
As long as there is kindness and respect on both sides, it can work well. I am more at ease with people who share my beliefs though. I feel like I can say whatever I want near them, while with people of different views I'm a lot more careful. I'm always trying to select the right things to say and the right way to approach a subject so it doesn't feel offensive to them.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I try hard to look at a person by who they are, and how they act, not by their belief. Many people I know aren't proseltysers, so I don't even know what they believe. It's just not a topic that comes up much. When I taught, I worked with many Christians. The yappy mouthy ones let me know they were Christian soon into our professional association, and others simply didn't. The first type, in my experience, were insecure in their faith. More than once someone from the second group apologised to me for the behaviour of someone in the first group.

From my POV, what you do is an indicator of religiousity, not what you say.

As kids in high school, the Christians of all sorts, atheists, everyone ... we all partied together, all played on sports teams, etc. Nobody ever talked about it.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I’d like to read about people’s experiences with friendships across belief divides. I’m especially interested in friendships across liberal/conservative divides, and across religious/anti-religious divides.

I tend not to bring up political or religious views unless asked, though I am a sucker for comparative religious discussion. But even if it does come up, it's usually not a problem unless the other person the judgmental sort, in which case I'd have to question why I'd be friends with such a person to begin with.

dianaiad

I have no problems being friends with people of all sorts, as long as they don't have problems being friends with me.

That can be a problem, however. I'll never forget my freshman high school year. I was transplanted from a small school in an all Mormon town, where the seventh and eighth grades were taught in the same classroom. It was a very small town. Then my dad got a job at JPL at Edwards AFB, and I was plunked into a high school with a student body larger than many universities. My graduating class had 3000 students.

I learned all about culture shock. ;)

but I found a friend. She was kind, and helpful, and we laughed together. She helped me hugely those first two or three months, gracefully letting me know what to do...and what not to do. I went to her church events, (which were fun) and to parties. Then I made a mistake. I invited her to one of MY youth events; a church dance. That's when she found out that I was....gasp....a MORMON! She, quite literally, held her cross out against me and backed up for ten or so feet, then turned and ran.

For the rest of my high school career, she was my avowed enemy. Because of her, I...who did not date and never kissed a boy until I was nearly 18...had the reputation of a whore. We had to change our phone number several times. My name held pride of place in the boy's restroom. She was the reason I did NOT date anybody at all in high school, though trust me, I got asked out a lot. She made my life hell, frankly.Even my 'counselor' believed the stories, and gauged his advice to me using them.

I have had similar experiences since, though none that affected my life quite that much.

So I have learned; yes, I can be friends across religious and political lines....as long as nobody knows what my religious and political stands are. Somehow, people just want to go after right wingers and Mormons, y'know?

whirlingmerc

I always enjoy getting to know other views and other people with different views

Knowing someone 'from a distance only' leads to shallow caricature

ManSinha

This is an interesting thread - I quite literally wear my religious identity on my sleeve - cannot hide it even I wanted to (it was designed that way but that is another discussion for another day)

I grew up in a cosmopolitan city one of the largest in the world - moved across the Atlantic to a small but liberal town and then to the deep south of the US - and then through to the West Coast

I must say that similar to @dianaiad - the experience in the deep south - with a church literally at every street corner - was interesting. Both before and particularly after 9/11 - after which people either went out of their way to be nice to me or threw those hateful glances my way that usually mean someone wishes you never appeared in the first place

I am a middle of the road conservative but have people in my family from a couple of different religious backgrounds. One comes from a proselytizing group and this individual needed to told firmly once - admittedly more than a decade ago - to keep their religious views to themselves and the line has not been crossed since

Politically also - I tend to keep my counsel to myself unless asked - and even then I try to gauge if the ask-er is ready to hear what I have to say

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
It's all dependent on others listening skills for me . I don't regard people's tendencies such as atheism or religious beliefs conservative or liberal to be important at all and more revealing than informative. I tend to tune-out and tone-in with people in persona. Most of what is said, is nonsense but underneath what is said there is a tonality I pay attention to. Here on RF tonality actually does not exist literally. Writing can convey it but not really. Prosody is another term for what i mean by tonality.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
I have a good friend who is stupidly "conservative" and has been all his life. Over the years we have learned to avoid the topic so as to remain friends, as each is pretty intractable, and we'd rather stay friends than 'be right'. But also, I know why he is 'stupidly conservative', and so I can empathize, at least somewhat, with his condition.

He was raised by a violent, abusive father, a co-dependent mother, he was sexually molested on several occasion by the family priest, and he was sexually assaulted by an older cousin. And these events of his childhood formed and solidified an understanding of life that he's held ever since. Such that he is a classic philosophical 'Darwinist', as nearly all modern "conservatives" are. He believes that those among us with money and power will inevitably use and abuse those who have less of it, and that anyone preaching any other scenario (like his family priest) is preaching pipe-dreams and outright lies, and so are either fools, or abusers, themselves. My friend's mom taught him from a very early age that the only course of action in the face of the ongoing threat of abuse from dad was "not to do anything to attract his ire". And so my friend understood from childhood on that the best way to survive in the Darwinist world of abusers and victims, is to serve the desires of the abusers, so as to try and avoid becoming their victim.

When he left the service and entered the job market, he immediately went to work at a brokerage firm, as a technician; helping the rich and powerful get richer and more powerful. And he voted for the party of the rich and powerfull's candidates in every election (republicans, of course). Because in my friend's mind, the best way for him to survive in such a toxic, abusive world, was to serve the abusers, and hope that by doing so, they wouldn't choose to abuse him. So that's what he's been doing all his life. And it's mostly paid off for him. He worked hard, and rode the abusers coattails through the stock market, and saved up enough money to retire in relative comfort. But, of course, he's done nothing at all, his entire life, to stop or mitigate the abuse of others by the wealthy and powerful of the world. And in fact, he has worked as an 'enabler' of them for 45 years.

I, of course, am a 'liberal' (actually, I'm a progressive), so, to my friend, I am one of those hopelessly stupid and idealistic people who believe the 'priestly' preaching that the world and it's people could be better than they are. That things could change, could be improved, and the abuse could be minimized. And in many ways he's right. I am hopelessly idealistic, and the world and it's people are not getting any 'better' toward each other, or toward me. But I still can't see any legitimate reason why not, except that people like my friend just can't and won't trust and hope enough, to try. But I can understand why he can't hope, or trust, because he has no evidence of it's benefit. I hope and trust in him, but he only sees that as further evidence of my own foolish idealism. And that's sad.

So there we are, and have been for many years. My friend, the relatively protected servant of the great satan, and me, the vulnerable, broke, powerless, idiot idealist, friend.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

The only problem I have is with bigotry whether is racial or sexual. That line of thought can end a friendship all other beliefs I can discuss freely without prejudice. I have many friends of various beliefs, many contrary to my own.

Jane.Doe

I have friendships with folks whom have a beliefs all over the place. Disagreeing on some points doesn't mean we can't be friends, agree on other points, have mutual interests, and enjoy hanging out. Like I have a great friend at work whose a staunch atheist and liberal, versus I'm a conversative Christian. Still great friends, still talk about everything, and enjoy hanging out. They key is to be respectful and friendly, even when you disagree.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have many friends of different religions including christian, muslim, jewish, sheikh, wiccan, buddhist, hindu, some african and chinese folk religions and of course atheism.

Most dont were born into their faith bug dont really practice it. Three in particular do.

Two muslim friends who regularly attend friday prayers, one worked for me along with three other muslims. We turned the canteen into a makeshift prayer room.

My lifelong best friend is a born again christian studied divinity and earned a masters in theology trained for the ministry, is a born again minister with her own church and quite high in the hierarchy.

i am most definitely not, if you could go right through atheist and out the other side i would be there to greet you.

Shall we just say we have had some heated conversations. ;-)

Jim

Nets of Wonder
@dianaiad @ManSinha @PureX @Jane.Doe @ChristineM, thanks for telling your stories. I’ll be telling some stories of my own after I organize my thoughts a little. I think now that I’d like to see what fruits people have seen from their experiences with friendships across the widest belief divides, what problems they’ve had with them, and what they’ve learned to do to improve the fruits and avoid or resolve the problems. I’m interested in experiences across all belief divides, but again I’m especially interested in experiences across religious/anti-religious divides, and across liberal/conservative divides.

Also I’d like to know, from people who have consciously tried to be friends with people across those divides, what motivates you to do that?

dianaiad

People are simply glorious. All of them. Their different beliefs make them interesting and good to know. I would personally much rather live in a place with many different belief systems than in a town where everybody believes as I do.

.....as long as they aren't afraid of, or mad at, or out to get, me because of my beliefs. I have found, though, that this doesn't happen all that often 'in real life,' no matter how often it happens in anonymous venues, such as this one.

Workman

UNIQUE

(Edited to add the following)
I have some new ideas about what I’d like to see here. I’d like to see what fruits people have seen from their experiences with friendships across the widest belief divides, what problems they’ve had with them, and what they’ve learned to do to improve the fruits and avoid or resolve the problems. I’m interested in experiences across all belief divides, but again I’m especially interested in experiences across religious/anti-religious divides, and across liberal/conservative divides.

I tend to have friends in different ethnicity..I like to observe in their understandings of life or in how they look in to life, i say!. I’m just curious on another’s being in life., I have my life and my own pathway in walking..but it’s not enough for me to understand what life is all about, so I tend to also look on others in their being and give its word ‘why’ to its work! English is not my first language but puzzles I’ll say I’m good especially riddles I love em! I’ve realised it now in what riddles does..and that is to break ones relationship they have with their eyes..don’t judge a book by its cover is what I think most seem to look at,. I learn a lot from following my emotions..and dropping my ego, admitting my wrongs, even in a debate where i know I’m in the right, I will drop it and claim that I am wrong..why? Because of my respect for the other person..I do not wish for any harm in emotions in his nor mines: I believe my emotion and the other ones are one in the same of God..IMO. Not only I walk away with all in peace but I have taken with me the debaters knowledge for use as part of my puzzle that lies ahead of me in life. It is why I choose to be more of it rather staying the same of my own in knowledge being the difference.

ManSinha

There are people on both sides of intent on that - there are those that (like has been expressed) see the humanity in all individuals as one and have a genuine desire to connect and enjoy (or at least tolerate) the company of those across the ideological and / or religious divide - I have also run into those who start by being friends but then move on to let me know how I can be saved

Needless to say - that does not go far - in either direction .....

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’ll post some clips from my own experiences. One recurring experience has been from a mistake that I’ve made repeatedly in Internet forums where I went with the purpose of practicing fellowship across the widest ideological divides. Some examples have been forums for atheists, opposing camps of Gamergate and Elevatorgate, Trinitarians and their detractors, Baha’i liberals and their detractors, gay equality activists, orientation change activists, Muslims, and pagans, to name a few. I went to those forums with the conscious purpose of practicing fellowship across the ideological divides between us.

My mistake that I made repeatedly was announcing that purpose in my first posts, and saying that I’m a Baha’i. The result of that invariably was most people thinking that it was nothing but a cover for invading and violating their safe space to try to convert people to my religion. That didn’t keep me from learning to love them the way I wanted to, but it did make it hard for them to reciprocate. Now that I think of it, that might have been better for my purposes, because it tested and strengthened my capacity for learning to love people no matter how much they hate me. I think that capacity is part of what’s needed, for people who want to help improve the world for all people everywhere.