• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your ethnic background

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
3/4 Bohemian and 1/4 German. However, you have to remember that people that settled in those countries came from other places at one point. I have a cousin that had been working on a family tree. She had us traced back to the 1500's last time I heard. She has since lost touch with the rest of the family. Would be nice to know what the roots of my roots were.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
3/4 Bohemian and 1/4 German. However, you have to remember that people that settled in those countries came from other places at one point. I have a cousin that had been working on a family tree. She had us traced back to the 1500's last time I heard. She has since lost touch with the rest of the family. Would be nice to know what the roots of my roots were.

Holy crud!! My Grandma and her parents were Bohemian. Of course I am pretty sure it was still part of Germany when any family actually lived there. That's why I just say German. Of course maybe I am wrong. Cause my great Grandpa on my Grandma's side spoke Bohemian I think. Hmm...What does being Bohemian mean exactly I wonder. Are we part gypsy you and I?

Just did some research. Parts of Bohemia were also part of Austria at one point. Which at the time Bohemia was part of it it was part of the German Empire. So confusing is flying around everywhere now.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
German, British, French, Blackfoot Indian, Scotch Irish, and Jewish for me.

But here's my granddaughter - who is German, British, French, Blackfoot Indian, Scotch Irish, Jewish, African American, Cherokee Indian, Italian, Panamanian and Guatamalan:

Can't hardly get more American than THAT!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I always knew that I'm predominantly Irish and Scottish, but I recently found out that I may be part Danish. My Mom let me in on a rumour that's come down through my family: that our last name can actually be traced back to a sailor from Denmark who jumped ship in Belfast and assumed a new name to avoid being caught. :eek:

Apparently, nobody has any documentation to back this up, but it's the family story.

Smoke

Done here.

Holy crud!! My Grandma and her parents were Bohemian. Of course I am pretty sure it was still part of Germany when any family actually lived there. That's why I just say German. Of course maybe I am wrong. Cause my great Grandpa on my Grandma's side spoke Bohemian I think. Hmm...What does being Bohemian mean exactly I wonder. Are we part gypsy you and I?

Just did some research. Parts of Bohemia were also part of Austria at one point. Which at the time Bohemia was part of it it was part of the German Empire. So confusing is flying around everywhere now.

Bohemia is the western part of what is now the Czech Republic. The area was part of the Holy Roman Empire and later part of the Habsburg Empire.

"Bohemian" is just another name for the Czech language. It's a West Slavic language related to Polish but more closely related to Slovak.

NeilPye

The Heretic
As mentioned in another thread, my simplified ethnic background is Germanic and Jewish.

My Mom's side is Jewish, Norwegian, Danish, Spanish, and Swedish. She was born and raised in Sweden.

My Dad's side is German and Dutch mostly. Maybe some British. But my dad's side has been in America since the 1700's.

Rio Sabinas

Old Geezer
From my father, Dutch & Native American in equal portions.
From my mother, Scottish. (both her parents geneology)
My sister & I (same parents) look nothing alike. My sister looks like she's all
Native American & I look like a hard headed Dutch/Scottsman LOL!

Smoke

Done here.
I can document ancestors who were Irish, German, Alsatian, English, Scottish, and Sorbian.
We have multiple traditions of Native American ancestry that I believe but can't prove.
I have some reason to think I'm part Welsh, but can't prove that either.

I was looking at some guy's information on Rootsweb yesterday, and there are some problems with his information, but it was interesting. He traces some of my Virginia ancestors back to all kinds of European royalty and nobility. It's one of those pedigrees that are suspiciously complete; the info on the royalty and nobility is accurate, but there are several questionable assumptions made in between them and my documented ancestors.

But anyway, if his data were correct, I'd be a direct descendant of an 8th-century Danish king named Sigurd Ragnarsson, also known as Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye. I like that. I like it so much that I've decided to be mindful of the fact that even if the pedigree is bogus, it's statistically likely that I'm descended from Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye anyway. :D