• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your ethnic background

Dingbat

That is quite awesome! I wish I could do a test as well someday. I think it's nice to know where you're from, how your family ancestors have migrated, etc.

It is quite interesting as I found distant relatives in the UK and we can't figure out how that happened. Though one fellow stated his family came from the Rhineland and he knew when so we probably diverged from there. The reason I even took the test is my father's genealogy was...errr creative?

I have one fellow I am related to in modern day Macedonia about 1000 years back give or take a century. No clue how that happened though.

Pastadamus

I'm half British and half American but lived most of my life in Canada.

My mom's side hails from Ulster in the United Kingdom and my dad's side is American.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Euro-American and African-American. Apparently, my European heritage is: Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Irish and Scottish. I'm just a mutt. Probably some native in there, too.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Probably Aryan/Kamboja (?). First from River Saraswati valley, then Kashmir, then Rajasthan, and now Delhi. Kashmiri Brahmin.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Human. (At least I think so.)
That is utterly boring and uninformative :p

Here, let me give you an example of how you should answer this question...

Caladan was born in Israel during an era in which the state has established its existence in the Middle East firmly by decisively repelling the last attempt of a coalition of Arab states to defeat and remove it. In an era which foreshadowed the beginning of guerrilla warfare which effected the entire region, while the cold war was entering its last decade.
Although a Sabra, or a native Israeli. Caladan is descended from a family of German pioneers who immigrated to Turkish controlled Palestine sometime during the Mid 19th century, where they dried swamps and fought malaria, cultivating the wilderness into what has become the first agricultural town of Jewish Palestine. Joining this heritage of pioneers, was Caladan's grandfather who arrived to Israel at the end of WWII after fighting in the European theater of war and travelling the Middle East as a soldier in Anders' army, one of the most proficient fighting forces of WWII. During his travels, he trained in such regions as Iran, Baghdad in Iraq, and Egypt under the command of the British 8th Army which was led by General Montgomery, his last destination, Israel, also became his home.
Caladan also has roots somewhere around the outskirts of the Sahara, as he is also descended from a family of Jews who have arrived to North Africa perhaps during the Spanish Inquisition as their forefathers fled the clutches of the Catholic Church as it ruthlessly persecuted the Jews of Spain and Portugal. Or perhaps, a family with longstanding roots which stretch all the way to the ancient Jews who took part in building Carthage thousands of years ago, Jews who have lived in North Africa and saw the conversion of the Berbers into Christianity in antiquity, and centuries later the conquests of Islam, while all this time remaining steadfast and faithful to their Hebrew roots as the pages of history turned and the centuries passed!

See... how difficult was that?:p

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
That is utterly boring and uninformative :p

Here, let me give you an example of how you should answer this question...

Caladan was born in Israel during an era in which the state has established its existence in the Middle East firmly by decisively repelling the last attempt of a coalition of Arab states to defeat and remove it. In an era which foreshadowed the beginning of guerrilla warfare which effected the entire region, while the cold war was entering its last decade.
Although a Sabra, or a native Israeli. Caladan is descended from a family of German pioneers who immigrated to Turkish controlled Palestine sometime during the Mid 19th century, where they dried swamps and fought malaria, cultivating the wilderness into what has become the first agricultural town of Jewish Palestine. Joining this heritage of pioneers, was Caladan's grandfather who arrived to Israel at the end of WWII after fighting in the European theater of war and travelling the Middle East as a soldier in Anders' army, one of the most proficient fighting forces of WWII. During his travels, he trained in such regions as Iran, Baghdad in Iraq, and Egypt under the command of the British 8th Army which was led by General Montgomery, his last destination, Israel, also became his home.
Caladan also has roots somewhere around the outskirts of the Sahara, as he is also descended from a family of Jews who have arrived to North Africa perhaps during the Spanish Inquisition as their forefathers fled the clutches of the Catholic Church as it ruthlessly persecuted the Jews of Spain and Portugal. Or perhaps, a family with longstanding roots which stretch all the way to the ancient Jews who took part in building Carthage thousands of years ago, Jews who have lived in North Africa and saw the conversion of the Berbers into Christianity in antiquity, and centuries later the conquests of Islam, while all this time remaining steadfast and faithful to their Hebrew roots as the pages of history turned and the centuries passed!

See... how difficult was that?:p
Alright, I was born in Aurora, Colorado on Christmas Eve during a snow storm, to two American parents. (better?) :help:

nilsz

bzzt
It would seem that this thread conflates ethnicity and genealogy.

My recent genealogy seems to be confined to Norway, with my mother coming from a family of farmers in the west, while my father coming from a more urban family in the east.

Both I and my father stood somewhat out in the local cultures we grew up in. My father was the son of a factory owner and went to school with the sons of its workers. I appeared different in part because I never fully integrated with a rather cliquish school environment after an early childhood in Belgium. Neither of us fully adopted the local dialects which we grew up with, and retain a somewhat eastern accent.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Alright, I was born in Aurora, Colorado on Christmas Eve during a snow storm, to two American parents. (better?) :help:
No no no no. This is all wrong. Where is the poetic description of the climatic conditions in the Aurora area, a town which gets to experience the four distinct seasons, or the dramatic descriptions of the frequent thunderstorms during the summer? How would you contrast this particular snow storm with Aurora's yearly weather? What great events happened during this Christmas Eve? How do you dramatize the combination of a snow storm, Christmas Eve and your birth into a spiritual event which merits a visit by three mystical vagabonds??
American parents who are descended from generals who fought during the civil war? Perhaps they took part in abolishing slavery? Perhaps they had many slaves? Maybe your great great great great uncle was involved in the revolutionary war, as stories about him circulate in your family, stories involving a Charleville musket, a bottle of bourbon, a spoon and a keg of gunpowder?

Oh, dear. Help me out here. :eek:

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Euro-American and African-American. Apparently, my European heritage is: Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Irish and Scottish. I'm just a mutt. Probably some native in there, too.

I feel I should clarify even further...my mom is Euro-American of Celtic and Germanic extraction. I've heard that there's Jewish ancestry in there but this was apparently hush-hush and so not much is known about that. Her great-grandparents on her mother's side came from Heidelberg, Germany. Her dad was mostly Irish and Scottish.

My dad is a black guy from New Orleans. I'm unsure about his background but his mom's maiden name is French so there's Creole in there. His dad's last name is English. There's native in there, too, some of which has apparently shown up in my features.

Basically, I'm all over the place - white, black, native, etc. I'm just mixed.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Hard to say, or even define. I know a fair amount about my real parents. But I am adopted. I don't know anything about bioparents except what you can see.

Real parents are almost all Irish, small bit of English thrown in. Just the right sixteenth of great grandparents got me a cool French-Canadian name that almost nobody in southern Indiana can spell or pronounce.

Catholics are great that way. Want more kids? Prove that you are willing and able to provide a solid home and you will get them. My real parents got four kids that way. They also had two the old-fashioned way, so I have five siblings.

Tom

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My husband and I recently did the whole 23andme genetic testing thing. It was really cool - and pretty funny.

My husband looks like a Viking - tall, broad-shouldered, blonde haired and blue eyed with chiseled features. Hitler would have approved of putting him in the Lebensborn program - he looks like the prototypical Aryan. Come to find out that though he's predominately Northern European (mostly Irish and Scandinavian), he's also got west African and Jewish ancestry. WOOHOO! The results from 23andme come back as a color coded "wheel" and his was very colorful.

Mine came back 100 percent blue, and most of that (about 80 percent) dark blue. What that meant is that I'm 98 percent European and 80 percent of that is Northern European, probably from the UK.

I'm the whitest person I know.

This was surprising because I have coarse, dark brown, curly hair and dark brown eyes - a combo that is prominent in our family. I also have a German maiden name but only showed up about 7 percent German/French.

One thing this cleared up was the persistent rumors of gypsies and "Indian maidens" in our family tree. Nope -just a bunch of really white people!

We had this testing done before 23andme had to drop the health information from their test kits. It was interesting how accurate that information was - even down to being able to pinpoint that caffeine doesn't really have an effect on me one way or the other (which is true - I can drink a cup of coffee at midnight and go straight to bed and sleep the sleep of the redeemed!).