• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your chance to give me contructive critique

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I suggest giving Ali (a) and his successors (a) a chance to guide you with respect to Quran. Not saying believe in the Shiite hadiths, but just read them, reflect about them, and give them a chance to prove to you their case in Quran. Reflect over the Quran through the hadiths of Ahlulbayt (a).

To me, Ahlulbayt (a) are the truth of reality, the foundation of the spiritual world, and Sufis use to believe this, but Salafi have had made many shy away from speaking about this like they use to.

I believe the Quran and Ahlulbayt (a) go together in guidance, they reveal and manifest each other when sought together.

And the hadiths and prayers taught by Ahlulbayt (a) is part of the way Quran becomes clear in signs and the dark sorcery from Iblis upon it get's dispelled. When you taste the high Quran, there is no going back, and you will enter the safe haven of "There is no God but God".

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I suggest giving Ali (a) and his successors (a) a chance to guide you with respect to Quran. Not saying believe in the Shiite hadiths, but just read them, reflect about them, and give them a chance to prove to you their case in Quran. Reflect over the Quran through the hadiths of Ahlulbayt (a).

To me, Ahlulbayt (a) are the truth of reality, the foundation of the spiritual world, and Sufis use to believe this, but Salafi have had made many shy away from speaking about this like they use to.

I believe the Quran and Ahlulbayt (a) go together in guidance, they reveal and manifest each other when sought together.

And the hadiths and prayers taught by Ahlulbayt (a) is part of the way Quran becomes clear in signs and the dark sorcery from Iblis upon it get's dispelled. When you taste the high Quran, there is no going back, and you will enter the safe haven of "There is no God but God".
Thank you @Link as you maybe know, Sufis also study the Quran and the Hadith, and many Sufi scriptures :) I do have a Sufi teacher, and get guidance through him :)
Not that I would say it is wrong to look into how Shiite teaching.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Right now in my life, I am in a position where constructive critique could be helpful to me :)
When I say constructive critique, it does not mean to say my belief in Sufism is wrong :) Sufism is my personal belief and I am happy as a Sufi.

But there are many aspect of me and my life that could be a heck of a lot better :) So feel free to critique on good and bad,

:eek: oh crap what have I done o_O let the lions out to take me :confused: :oops:

I don't see much to criticise, you have moved on considerably since adopting Sufism and you wear it well.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Since you capitalize the word "value", that seriously stands out to me. What is "Value" to you?

You know there is a hadith even in Zaidi sources (who are less mystical about Ahlulbayt (a)) that says - quoting Imam Mohamad Al-Baqir (a) about "the night of Value", the night is Fatima (a) and the value is God, whoever recognizes her in this matter has attained the night of Qadr.

And there is an explanation (mystical), that she unites all value in creation and the night is a metaphor, that the darkness has veiled people from the light of God. And of course, God is the light of all light, but some people take this as only as in God is the guidance of the universe, the light that shows the way, but hadith furthers show all value is derived from God and all blessings in creation are found in Mohammad (s).

The hadith also shows Fatima (a) is an equal of Mohammad (s) in that they both unite all value in the universe, and God is that value in the value, and everything returns to the source with the very moment it extends from it. It's return to the source (the value given to any creation in any amount) at the very moment it's given, and this is how God is light of all light, not just guidance but is the life force and value in all things.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you @Link as you maybe know, Sufis also study the Quran and the Hadith, and many Sufi scriptures :) I do have a Sufi teacher, and get guidance through him :)
Not that I would say it is wrong to look into how Shiite teaching.

If you go to shiite scholars, it's a mess. But if you go to the hadiths knowing it's a minefield (there are false horrible things in them as well), I believe they will give the proper insights and enhance your light and intelligence to be able to perceive the true kingdom of the universe as it's meant to be seen.

Jeremiah Ames

Yes, I do take care of myself, but I have over many years only thought of others, and at that time I "forgot" about myself. The problem now is that it is very difficult for me to see the "Value" in who I am to myself.
I have spoken with health personnel and they say it comes from being an empath, that others become more important than I see myself. the wish to be there for everyone else become to big, so a little over a month ago I burned myself out mentally and physically, that was my wake-up call that I was about to do something I could not get out of. So I did seek a doctor's advice and follow that now.
I learned this:

If we don’t take care of ourselves, we cannot adequately take care of others.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To expand on my earlier post, I see being of value to others as a wonderful opportunity. So I wondered about your post.

To use an obsolete metaphor, the wisest people I've ever met see themselves as horses in the Divine's chariot. They see their value as responding as perfectly as they are able to the slightest twitch of the 'reins'.

This is from a Christian Saint, but I resonate to it as stating what I take as my value in the world insofar as I can manifest that ideal:

“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.” ― Teresa of Avila

In a Muslim context, this is perfect submission to the will of Allah.

PureX

Veteran Member
The only constructive critique I'd give you, I'd give to most anyone ... RELAX. What will be, will be. It's all just part of the gift of being here, and being here with each other.

Thank you for being a part of that gift.

Now go listen to a Billie Eilish song!

Here's one ...

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I have no critique. But I do have a question. Can a person be anything but himself?

Seems like you are on a neverending quest to improve, or change.

Will the right practice, right input, make the change you want to see?

For myself there's nothing wrong with being just myself. As long as I'm doing my best, I can't complain. As long as I'm doing no harm I can live with myself.

I do wonder if I ever come across the right practice, right input to my experience that it might have profound effects on my life.

A Fundamentalist Christian told me once that it's best to get deader(to sin), not better as a person. It sounded like a word play without much meaning to me. I didn't appreciate the comment.

If I ever find truest ways in life, and I've done a lot of searching, I always hoped that those ways would bring me the everlasting peace that I'm after. If the end results are love true, then I know I'm on the right road. So far I have those things. But that is only according to my own self evaluation being as objective to myself as possible. And I'm certainly not going to hand over the keys to my happiness to those who don't know me.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Right now in my life, I am in a position where constructive critique could be helpful to me :)
When I say constructive critique, it does not mean to say my belief in Sufism is wrong :) Sufism is my personal belief and I am happy as a Sufi.

But there are many aspect of me and my life that could be a heck of a lot better :) So feel free to critique on good and bad,

:eek: oh crap what have I done o_O let the lions out to take me :confused: :oops:
This lion is toothless. I don't critique personal choices. I only talk about truth claims, and whether they are valid.

If you're happy and comfortable, you're doing what you need to do for you. I've nothing to say about that.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have no critique. But I do have a question. Can a person be anything but himself?

Seems like you are on a neverending quest to improve, or change.

Will the right practice, right input, make the change you want to see?

For myself there's nothing wrong with being just myself. As long as I'm doing my best, I can't complain. As long as I'm doing no harm I can live with myself.

I do wonder if I ever come across the right practice, right input to my experience that it might have profound effects on my life.

A Fundamentalist Christian told me once that it's best to get deader(to sin), not better as a person. It sounded like a word play without much meaning to me. I didn't appreciate the comment.

If I ever find truest ways in life, and I've done a lot of searching, I always hoped that those ways would bring me the everlasting peace that I'm after. If the end results are love true, then I know I'm on the right road. So far I have those things. But that is only according to my own self evaluation being as objective to myself as possible. And I'm certainly not going to hand over the keys to my happiness to those who don't know me.
Yes it is a quest i will not end :) there will always be something to change.
When I found sufism, it was the beginning of finding the right path for me, did i spend 20 years on the wrong path as a buddhist? No, I needed that teaching to become closer to finding answers i needed to answer.

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Yes it is a quest i will not end :) there will always be something to change.
When I found sufism, it was the beginning of finding the right path for me, dis i spend 20 years on the wrong path as a buddhist? No, I needed that teaching to become closer to finding answers i needed to answer.

Well good for you. I hope your God is a good one and you find that peace.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well good for you. I hope your God is a good one and you find that peace.
God give me what I need each moment of the day. be it that it is a blessing or a curse :) Sometimes God gives a test to see if there is progress in his humble servants, and sometimes God gives a correction, and the correction can come in all forms. it is the suffering that one has to endure to also gain wisdom.

So both in the blessing and the curse there is wisdom to be taken in to my heart,

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Well, you asked for constructive criticism, so here it goes ... :D

In another thread which I can't find anymore, you were undecided about which teaching to choose regarding the Self, Buddhist / Muslim or atheist. I think most people can choose on the spot which option to pick because they choose intuitively, "with the heart", rather than making it an intellectual exercice.

You see, at one point in my life, I tried Wicca/witchcraft. I thought I would have trouble learning the rituals, but most of witchcraft is about making mundane things come true, such as health, love, money etc. Through witchcraft, I found that I learned the rituals quickly but in the end, I actually didn't know what to wish for. So, I think, in case one doesn't know what to wish for, covering up the problem with even more "theory" and even more "rituals" might be not so helpful. I think it could be more important to make small wishes for yourself first, and big wishes later.

You also wrote something about "mortifying the Self". My opinion about this goes in the same direction. I would be very cautious about anything meant to harm or subdue the self, and I think you should also make a clear distinction between the Self and the ego. Making small wishes won't change you into an egocentric monster all of a sudden.

I don't know much about sufism anyway, but when it comes to asceticism, I would always ask myself whether this has been a decision out of a sincere conviction that all material gain is futile, or whether it's because one doesn't know what to wish for or one may be afraid to make wishes. Even if a faith teaches that "God alone suffices", you always need people and "some things" for your health and well-being.

Anyway, take this with a grain of salt, as I only can make guesses about you based upon what you write, but this is the impression I get when reading your posts. ;)