• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your chance to give me contructive critique

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well, you asked for constructive criticism, so here it goes ... :D

In another thread which I can't find anymore, you were undecided about which teaching to choose regarding the Self, Buddhist / Muslim or atheist. I think most people can choose on the spot which option to pick because they choose intuitively, "with the heart", rather than making it an intellectual exercice.

You see, at one point in my life, I tried Wicca/witchcraft. I thought I would have trouble learning the rituals, but most of witchcraft is about making mundane things come true, such as health, love, money etc. Through witchcraft, I found that I learned the rituals quickly but in the end, I actually didn't know what to wish for. So, I think, in case one doesn't know what to wish for, covering up the problem with even more "theory" and even more "rituals" might be not so helpful. I think it could be more important to make small wishes for yourself first, and big wishes later.

You also wrote something about "mortifying the Self". My opinion about this goes in the same direction. I would be very cautious about anything meant to harm or subdue the self, and I think you should make a clear distinction between the Self and the ego. Making small wishes won't change you into an egocentric monster all of a sudden.

I don't know much about sufism anyway, but when it comes to asceticism, I would always ask myself whether this has been a decision out of a sincere conviction that all material gain is futile, or whether it's because one doesn't know what to wish for or one may be afraid to make wishes. Even if a faith teaches that "God alone suffices", you always need people and "some things" for your health and well-being.

Anyway, take this with a grain of salt, as I only can make guesses about you based upon what you write, but this is the impression I get when reading your posts. ;)
Thank you @Sirona :)

There have been times this summer that I doubted my own being, my own belief, my own existence. So yes in those moments my writing become confusing (even for me when reading back)
When speaking of mortifying the self, that is to let go of the ego, something that is a lot harder to do than it sounds, it is not to let go of the higher self or soul/spirit :) If that happen I would truly be dead spiritually too.

Looking at the "goal" or path of the Sufi it is this.
Sufis strive to purify their thoughts and actions through rigorous discipline and prayer. A major goal of Sufism is to let go of all external pleasure that is common to man. Sufis practice long periods of fasting and ritual to attain a state of oneness with God.

This is not an easy path and I noticed with my own being that to find the answers may seem so difficult, but when the answer does appear, it is the easiest thing in the world, but it is hidden for me until the veil is lifted, and one of the reason it becomes difficult is, the ego, there is always a voice in the back of the head telling that just leave it for a moment and do all the things you know is Haram to do, Have some fun.

Fun to me is realizing new wisdom, understanding life in a new way, and so on.
Fun for me is to help others realize their dreams and hopes, unfortunately, it can also lead to lack of energy in my own body ( as I experienced this month)

We Never Know

No Slack
Right now in my life, I am in a position where constructive critique could be helpful to me :)
When I say constructive critique, it does not mean to say my belief in Sufism is wrong :) Sufism is my personal belief and I am happy as a Sufi.

But there are many aspect of me and my life that could be a heck of a lot better :) So feel free to critique on good and bad,

:eek: oh crap what have I done o_O let the lions out to take me :confused: :oops:

"Sufism is my personal belief and I am happy as a Sufi."

What more need to be said? And it shouldn't matter what others say.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
"Sufism is my personal belief and I am happy as a Sufi."

What more need to be said? And it shouldn't matter what others say.
True :) when I first started to go in to sufism it was like coming home :)
Yes there been some difficult times for me this year with personal struggle. But I realize, it is in struggle i find the answers i need to grow as a person and being :)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Right now in my life, I am in a position where constructive critique could be helpful to me :)
When I say constructive critique, it does not mean to say my belief in Sufism is wrong :) Sufism is my personal belief and I am happy as a Sufi.

But there are many aspect of me and my life that could be a heck of a lot better :) So feel free to critique on good and bad,

:eek: oh crap what have I done o_O let the lions out to take me :confused: :oops:

Constructive criticism: you haven’t given me enough cheese and chutney.

(You’re a beautiful person, I have no real criticism)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Constructive criticism: you haven’t given me enough cheese and chutney.

(You’re a beautiful person, I have no real criticism)
Thank you @Meow Mix

f20be33a-a45b-41bb-87d6-5a9d8f533e6e-chutney-cheese-sandwich.jpg

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

Okay, here is my perspective based on the Hindu "gospel" "Bhagavad Gita". I hope it doesn't sound too harsh for you, but it may give you something to think about anyway.

Looking at the "goal" or path of the Sufi it is this.
Sufis strive to purify their thoughts and actions through rigorous discipline and prayer. A major goal of Sufism is to let go of all external pleasure that is common to man. Sufis practice long periods of fasting and ritual to attain a state of oneness with God.

Bhagavad Gita 9.2: This knowledge (of God) is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

I think this means you are supposed to find some joy and satisfaction in the way you practise. If it gets you to be depressed it's probably being done in a wrong way. Do you have a spiritual guide to give you feedback?

This is not an easy path and I noticed with my own being that to find the answers may seem so difficult, but when the answer does appear, it is the easiest thing in the world, but it is hidden for me until the veil is lifted.

Well, I think this is typical Western thinking. It's only this or that obstacle remaining, and once I conquered it, I will be happy. It's the spiritual version of "I only have to buy this or that thing, and only then I will be perfect and lovable." Again, I think you should rather find joy in the way you practise your religion, instead of hoping for a reward from God in the future.

and one of the reason it becomes difficult is, the ego, there is always a voice in the back of the head telling that just leave it for a moment and do all the things you know is Haram to do, Have some fun.

Maybe you should go back to "normal" Islam. Maybe the rules of your group are too strict. From what I read, Islam in general seems to have a positive attitude to most worldly pleasures. Maybe you should practise "normal" Islam and be grateful for the things God gives you. Bhagavad Gita (3.6) says that "One who restrains the senses of action (eyes, ears etc.) but whose mind dwells on sense objects (the things you desire) certainly deludes himself and is called a pretender." I guess it's probably more rewarding to be a grateful "normal" Muslim rather than an overly strict "pretender". There are many things that are wrong in my religion but I guess there is one deep truth about it: the fact that you can't effectively suppress the mind in the long term. Instead, you need to engage it in something "better", like a child. Instead of "taking the toy away" from the child, you give it a "better" toy. Maybe you could study Arabic calligraphy, or Islamic architecture or something like that.

Fun to me is realizing new wisdom, understanding life in a new way, and so on.
Fun for me is to help others realize their dreams and hopes, unfortunately, it can also lead to lack of energy in my own body ( as I experienced this month)
Maybe it is a selfish statement but in my religion I learned that one has to get one's own mindset right before helping others. What's the use of exhausting yourself in helping others? You probably can help even more people when you're in a better condition. Moreover, people in general tend to respond better to someone who radiates with happiness rather than to someone who probably gives them the blues.

Anyway, you shouldn't listen to anyone who tells you you're alright when you feel you're not. Listening to your inner voice instead of unsuccessfully trying to meditate it to death may be the first step for you to get to know your genuine Self.

Hope this makes some sense. Enough for one day.
:hugehug:

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Okay, here is my perspective baed on the Hindu "gospel" "Bhagavad Gita". I hope it doesn't sound too harsh for you, but it may give you something to think about anyway.

Bhagavad Gita 9.2: This knowledge (of God) is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

I think this means you are supposed to find some joy and satisfaction in the way you practise. If it gets you to be depressed it's probably being done in a wrong way. Do you have a spiritual guide to give you feedback?

Well, I think this is typical Western thinking. It's only this or that obstacle remaining, and once I conquered it, I will be happy. It's the spiritual version of "I only have to buy this or that thing, and only then I will be perfect and lovable." Again, I think you should rather find joy in the way you practise your religion, instead of hoping for a reward from God in the future.

Maybe you should go back to "normal" Islam. Maybe the rules of your group are too strict. From what I read, Islam in general seems to have a positive attitude to most worldly pleasures. Maybe you should practise "normal" Islam and be grateful for the things God gives you. Bhagavad Gita (3.6) says that "One who restrains the senses of action (eyes, ears etc.) but whose mind dwells on sense objects (the things you desire) certainly deludes himself and is called a pretender." I guess it's probably more rewarding to be a grateful "normal" Muslim rather than an overly strict "pretender". There are many things that are wrong in my religion but I guess there is one deep truth about it: the fact that you can't effectively suppress the mind in the long term. Instead, you need to engage it in something "better", like a child. Instead of "taking the toy away" from the child, you give it a "better" toy. Maybe you could study Arabic calligraphy, or Islamic architecture or something like that.

Maybe it is a selfish statement but in my religion I learned that one has to get one's own mindset right before helping others. What's the use of exhausting yourself in helping others? You probably can help even more people when you're in a better condition. Moreover, people in general tend to respond better to someone who radiates with happiness rather than to someone who probably gives them the blues.

Anyway, you shouldn't listen to anyone who tells you you're alright when you feel your're not. Listening to your inner voice instead of unsuccesfully trying to meditate it to death may be the first step for you to get to know your genuine Self.

Hope this makes some sense. Enough for one day.
:hugehug:
tHANK YOU @Sirona :)

Your words is not to hard toward me :)
Sufism is the path that speak to my heart so it is the path I will stay on :) Yes, it is a hard path, but I might have put too high expectations on my own being, and made it twice as hard as it should be.

The practice in itself is very very fun actually :) I do research totally differently now than I used to do when I was a Buddhist. I am actually paying attention to my being now, and yes even I did not pay enough attention to me in the past, and only on how to help others, that is about to change :)
I will as an empath always be there for others, but listening to my inner voice a bit better is how I will practice from now on.

I went from not knowing who I was at all, to have a better sense of it.
And my Sufi teacher does guide me, but also says I do have to go through difficult times to learn. Without the difficulty it is not a spiritual path :) He can not tell me what to do in every aspect of my life, because that is what the spiritual path is all about, to understand self, and get closer to Allah.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Get over your insecurity and fear. Your in a prison of your own making if you don't proactively muster some self courage to face difficult things.