• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yep, I was totally wrong to worry about escalation between US and Iran

sooda

Veteran Member
It would be incredibly foolish if they tried. If that was truly their goal, they'd still have to do a pre-emptive strike against the US and other Allied forces in the region.
Iran tried to close the strait in 1988 and got the snot slapped out of them

sooda

Veteran Member
If the drone and warships were outside the 12 mile limit, Iran is the guilty party.

Not germane here unless the ships and drone were within the 12 mile limit.

Operation Praying Mantis. Operation Praying Mantis was an attack on 18 April 1988, by U.S. forces within Iranian territorial waters in retaliation for the Iranian mining of the Persian Gulf during the Iran–Iraq war and the subsequent damage to an American warship.
Operation Praying Mantis - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Praying_Mantis

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Strait_of_hormuz_full.jpg

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Iran says the drone was shot down 8 miles from their coast well within their 12 mile territorial limit, satellites should be able to determine where it was shot down. Us claim of international waters is obviously false as there are no international waters in the area where the drone was shot down, it is either Iran territory or Oman territory

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
So as not to waste time, It wasn't 91.. it was 89.
No, it was 91. Quite distinctly. The retreat from Afghanistan was not the end point of the USSR. You can certainly make the argument that the failed Afghanistan campaign was a major factor in the eventual collapse of the USSR, but the USSR as an entity staggered on a few years past it.

But anyway.

sooda

Veteran Member
No, it was 91. Quite distinctly. The retreat from Afghanistan was not the end point of the USSR. You can certainly make the argument that the failed Afghanistan campaign was a major factor in the eventual collapse of the USSR, but the USSR as an entity staggered on a few years past it.

But anyway.

So I did waste my time..

The Berlin Wall came down in 1989.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Both drones and military ships record their second-by-second GPS co-ordinates. I assume any weapons deployment is recorded and geo-tagged, as well, as well. Alas, we'll likely see only what the powers in question want us to see.

Milton Platt

"In a major provocation, Iran shot down an unarmed and unmanned U.S. RQ-4A Global Hawk drone while it was flying in international airspace over the Strait of Hormuz Thursday, U.S. Central Command confirmed in a statement."

Iran says it's 'ready for war' after US military confirms it shot down American drone

Personally, I'm skeptical of the facts in the story, but either way, that's another step toward a shooting war.

There are still a number of people surrounding Trump who attempt with modest success to keep him between the ditches.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Both drones and military ships record their second-by-second GPS co-ordinates. I assume any weapons deployment is recorded and geo-tagged, as well, as well. Alas, we'll likely see only what the powers in question want us to see.
And it's possible....just possible, that one side or the other might lie about it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are still a number of people surrounding Trump who attempt with modest success to keep him between the ditches.
And, apparently, some of them just managed to head off a shooting war with Iran today.
Trump's impulsiveness is worrisome.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
"In a major provocation, Iran shot down an unarmed and unmanned U.S. RQ-4A Global Hawk drone while it was flying in international airspace over the Strait of Hormuz Thursday, U.S. Central Command confirmed in a statement."

Iran says it's 'ready for war' after US military confirms it shot down American drone

Personally, I'm skeptical of the facts in the story, but either way, that's another step toward a shooting war.

Ever since the US left the agreement with Iran, and against UN and European countries' support, this has looked like a diliberate series of aggressions.

Personally I don't like Iran's extremist theocracy, but it looks as if it has been picked on over recent months.

Trouble is, anybody could have shot at thos tankers with the total intention of fitting up Iran.

We should seek absolute proof, and if found tyhen the UN should be handed the evidence, I reckon.,