• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will the Main Stream Media Cover This Breaking Story?

esmith

Veteran Member
Well it appears that the NSA under the Obama Administration was systematically violated rights of countless Americans. Quotes from below obtained from SOURCE

Declassified documents first obtained by the news outlet Circa show the FISA court sharply rebuked the Obama administration. 'With greater frequency than previously disclosed to the court, NSA analysts had used U.S. person identifiers to query the results of internet "upstream" collection, even though NSA's section 702 minimalization procedures prohibited such queries.'
The documents show it was back in 2011 when the FISA court first found NSA's procedures to be 'stautorially and Constitutionally deficient with respect to their protection of U.S. person information.'
Five years later, two weeks before election day, the judges learned that NSA had never adequately enacted the changes it had promised to make.
'The NSA inspector general and its office of compliance for operations [have been] conducting other reviews covering different time periods, with preliminary results suggesting that the problem was widespread during all periods of review.'

Additional information from Circa can be found here
Barack Obama's team secretly disclosed years of illegal NSA searches spying on Americans

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Well it appears that the NSA under the Obama Administration was systematically violated rights of countless Americans. Quotes from below obtained from SOURCE

Barack Obama's team secretly disclosed years of illegal NSA searches spying on Americans
I doubt it will get coverage. With that said, any overstepping of the NSA (or any organization/agency for that matter), regardless of who the president is, needs to be addressed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wonder...if no one is prosecuted, is this to become standard
behavior for any president bent upon illegally surveilling us?
It's quite a power for Obama to hand to Trump.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't know what's breaking about it.
Obama, rightfully in my opinion, took a bunch of flack early on for this. His supporters, including me, were angered by his willingness to not only keep those intrusive Bush administration policies, but expand them.
Tom

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I hope it does get some airtime. The maintenance and extending of the security state and lack of privacy for citizens was something many Democrats criticized Obama for. It's something we as citizens need to crack down on. Thanks to Snowden for putting it on our radar in the first place.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Yeah I did some research on it today, its not exactly breaking news. You can find quite a few sources under FISA. Its probably framed to counter attacks on Donald Trump by the conservative media.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well it appears that the NSA under the Obama Administration was systematically violated rights of countless Americans.
Another question.
What happened to "If the president decides to do something, it's legal."?
Such as declassify top secret information over dinner with the Russians?
Tom

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Another question.
What happened to "If the president decides to do something, it's legal."?
Such as declassify top secret information over dinner with the Russians?
Tom
The President is legally allowed to declassify information. It is specifically permitted. That in no way means that "if the president decides to do something, it's legal."

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A lot of us on the left criticized President Obama on this issue. Given what the current resident of the White House is doing, I agree it's a right wing plot to try to distract people from the disasters unfolding now.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Your wish has come true, Clinton was impeached.

Bah, without him getting removed from office, the impeachment is meaningless. We really need to focus on Clinton going to prison for getting a hummer in the Oval Office. Let's try to stay focused on the important things. Once we accomplish that, we can then move on to prosecuting Obama for being a Kenyan Muslim.

Underhill

This seems to be more of an NSA problem than an Obama problem. Now if it came out that Obama was directing them to do these things then yeah, it would be huge news.

The NSA is not one of those organizations where the director is considered partisan. The director under Obama for most of his term was appointed by Bush. (I'm not blaming Bush, just pointing out the non political nature of the organization.)

The NSA needs more over-site, but then that is tough to do when they are also the most secretive organization in our government.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The NSA is not one of those organizations where the director is considered partisan. The director under Obama for most of his term was appointed by Bush.
Well, if it wasn't the NSA who wiretapped Trump Towers during the election campaign and leaked all that stuff to Arrange, then who was it?
Tom

Underhill

Well, if it wasn't the NSA who wiretapped Trump Towers during the election campaign and leaked all that stuff to Arrange, then who was it?
Tom

Everything I have read said they didn't. They were tapping a foreigner who called the towers a few times. There was an investigation going on into a tenant on a lower floor (if I remember correctly) but I've heard nothing in the way of evidence of tapping of Trumps place in the towers.

Even if they were though, if it was related to a Russian investigation how would that be illegal?