• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the church of satan is not banned? Is satanism a religion?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
In the faith realm, the satan is the personalized evil. That is definition of satan.
So, the satanists must be illegal.

The satanism does not worship the God, so it is not the Religion.

The days of religious law by ordeal are long gone.

Which god? There have been over 4800 worshipped in waestern religions through the ages, 3200 of them being omnipotent, creator one gods. The real problem for your statement comes with Hinduism with around 320 million gods.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Those definitions: God is good, satan is evil, are objective. Hereby one can accept the Bible or deny it.
Didn't you mean 'subjective' ? Faith is subjective, there is nothing objective about faith.

I wish I had a dollar for each time I've said, "Hate the sin; not the sinner!" still leaves the individual with hate in their heart. And this is good?
That is what the OP and others are implying, that we hate Satan, for being the merry trickster, for leading us away from the "good" sheep. Me? I'm hard pressed to think of a single thing that I hate. There are a lot of things I dislike, like caraway seeds (*gags*) and liver (*double gag*), but not outright hate.

Well when you take a character out of their own mythology, what do you expect?

No, but the character of Satan is heavily associated with Christianity. One could be forgiven for thinking that this is the Satan in Satanism. The poet Percy Shelley was probably what modern people would call a Luciferian, but he called himself a 'Promethean', which, imo, makes much more sense and takes away any allusion to Abrahamic religion.

Adherents see the character of Satan as an archetype of pride, carnality, liberty, enlightenment, undefiled wisdom, and of a cosmos which Satanists perceive to be motivated by a "dark evolutionary force of entropy that permeates all of nature and provides the drive for survival and propagation inherent in all living things"

That said:

Who the Hell is Satan?

Here's my understanding of this "Old Enemy" as the literary scholar Neil Forsyth coined and what I consider to be the foundation of what is called Satanism.

Satan has always existed, only under other names and guises, Satan is a powerful and primordial archetype of man's psyche . . . a meme, or what some may now call a "Godform", I think the Magus of Chaos, Peter Carroll uses that term?

This archetype is the reflection of how we perceive ourselves in relation to what we call the "others". Satan is a social and cultural phenomenon as old as the mind of humanity itself. There has always and will always, be essentially two worldviews consisting of oppositions and they are "Us & Them" or "Me" and "the rest of you" . . . etc.

Sumerian and Akkadian tablets concur this worldview from the earliest known writings, the ancient Egyptian word for an Egyptian meant "human", which excluded all who were not Egyptian to be relegated to 'non-human', the Greek word for non-Greeks was "barbaroi" (barbarians). The Jewish Essenes called anyone not an Essene "ha satan" (the adversary), Zoroastrianism set forth the dualistic "good" (what we believe in) and "evil" (what they believe in).

"A society does not simply discover its others, it fabricates them, by selecting, isolating, and emphasizing as aspect of another people's life, and making it symbolize their difference"

William Scott Green (Professor of the history of religion - ancient Judaism, biblical studies, and the theory of religion).

So, who/what is this Satan?
He simply is who you are not!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Oh no, feelings.

Just because people have been hurt, doesn't mean that the attacker's religion is to blame. It might be; it might promote violence. Or, it might not. If a Jain went on a shooting rampage, one couldn't blame Jainism because Jainism is totally against violence. The person must be blamed.

It's a simple concept but people are always too quick to go 'Ah! See? Religion is evil!' rather than 'Oh no, there goes human nature again.'

Christianity teaches one to 'Love thine enemy', not 'Kill thine enemy with sword and guns'. So violence in the name of Christianity is pretty nonsensical.

Christianity teaches intolerance, genocide, slavery, murder, war, rape, theft, misogyny Well 85% of the christian bible does, perhaps it's the 15% of the bible which is the nt you mean.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
In the faith realm, the satan is the personalized evil. That is definition of satan.

Why would they be? As long as one doesn't hurt anyone or incite violence you can worship the Great Gazoo if you so please.

Besides I'd much sooner ban the Westboro Baptist Church, personally. But since they do not actually break the law (only basic etiquette) I'll settle for them being shunned by civilised society.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
Satanism on the other hand has yet to launch crusades or conduct witch burnings or employ inquisitors or call for the death of gays or deploy martyrs to blow themselves up amongst women and children....I could go on, the list is endless.

You have quite an absurd imagination my friend.:p:p:p:p:p:p

Milton Platt

I have heard the word Satan characterized hundreds of ways. You are welcome to your version as are all others. I will await actual evidence.