• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Christians have the false assumption that they are going to Heaven

to the OP: you might be missing a lot of doctrinal information that could help you seriously decode this, but that happens to a lot of people discussing a religion they are not a part of.

or, if i'm reading you right, these misunderstandings typically result from intentionally attacking someone else's philosophical stance.

mostly what i'm trying to say is that if someone wants to believe, for whatever combination of reasons, that they are going to paradise after they die - it's not exactly any of my business. (until they try to teach it in public schools, or affect my legal system with it.)

Blackdog22

The bible requires much more than just believing according to Jesus.

One that a lot of Christians fail at is giving up everything they have to follow him... this includes material possessions. Jesus actually mentions this not once, but twice =O. Then goes onto say how hard it is for a rich man to get into heaven. If you live in the US then your considered rich in comparison to the rest of the world.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The bible requires much more than just believing according to Jesus.

One that a lot of Christians fail at is giving up everything they have to follow him... this includes material possessions. Jesus actually mentions this not once, but twice =O. Then goes onto say how hard it is for a rich man to get into heaven. If you live in the US then your considered rich in comparison to the rest of the world.
Actually, Jesus talks about the accumulation of riches in relationship to entering the kingdom. Is that the same thing as "going to heaven?"

gzusfrk

Christian
It is true that most Christians assume that because they believe in Jesus and have asked for forgiveness they are automatically saved. However the Bible their own spiritual guide has much more to say about the art of getting through the pearly gates.

Jesus said," For I tell you that unless your rightousness surpasses thatof the pharisees and the the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:20

"But small is the gate and and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."Matthew 7:14

"Not everyone that says to me Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my father."Matthew 7:21

Most Christains overlook the doctrine that outlines Christianity because it is far to difficult to be better than the Pharisees or do the will of the father, and that leaves very few capable of being granted eternal life.
True indeed, alot of christians need to wake up, however that last part about difficult, the NT says its easy. Matthew 11:30

ninerbuff

godless wonder
It's kinda like playing the lotto I guess. You hope to win but odds are against you. Hahaha! I can clearly see a giant hand drawing the balls..........................

Simply because that is what they are taught to believe. When they read the bible they see what they were taught... not what it actually reads.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
OP said:
Why the Christians have the false assumption that they are going to Heaven

Why do people have the false assumption that it's OK to create threads with titles that call other people's beliefs false assumptions?

Civil Shephard

life experience has humbled me to the point where i cannot see a gift of grace
only an opportunity to appreciate the here and now
:D
Maybe that's grace...
not if it's at the expense of others.
:rainbow1:

waitasec

I share your concern... sojourner said exactly what I thought after I read your first thought. Words and teachings so often hide the spirit of grace... but to me the fascinating power of honest words from an honest heart is grace.

Civil Shephard

It is true that most Christians assume that because they believe in Jesus and have asked for forgiveness they are automatically saved. However the Bible their own spiritual guide has much more to say about the art of getting through the pearly gates.

Jesus said," For I tell you that unless your rightousness surpasses thatof the pharisees and the the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:20

"But small is the gate and and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."Matthew 7:14

"Not everyone that says to me Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my father."Matthew 7:21

Most Christains overlook the doctrine that outlines Christianity because it is far to difficult to be better than the Pharisees or do the will of the father, and that leaves very few capable of being granted eternal life.

The extreme difficulty inherent in the words of Christ account for the grace presented by his sacrifice on the cross. Here a teacher presented something even more impossible to us than Moses... so he cut us a break and told us to believe in him and love one another. Yeah... my faith in Christ is best shown and not spoken... but I do believe predestination and free will combined make no sense at all without the gift of grace. More than that I cannot say because I don't know... and there's not to much I assume beyond the grace I feel I recieve everyday from trying to follow Jesus and his teachings.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Haven't you ever heard John 3:16? "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever should believe in Him, shall not perish but have eternal life."

That tells me that all one must do is believe in Jesus. There are other verses implying that if you truly believe in Jesus, then this should be indicated in your lifestyle and actions, so while "works" aren't necessary for salvation, they are indicative of it.

I see no reason why Christians are unjustified in believing that they are saved based upon that above verse. If one verse can imply "nay" then surely another verse can imply "yea".

waitasec

Veteran Member
waitasec

I share your concern... sojourner said exactly what I thought after I read your first thought. Words and teachings so often hide the spirit of grace... but to me the fascinating power of honest words from an honest heart is grace.

but the gift of grace in spite of others does not compute
it's all too random.

That Dude

Christian
but the gift of grace in spite of others does not compute
it's all too random.
It's not to random if you attribute "free will" as the source of chaos to the human condition.
In the end, everyone gets what they want. Or at least what they thought they wanted, (in some cases)... (in a lot of cases)

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
It's not to random if you attribute "free will" as the source of chaos to the human condition.
In the end, everyone gets what they want. Or at least what they thought they wanted, (in some cases)... (in a lot of cases)

from before our very inception...life faces random indifference...

think of that one little tiny sperm cell that made it to the egg...
why the need for so many sperm cells?

it's like landing on the shores of iwo jima... dependent on timing and random chance...

A woman constantly produces cervical fluid (or mucus) throughout her menstral cycle. Most of the time this mucus is acidic and deadly to sperm. But as she approaches ovulation, the mucus changes and become conductive to sperm and actually assists keeping sperm alive (for up to 3-5 days) until the egg is released maximising her chance of conception.

Read more: Answers.com - Does a woman's body kill sperm once it has entered into the vagina

:shrug:

edit:
how do you explain free will in the face of natural disasters? it's not as though hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes and tsunamis are a result of free will...

Last edited: