• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Should It Matter?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Including your religion.

Theologian?!?!?! You most definitely have a religion despite your egocentric denial.
nope.....no religion

I follow no one
no one follows me

no rug for your knee
no beads for your and
no ritual or ceremony
no recital of prayers

no religion

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
11 nov 2018 borders proselytizing
If you identify with a particular religion or philosophy and label yourself as such, and another comes along with different ideas on what that religion or philosophy is and labels themselves the same as you, does it matter to you? If so, why? If not, why not?

Would you go as far as to tell them that they are a false (insert aforementioned label here)? What can be accomplished by doing so?

Religion is subjective. All are free to believe as they please. If he tries to proselytize it does matter, because he crosses my border, or more accurate "I allow him to cross my border". My solution is to keep a proper distance from him. And then it does not matter to me whatever he does.

It has to do with crossing borders. First physical border. If crossed then we try to protect verbally our border (tell him to mind his own business). Next step is to mentally protect our border. If all three fail then we can spiritual protect our border. If that does not work we might go crazy.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If he tries to proselytize it does matter...

But what if he merely states an opinion...one that is not in the mainstream of that religion? Does it still matter?

...because he crosses my border, or more accurate "I allow him to cross my border".

I admire your realization that he cannot 'cross your border' unless you allow him to. That's a mature philosophical stance; one that many, in my experience, do not realize.

stvdv

But what if he merely states an opinion...one that is not in the mainstream of that religion? Does it still matter?

This to me is not proselytizing. If he does not try to convert me AND it's not about hurting others then I call it a healthy sharing of each others thoughts.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
This to me is not proselytizing. If he does not try to convert me AND it's not about hurting others then I call it a healthy sharing of each others thoughts.

I wasn't suggesting it was proselytizing. I was asking if it matters if these non-mainstream ideas or thoughts matter to one who has mainstream ideas and thoughts even in the absence of proselytizing.

atanu

Premium Member
If you identify with a particular religion or philosophy and label yourself as such, and another comes along with different ideas on what that religion or philosophy is and labels themselves the same as you, does it matter to you? If so, why? If not, why not?

Would you go as far as to tell them that they are a false (insert aforementioned label here)? What can be accomplished by doing so?

When the differences are about subjective issues, there should not be any matter. But if the dispute is about some objective measure or about some definition/understanding that is commonly agreed upon, or when there is intentional mis-representation/trolling, I think, one must at least point out the mistake/mischief.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
nope.....no religion

I follow no one
no one follows me.

No one needs to follow you for you to have a religious belief.

no rug for your knee
no beads for your and
no ritual or ceremony
no recital of prayers

no religion

None of the above is needed for religious belief nor a religion. You do have the Bible I presume.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Aupmanyav said:

Ha ha, that is not a Hindu experience, where it will be difficult to meet two Hindus with the same belief. :D

So what?!?!?!?!?! That can be said to be fundamentally true of every human being that has ever lived.

stvdv

I wasn't suggesting it was proselytizing. I was asking if it matters if these non-mainstream ideas or thoughts matter to one who has mainstream ideas and thoughts even in the absence of proselytizing.

I know. I thought I made it clear that if the other is not proselytizing (which includes belittling, arrogance etc.) then I am fine. Hence I replied with "I do not see that as proselytizing". As long as there is no proselytizing I am fine. I am even fine if the other proselytizes, but choose to keep a distance.

For me all religions (or lack thereof) are equally good. So it's perfect if he believes different.

Spirituality is more about respect and thoughts/words/deeds in harmony anyway. Not about belief.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Nah ... Thief cannot be religious ... "Thou shalt not steal"
IMHO, Thief can be religious. Even Krishna was 'Makhan Chor' (Stealer of butter) and Chit-chor (Stealer of hearts).

Two thieves at work here, Krishna and his elder brother, Balarama. Krishna is the dark one.
makhan-chor_16096.jpg

stvdv

IMHO, Thief can be religious. Even Krishna was 'Makhan Chor' (Stealer of butter)

Who Am I? The one others think I am, the one I think I am OR the one I really am

I doubt that Krishna saw himself as a thief. Remembering Ramana's "Who Am I"

images

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

These issues and arguments happen all the darned time in contemporary Paganism, as I'm sure you're well aware. This happens in no small part because the religious movement is non-dogmatic and non-authoritarian, and frequently non-organized. There simply isn't anyone around who can say "no, you aren't allowed to call yourself Pagan (or some other specific variety thereof)." The labels are pretty much on an opt-in basis, for better and for worse.

That said, I think anyone who has been around in the community for a while knows that there's a difference between self-identifying with a path versus having a specific community or organizational affiliation. You can self-identify as a Druid, but you cannot self-identify a member of a specific Druid order like ADF or OBOD. There's also a general appreciation that while you can call yourself whatever you want (even falsely claiming affiliations), the moment you enter a community context you will be held accountable. If you claim to be a Druid but are in no way earth-centered, you're going to get called out on it (hopefully constructively).

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
The 1st tenet of Pastafarianism is

1. I’d really rather you didn’t act like a sanctimonious, holier-than-thou *** when describing my Noodly Goodness. If some people don’t believe in me, that’s okay. Really, I’m not that vain. Besides, this isn’t about them so don’t change the subject.

So that means that we should leave 'em alone. If they want STD's and stale beer that's up to them.

syo

The greek religion has one path. The path of arete. If you stay on that path then you are a virtuous follower. If you don't follow the path of arete, then you don't follow the path of arete. that's all.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
When the differences are about subjective issues, there should not be any matter. But if the dispute is about some objective measure or about some definition/understanding that is commonly agreed upon, or when there is intentional mis-representation/trolling, I think, one must at least point out the mistake/mischief.

I agree with everything you said except...
But if the dispute is about...about some definition/understanding that is commonly agreed upon...

1500 years ago, everyone knew the earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago everyone knew the earth was flat.* Is it so implausible that one might stumble upon a new discovery that is in conflict with a commonly agreed upon understanding?