• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Should It Matter?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
If you identify with a particular religion or philosophy and label yourself as such, and another comes along with different ideas on what that religion or philosophy is and labels themselves the same as you, does it matter to you? If so, why? If not, why not?

Would you go as far as to tell them that they are a false (insert aforementioned label here)? What can be accomplished by doing so?

Doesn't matter to me at all. Though knowing it will help me in understanding them as a person, at least in part.

As for telling them they are false. Meh imo we (all denominations of Christianity) all have something wrong or misunderstood. I do like discussing the differences in interpretation. Flat out telling someone they are false is useless. Discussing ideas in a civilized manner is the only way to go. Maybe someone changes their mind, maybe not. But the beauty about being Christian is you don't have to be perfect, or else, you wouldn't need to be Christian. :p

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
*Making* fun means to mock. Are you mocking..? :cool:

...Because typically, that's a form of degradation.

Mocking who? Bob the divine turtle? Or the others?

See the problem? The very fact that you (probably) think I am mocking is that you assume that one creed deserves more respect than the other. And that for reasons that are totally inscrutable, apart from how many people believe one and not the other.

Since they all can display the same evidence, why do you think Bob is more ridicolous than Jesus, Kali, or Whomever else?

Ciao

- viole

GoodbyeDave

1500 years ago, everyone knew the earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago everyone knew the earth was flat.* Is it so implausible that one might stumble upon a new discovery that is in conflict with a commonly agreed upon understanding?
If the universe is infinite, then any point may be regarded as the centre.

Nobody knew the earth was flat, although there was a time when anyone who stopped to think about it (very few, probably) might believe that it was flat. Incidentally, that was 2500 years ago: the sphericity of the earth was demonstrated by Pythagoras.

In other words, do not confuse what some people believe with what everyone knows. I know that I'm awake and that there's a tree outside my window. I believe that you are a human being. See Witgenstein On Certainty.

atanu

Premium Member
1500 years ago, everyone knew the earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago everyone knew the earth was flat.* Is it so implausible that one might stumble upon a new discovery that is in conflict with a commonly agreed upon understanding?

I must say that exception proves the rule. :)

Actually, I meant a situation akin to 'prajnanam brahman' being the common understanding.