1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Why Praise God When He's The One Who Brought Coronavirus To Us?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by SeekingAllTruth, Feb 20, 2021.

1. samtonga43

samtonga43 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Religion:
    Christian

2. samtonga43

samtonga43 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Religion:
    Christian
    KJV is not the greatest translation in the history of man. You're being silly now.

3. Clara Tea

Clara Tea Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    Revelation 15 (7 plagues) makes it clear that plagues are punishments for attack Iraq (God had warned everyone not to attack Iraq). Obviously, Iraq had not been involved in terrorism, so God was right, and US presidents were wrong.

I want you to notice that all miracles of God (like Covid), look like God had no hand in them. Yet, God sees the future, and even if it looks like mankind (or nature) made the virus, one could always argue that he did not. This is part of freedom of choice that God offers to everyone.

4. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,542
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    Ah, dear Trailblazer, we've been here many times before. If God is omnipotent (and omniscient, and perfect, and ...) then nothing can, nothing ever did, nothing ever will happen contrary to what [he] perfectly foresaw before [he] made the universe. And since [he] made the universe like that, it is always and only the universe all of whose details [he] foresaw and intended.

Given [his] omni status, there's no other possibility.

But you knew I'd say that.
    I'm talking about what any moral being would do. If God's a moral being then I stand by what I said ─ [he] should intervene rather than let bad things happen.
    There is no theological free will with an omni god. There is no physical free will in that humans can't make decisions independently of their evolved decision-making brain functions.
    A God who can only help "through helping humans" is not an omni god. Which is it?
    That's a humanist line, not a theological statement. It's a human problem and humans must fix it, and the vaccine projects haven't done a bad job.
    Then if your God exists, I reject [him] outright as meaningless in my terms.

5. samtonga43

samtonga43 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Religion:
    Christian
    You are free to do so.

6. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,255
    Religion:
    Jehovah's Witness
    Did He now? I though we got coronavirus from destroying nature and messing up the world that we depend on. If I understood well, if humans stopped cutting down forests and messing up the natural world, many viruses would stay where they belong and we wouldn't even know they exist. If we took care of the planet like the bible says we should do, we wouldn't be in this situation, but while I've been writing this post I'm pretty sure a few more trees went down in a rainforest somewhere, and they weren't put down by God.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. firedragon

firedragon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,498
    Alas. An Atheist who believes in the Bible, literally.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thomas t

thomas t non-denominational Christian

Ratings:
    +335
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe prasing God is for believers only.

I don't think that Christianity's truth is shallow.
    Corona does not transfer Jesus from right to left.
    If Corony would kill me today, I would praise God (thanks to God, I'm Corona free at the moment), since I expect life after death.
    I'm already curious a bit...
    I would also praise and thank God if I could do the next song recording on Friday though.
    Either way; God is a good God to me, I think.

9. samtonga43

samtonga43 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Religion:
    Christian
    Double Alas! This atheist also believes that the KJV is the 'most perfect' translation. (Surely 'most perfect' is just wrong, since 'perfect' is already superlative.)

10. firedragon

firedragon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,498
    Well. Thats also true! Double Alas!

11. cOLTER

cOLTER Active Member

Ratings:
    +183
    Religion:
    Disciple
    The Bible reflects the human understanding of God with much speculation and conjecture. The Israelites actually evolved into better concepts of deity evidenced by their own scripture.

12. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,482
    Religion:
    Process of Spiritual Healing
    I don't know. I think of "pandemics" as people actually dying on contact. Thousands of people who have COVID symptoms do get better. Also, I don't believe COVID deaths are strictly from COVID and no other related illnesses. So, to me, I'm just careful (especially with numbers) on what I read and see in the news. However, I'm just speaking of the United States. If I get myself worked up over contagious illnesses all over the world, I wouldn't know where I'd be.

I guess in this case it's best to be a deist. Although that term doesn't quite make sense to me since theist are just deity believers, the nature of the belief is irrelevant. In the sense, though, god putting things in motion and leaving things be makes more sense as since it's not involved in the working of this particular planet of all of them, then there is no reason to blame it.

13. Andrew Reil

Andrew Reil Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Religion:
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    Please help me understand what you mean by "that which belongs to them". What sorts of things would belong to you that you should have faith in? Also, what do those weak in faith rationalize?

14. SeekingAllTruth

SeekingAllTruth Active Member

Ratings:
    +433
    Religion:
    agnostic deist

None of this is in the Bible. This is all your personal interpretation of some extremely vague passages. I think it's baloney that I am guilty for something a couple of mythical characters did 6000 years ago. This was an invention by the church to get pagans to believe that they were born in sin and needed Jesus to get them out. Again, this is a very subjective interpretation. 20 other people in here can each interpret the passage entirely differently. I only go by the language and the language has God clearly saying,

"I create evil"

Don't read more into it.

15. samtonga43

samtonga43 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Religion:
    Christian
    [QUOTE I only go by the language [/QUOTE]

And there, my friend, is your problem.

16. SeekingAllTruth

Ratings:
    +433
    Religion:
    agnostic deist
    That is why I am in conflict about it. I can't help but feel that a Higher Power should share in some responsibility in what happens to His creation, although from all outward appearances He/It doesn't.

17. SeekingAllTruth

Ratings:
    +433
    Religion:
    agnostic deist
    And there, my friend, is your problem.[/QUOTE]
    With 30,000 different denominations and near as many different interpretations of the scriptures I say the problem is clearly yours.

18. sojourner

sojourner Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Ratings:
    +5,271
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    Humanity may have ACTED more evil than good, but as we all know, we are not defined by our actions.

19. SeekingAllTruth

Ratings:
    +433
    Religion:
    agnostic deist
    That's the crux of my dilemma. God admits that He creates evil. That is proactive therefore God must have done it or at the least permitted it to run rampant. It's like a father playing hide and seek with his kids. He pops out and says boo and then disappears somewhere and the kids look for him and can't find him.

20. SeekingAllTruth

Ratings:
    +433
    Religion:
    agnostic deist
    Nooooo, of course we aren't. :rolleyes: Ever hear the expression "Actions speak louder than words"? Is it the thought I want to rob my rich neighbor that hurts him or my actually robbing him.