• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Homosexuality such a polarizing issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
So responsible, safe drinking isn't bad?

No I don't, in fact medically(right now at least, we all know how fickle doctors are :) ) it is good for you(1 glass of wine or 4 beers I beleive).

DrM

According to many fundamentalists, and biblical literalists, the bible clearly indicates that homosexuality is a sin punishable by death. To take this as fact, in their view the bible is the inerrant word of God. Why do so many choose this particular subject? 1) They blame it on the bible, which isn't the "real" truth in my opinion, 2) Many people think homosexuality acts are disguisting, making it easier to hate, 3) Others are afraid that homosexuality will devour the family as it exists, 4) Sexuality as a whole is mostly looked upon as sin, since it was through sin that we were conceived.

Homosexuality is an easy target.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
"

According to many fundamentalists, and biblical literalists, the bible clearly indicates that homosexuality is a sin punishable by death. To take this as fact, in their view the bible is the inerrant word of God. Why do so many choose this particular subject? 1) They blame it on the bible, which isn't the "real" truth in my opinion, 2) Many people think homosexuality acts are disguisting, making it easier to hate, 3) Others are afraid that homosexuality will devour the family as it exists, 4) Sexuality as a whole is mostly looked upon as sin, since it was through sin that we were conceived.

Homosexuality is an easy target."

thanks for the summary.

linwood

Judge throws out Louisiana gay marriage ban

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/10/05/gay.marriage.ap/index.html

To Maize and others who have expressed exasperation about this insanity going on...

Don`t let it depress you, this is how our system has always worked and will continue to work.
Sometimes it`s agonizingly slow but it almost always turns out to be the "right" thing to do.

Unless the courts are prohibited from repealing these idiotic laws intolerance will never sneak it`s slimy little head into the US constitution.

State constitutions eventually follow suit.

Keep yer heads up.

:)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Thanks, linwood. :) I think you are right. The right thing will be done in the end. Unfortunely, some of us need it done now. But for now, we will celebrate the small victories.

Rex

Founder
Wow! Great find.

linwood said:
Judge throws out Louisiana gay marriage ban

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/10/05/gay.marriage.ap/index.html

To Maize and others who have expressed exasperation about this insanity going on...

Don`t let it depress you, this is how our system has always worked and will continue to work.
Sometimes it`s agonizingly slow but it almost always turns out to be the "right" thing to do.

Unless the courts are prohibited from repealing these idiotic laws intolerance will never sneak it`s slimy little head into the US constitution.

State constitutions eventually follow suit.

Keep yer heads up.

:)

linwood

some of us need it done now.

I can understand that Maize and if it`s any consolation the fact that the right has chosen this as an election year ploy to rally the religious to their side has forced them to put pressure on this topic they normally wouldn`t.

This pressure will demand that their retractors act quickly to defend our rights.
This all creates an impatience within society as a whole which I believe will soon force The courts to rule far quicker than they might normally.

I believe this reversal in Louisiana is evidence of that, it only took three weeks.

So...when I analyse it it seems to me that even though I despise that it has happened at all it may very well be the best way to actually gaurantee homosexual rights as quickly as possible.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Jim DeMint is a piece of work. The slur about lesbians in an email was a nice touch.

Melody

linwood said:
I just found this on CNN.

Can there be any doubt that this marraige ban is supported by anything other than discriminatory intolerance?

Intolerance doesn't just come from the straight community or the religious right. A few years ago I overhead one of my professors, who happened to be gay, tell a class member that she had no business being in a classroom because she was a poor role model because she was fat. I was a bit shocked because I thought this professor would have first hand experience of intolerances.

linwood

Intolerance doesn't just come from the straight community or the religious right.

I never said it did.

It does however in this situation.

Has this professor submitted legislation that allows only skinny people access to education?

I`m not saying people can`t be intolerant, thats their right.
I`m saying they can`t make their intolerance law.

They don`t have that privilege.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Melody said:
Intolerance doesn't just come from the straight community or the religious right. A few years ago I overhead one of my professors, who happened to be gay, tell a class member that she had no business being in a classroom because she was a poor role model because she was fat. I was a bit shocked because I thought this professor would have first hand experience of intolerances.
That's quite true, Melody, intolerance doesn't just come from the straight community or the religious right. Your professor was a jerk. But one thing the religious right has done with its intolerance of homosexuality is institutionalize it. They've created organizations, such as Focus on the Family, that are virtually dedicated to perpetuating intolerance against homosexuality. That moves the game to a whole new level.

true blood

The only reason homosexuality is an issue is because long ago God showed man what is good and what He requires of us. Along with doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with God, I feel there has been set an ideal lifestyle or relationship that would be God's will for mankind between a Man and a Woman. However if men and women decide to choose what is best for themselves, so be it, that is their own will, not God's nor mine. I myself have several friends who are lesbian and they are alot of fun to be around with but from my experience and friendship with my friends they are mainly lesbian because they have carnal desires to "get off" on a daily basis. So long as they are getting their daily orgasim, they are happy. That is definately not God's will for mankind...but we still love them.

Melody

Sunstone said:
They've created organizations, such as Focus on the Family, that are virtually dedicated to perpetuating intolerance against homosexuality. That moves the game to a whole new level.

At least they're out in the open where you can fight them. Unfortunately this professor's attitude is pretty common in the educational field....only it's not openly talked about. A bit harder to fight against something that's swept under the rug. So maybe you should be thankful that the religious right (and when I use that term, it is synonymous with "fanatic") is so outspoken. ;)

linwood

I myself have several friends who are lesbian and they are alot of fun to be around with but from my experience and friendship with my friends they are mainly lesbian because they have carnal desires to "get off" on a daily basis.

You are aware that heterosexuals "get off".
You are aware some heterosexuals desire to "get off" daily.
Are you aware that if "getting Off" is the only reason for choosing your sexuality you Would be far more successful being hetero simply because of the odds.

It`s amazing !!

Melody

true blood said:
I myself have several friends who are lesbian and they are alot of fun to be around with but from my experience and friendship with my friends they are mainly lesbian because they have carnal desires to "get off" on a daily basis. So long as they are getting their daily orgasim, they are happy. That is definately not God's will for mankind...but we still love them.

Ummm....that description fits a lot of the heterosexual couples I know.

Lightkeeper

true blood said:
The only reason homosexuality is an issue is because long ago God showed man what is good and what He requires of us. Along with doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with God, I feel there has been set an ideal lifestyle or relationship that would be God's will for mankind between a Man and a Woman. However if men and women decide to choose what is best for themselves, so be it, that is their own will, not God's nor mine. I myself have several friends who are lesbian and they are alot of fun to be around with but from my experience and friendship with my friends they are mainly lesbian because they have carnal desires to "get off" on a daily basis. So long as they are getting their daily orgasim, they are happy. That is definately not God's will for mankind...but we still love them.
God gave us a brain so that we could determine for ourselves what is required of us.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
true blood said:
The only reason homosexuality is an issue is because long ago God showed man what is good and what He requires of us.
True Blood -
You do realize that the crux of this argument is that those that disagree with your premise that "God showed man what is good..." also do not agree with the desire of the religious right to turn this view of right and wrong into law.

TVOR

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
true blood said:
The only reason homosexuality is an issue is because long ago God showed man what is good and what He requires of us.

No, the only reason homosexuality is an issue is because religious nutsos throw a hissy fit every time something doesn't coincide with their beliefs. Squeaky wheel getting the grease and all that.

Along with doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with God, I feel there has been set an ideal lifestyle or relationship that would be God's will for mankind between a Man and a Woman.

See, there is a keyword there. "I." YOU think that way. Not everyone thinks the same thing.

That, and if I remember correctly the Greeks.. Romans? Whichever one had the Spartans, thought the highest form of love could only be achieved between two men.

/random tidbit

I myself have several friends who are lesbian and they are alot of fun to be around with but from my experience and friendship with my friends they are mainly lesbian because they have carnal desires to "get off" on a daily basis. So long as they are getting their daily orgasim, they are happy. That is definately not God's will for mankind...but we still love them.

... that is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've heard about why lesbians are lesbians in a long time. Last I checked, there's less emotional baggage and social shun from a hand than from other women.

To say crap like that totally demeans the love that many gay couples have for each other.

For shame, and all that.

Reactions: Pah
Status
Not open for further replies.