• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Homosexuality such a polarizing issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

true blood

I disagree. I admit that I do not know the different levels of "brotherly love" but I do know using names like "bigot" is not one of them. Also, being married with 2 children does not rule out a person's homosexuality. Actually from what I take of this thread is that homosexual persons can very much be [or desire] to marry and in some cases have a family of their own and that the heterosexuals should or need to have the same brotherly love towards them.

true blood

Jensa said:
Pointing out someone's being hateful isn't being hateful in turn. It's stating the obvious.

Don't be hypocritical. Calling someone a name isn't being helpful in any way unless your goal is to breed more hate. Look, if homosexuality is such an issue we need to learn how to tear down the wall, and using words like bigot will just keep building it up.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'm not being hypocritical. I'm not saying that homosexuals should run around and call everyone that disagrees with them a bigot. I'm saying that when someone is gay-bashing, it needs to be called out. If nobody calls them out on it, then they keep doing it.

Pah

Uber all member
true blood said:
....And if a heterosexual bashes a homosexual and then the homosexual returns by calling him a bigot, between the two which one is demonstrating brotherly love? Neither.

Then I guess it is up to me and TVOR to call homophobics bigots.

As if identifying a bigot has anything to do with orientation.

-pah-

true blood

Jensa said:
I'm not being hypocritical. I'm not saying that homosexuals should run around and call everyone that disagrees with them a bigot. I'm saying that when someone is gay-bashing, it needs to be called out. If nobody calls them out on it, then they keep doing it.

Ok. I can agree but only if you are a perfect sinless human being.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
true blood said:

*perks head up* Uh-oh, they found someone without blame? I'm in trouble, because apparently they get to cast the first stone. Maybe pillows are a nicer weapon?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
true blood said:
True Blood -

Let's get this straightened out. First, as I have said before, and has been pointed out to you, I'm married, with 2 kids, and heterosexual as a person can be. If you wish to question my sexuality, fine. I honestly could not care less - I'm comfortable with who I am, and so are my wife and kids.

It might help if you and the rest of the homophobic bigots could grasp the fact that I don't have the same belief system that you do. I use the word bigot, because I think the following definitions (from Webster's Dictionary) seem apropos:
Bigot (n.) A hypocrite; esp., a superstitious hypocrite.

Bigot (n.) A person who regards his own faith and views in matters of religion as unquestionably right, and any belief or opinion opposed to or differing from them as unreasonable or wicked. In an extended sense, a person who is intolerant of opinions which conflict with his own, as in politics or morals; one obstinately and blindly devoted to his own church, party, belief, or opinion.

Please feel free to correct me. If either of these definitions do not perfectly describe the attitude and mind set you have displayed on this (and other) thread (s), help me to understand. From my knowledge of the English language, it almost looks like they were written with this thread in mind. As for you comment that I am being a hypocrite - the fact that I speak the truth does not make me a hypocrite - it just makes me hard to take (if you are on the receiving end).

I also have no problem with you, Raphael, Wleeper, or anyone else thinking that all homosexuals are going to hell. Personally, I think you are in for a tough shock when the lights go out, and there is no one waiting at any "Pearly Gates". You're belief in what will happen to me or my friends after I (we) pass away is immaterial.

If you do not wish to be called a bigot, please refrain from acting like one.

Next, if you would, please do me one favor. At some point in your life, try to ask yourself the question - is it possible that everything you were taught as a child might possibly be wrong. I don't expect you to actually search for the truth, I'd just like to see if you can screw up the courage to ask the question.

Lastly, you insinuate that my using the term bigot builds a wall and inhibits communication. I'll agree with that. You do need to understand, that until and unless you refrain from speaking and acting like a bigot, I will continue to call you one. If you want me to value what you say (and whether you believe it or not, I'd like to be able to) and the opinions you hold, please cut back on telling my friends how perverse they are - it offends me.

Know this - civility and decorum are the only reasons that I constrain my comments as I do.

Disgustedly,
TVOR

PS - I would love to take this conversation to the level of logic, reason, and rational thought. Unfortunately, one side of this debate insists on reverting to bigotry. Kind of a drag, isn't it?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
linwood said:
Can any religious person here give one reason homosexuality is wrong that is not based on any religious text?
Because if you can`t then the argument is moot.

Just one reason.
This is the first post on page 11. Not one of the individuals claiming the moral high ground has yet to proffer an answer. Not one.

Just a little nugget - don't take positions that you cannot or will not defend. Pay close attention to the last 6 words of the first sentence. Limit your answer to logic, reason, and rational thought.

What? No takers? Okay.

True Blood -
One last thought for you. When I was a youngster, I lived in North Carolina (late 50's, early 60's). At that time, in that place, African Americans were treated deplorably. My grandmother was a firm believer that you should "call a spade a spade". She was raised that way. Make no mistake, I loved my grandmother with all my heart. But you know what? She was a racist. I never told her that to her face (did I mention that she was my grandmother?), but nevertheless, she was. Since you aren't making apple pies for my family over the holidays, I have no problem telling you what you are. If you are offended by that, then good. Perhaps it will make you look at what you say. I have no wish to convert you from your Christian belief system, or to renounce the values and morals that you hold dear. I am only asking that you keep the hatred out of your voice when you speak to people. Especially people that you do not personally know, and have never done you harm.

I'm pretty sure that if God wants to smite them to hell, he can handle it himself.

TVOR

Status
Not open for further replies.