• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Homosexuality such a polarizing issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linwood

Can any religious person here give one reason homosexuality is wrong that is not based on any religious text?

Because if you can`t then the argument is moot.

Just one reason.

Can someone explain to me the current rationale that homosexual marriage will destroy the sanctity of marriage?

true blood

Well suppose that Homo's get their "law to marry", what will be next? Should a union between a group of people become law? Shall we begin to marry animals? Should 3 men allow to be married or 3 women? Should a brother be able to marry his sister? Should a woman be able to marry another woman? A man to another man? Or between a man and a woman?

true blood

Dude you can take as many frugal points away from me as you wish however I have the rights and abilities to post my view points and opinions. I want to know where homos "draw the line" for marriage or the line for sexual activities and why. I'll never support this site and I frown on the method of benifiting from negativity and difference. It's interesting that most of the supporters and moderators of a religious forums are basicly athiest or gay, why would they provide a medium for us to express our beliefs and then bash us for doing so?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
true blood said:
Dude you can take as many frugal points away from me as you wish however I have the rights and abilities to post my view points and opinions.
You're right. And I have the right and ability to tell you exactly what I think of your views and opinions. However in the interest of keeping my job as a moderator, I won't.

I want to know where homos "draw the line" for marriage or the line for sexual activities and why.
Frankly, outside of having the right to a legal marriage with my partner, I don't give a damn what anyone else does in the privacy of their own home or in their legal contracts and I cannot fathom why you do! Giving BLGT people equal rights is NOT going to make way for people marrying animals, how stupid can you get! Marriage is a legal contract, an animal cannot consent to a legal contract! As for people marrying more than one person, hey it's not for me, but I'm not going to tell anyone else what they can and can't do, apparently you think that's your job!

And it's MS. Dude to you, sir!

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
true blood said:
I'll never support this site
That's your choice.
and I frown on the method of benifiting from negativity and difference.
And who is benefiting from your negativity and difference towards BLGT people?
It's interesting that most of the supporters and moderators of a religious forums are basicly athiest or gay, why would they provide a medium for us to express our beliefs and then bash us for doing so?
If you want to express your beliefs without anyone commenting on them, then you are in the wrong forum for that. Try the individual religion forums, where you can express you beliefs all you want about your religion. If you don't like being challenged in the debates, stay out of them. Simple enough.

true blood

Well Ms. Dude I'm sure somewhere on this planet at sometime, probably in some distant country, weddings between humans and animals have or continue to take place. You don't give a damn what other people do in their own homes but what if your children were in anothers home? Would you care then?

Rex

Founder
true blood said:
Dude you can take as many frugal points away from me as you wish however I have the rights and abilities to post my view points and opinions. I want to know where homos "draw the line" for marriage or the line for sexual activities and why. I'll never support this site and I frown on the method of benifiting from negativity and difference. It's interesting that most of the supporters and moderators of a religious forums are basicly athiest or gay, why would they provide a medium for us to express our beliefs and then bash us for doing so?
You can also cast negative frugal points if you wish. We give that option to those who want to help this site stay alive.

And yes some of our MODs/Supporters are gay and athiest. The last time I checked the word "religion" does not advocate one set of beliefs but rather all sets of beliefs. I might ask where I can find a more diverse group of people supporting a site for religious education of a religions/beliefs.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
true blood said:
Well Ms. Dude I'm sure somewhere on this planet at sometime, probably in some distant country, weddings between humans and animals have or continue to take place.
Prove it or retract that statement.

You don't give a damn what other people do in their own homes but what if your children were in anothers home? Would you care then?
Well, I don't know what kind of parent you are, but I get to know people before I let my children into someone's home without me.

Rex

Founder
true blood said:
Well Ms. Dude I'm sure somewhere on this planet at sometime, probably in some distant country, weddings between humans and animals have or continue to take place. You don't give a damn what other people do in their own homes but what if your children were in anothers home? Would you care then?
You cannot protect your children from reality. Whether they see it now or later they will eventually have to come to see things you might not approve of. This doesn't make those people bad and doesn't make your child want to be like them if they are taught from a young age that there are many different people.

I mean grow up in a society that doesn't eat cow and let them visit your home (assuming you eat meat) and try and guess what they will say about you.

true blood

Maize said:
If you want to express your beliefs without anyone commenting on them, then you are in the wrong forum for that. Try the individual religion forums, where you can express you beliefs all you want about your religion. If you don't like being challenged in the debates, stay out of them. Simple enough.

I do not mind challenges in debate but personal attacks against me for making my statements that differ from someone elses in the method of removing frubals and leaving me comments like "get real" or "give me a break" or "oh please", in the past kinda bothered me, but now I see a patern of who is giving and taking them so be known that any removal and likewise comments by those differing from my beliefs and view will now be in my eyes a bonus on my side of the debate.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
true blood said:
I do not mind challenges in debate but personal attacks against me for making my statements that differ from someone elses in the method of removing frubals and leaving me comments like "get real" or "give me a break" or "oh please", in the past kinda bothered me, but now I see a patern of who is giving and taking them so be known that any removal and likewise comments by those differing from my beliefs and view will now be in my eyes a bonus on my side of the debate.

Whatever floats yer boat. :rolleyes:

Just for the record, it was not a personal attack. We have been over and countered the insane argument that same sex marriage will lead to all these other "evil" things that the religious right can think up to scare people so many times, I can recite the arguments from memory! IT IS A SLIPPERY SLOPE ARGUMENT, and therefore, not valid. Anyone who has done any amount of debating on forums, should know that.

Lightkeeper

true blood said:
I'm not an atheist. You have a right to your opinion. Where do heteros draw the line for sexual activities? Is it whips or chains or physical abuse? I support this site, because it provides a forum in which to discuss all view points. I support open mindedness, love and tolerance. You might want to take some time to get to know the moderators here. They are all loving, tolerant and open minded and work hard to provide a home for free debate and discussion.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
true blood said:
True blood -
I am married (very happily), have two kids, and am as heterosexual as you can get. That said, I have never felt any real need to persecute a group of people (be they black, homosexual, short, etc...). For my money, the fact that someone is Gay, Straight, Bisexual, Homosexual, Heterosexual, etc. has nothing whatsoever to do with their worth as a human being. Rather, I judge people based on their intellect, warmth, values and morals - but hey, what do I know.

I couldn't care less about the frubals either - as I understand, they are a method for others on the forum to give you positive (or in your case, negative) feedback about your ability to present your side of an issue. I like it, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

I must say that I would rather have my children taught in school by someone like Maize or Bastet, knowing that they are lesbian, than by someone of your ilk that espouses hatred of groups (commonly called bigotry).

I find your use of the word homos to be offensive - since you obviously used it in the sense of being a slur, rather than the simple shortening of the word homosexual.
Personally, I think people that are so intimidated by someone else's sexuality are almost certainly insecure in themselves (this is an opinion).

Lastly, you should be glad that I have no more power on this site than you do. I read every post I can by people like SOGPFF because he is very well written, very rarely uses rhetoric (if ever), and has the ability to listen to others - all very admirable traits that you might want to consider emulating. If Rex Admin were foolish enough to give me the power, I would smite the bigots down with a swift stroke of the "Delete" key, and they would be gone forever. Apparently, Rex is wise enough not to give someone like myself that power.

Death (or at least, deletion) to the small minded bigots (whoever they are),
TVOR

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
true blood said:

Umm... Respect the fact that they're just as moral and kind as I am?

And I still don't see why, when people argue about these things, their first reaction is to automatically compare it to humans marrying animals. :bonk: Shouldn't we be concerned about those poor people whose line of thought jumps that way? I know I worry for 'em. :sarcastic

dolly

true blood said:
Well suppose that Homo's get their "law to marry", what will be next? Should a union between a group of people become law? Shall we begin to marry animals? Should 3 men allow to be married or 3 women? Should a brother be able to marry his sister? Should a woman be able to marry another woman? A man to another man? Or between a man and a woman?

The stupidest arguement on earth.

Why should allow interracial marriages! What will happen next?! A person and an animal can marry?! Now, let me ask you: did people and animals marry after interracial marriages were legalized? I think not. Why do you think it will happen this time?

The "what if" isn't a valid arguement. Try again.

Don't say "dude." This is a debate forum. How can you expect people to take you seriously when you address them as "dude?"

you can take as many frugal points away from me as you wish however I have the rights and abilities to post my view points and opinions.

Not really. You signed an agreement to register. Mods can edit/delete/punish etc and generally limit your posts if they feel that it is necessary. When you register, you forfeit your right to free speech.

I want to know where homos "draw the line" for marriage or the line for sexual activities and why.

How about equal rights is where we draw the line. Sexual activities are regarded in the same manner has hets. Adult+Adult concentual. Why? Common sense.

I frown on the method of benifiting from negativity and difference.

How hypocritical.

Well Ms. Dude I'm sure somewhere on this planet at sometime, probably in some distant country, weddings between humans and animals have or continue to take place.

Can you name a country? No? Then don't make ridiculous comments like that.

You don't give a damn what other people do in their own homes but what if your children were in anothers home? Would you care then?

Good parents don't let their children go into the homes of persons about which they know nothing. If they did something sexual that I disagreed with, when they are older, then I would care, but I wouldn't necessarily step in. It's not my life.

I do not mind challenges in debate but personal attacks against me for making my statements that differ from someone elses

*sigh* First of all, I don't see any personal attacks against you. Second, if there was, it wouldn't because you have opposing views. It would be because you are a bigot.

Pah

Uber all member
This talk of people wedded to animals - it fails to recognize that marriage is mutual consent. It has also been brought up (other places, other times) that marriage to kids is likely to happen. Can minors give consent? One fool asked it he could marry his car after homosexual marriage was the law. I would have laughed but he thought it was a serious argument. Maybe I should have laughed - I do laugh at some of the contra-arguments presented here.

-pah-

true blood

So if I oppose homosexuality, I am therefore a bigot?
I have never "espoused" hatred to any group of people on these forums. If you find my usage of the word "homos" offensive, I could state that I find the use of "heteros" offensive, however you should be smart enough to know that was not my intent but take it as you will. I'm not casting judgement according to my own thoughts and feelings but instead according to the rightly divided Word of God. If the truth offends you, so be it, the scripture teaches that it will do that. I've stated many times throughout my history on these forums how I truly felt about homosexuals and the difference the scriptures teach about the sinner and the sin. I try to avoid the threads dealing with homosexuality for its subject but there are many on this site so eventually I'll post my view knowing many are ready to pounce on the opinion because it differs from their own.

I will retract my statements that somewhere a human married an animal but I can almost swear that I read news somewhere that a man married his horse, or something like that. Do not most of the athiest believe we humans have evolved from monkeys? In that scenario we would be animals then, no? And yes, we humans have the ability to give consent, but lets imagine that maybe a monkey has the ability to give consent, or perhaps a dolphine, would it then be possible for a human to marry an animal? Also I'm seriously curious to how the homosexuals feel about group marriages, is it not possible for three or four women to be in love and desire to have a large wedding?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
true blood said:

I think it's the way in which you're opposing homosexuality. There's at least ten people here on the forums that think I'm headed straight to hell. (Not because of my gender preference, but because of my beliefs.) I still love them, though, because they are genuinely honest and kind individuals, who are a credit to their respective religions. These people use tact and arguments that don't focus on the individual. Even if their religion teaches them that theirs is the only belief that is right, they don't try forcing that concept on other people, because they know how obnoxious that would be.

Tact= good.
Attack= bad.

dolly

true blood said:

No. As Feather said, it's why and how you speak of being against it. It's find and dandy if you believe that homosexual actions are sinful. You, however, used offensive slurrs, and clearly don't respect them as humans. That is why you are a bigot.

If the truth offends you, so be it, the scripture teaches that it will do that.

Your truth.

I try to avoid the threads dealing with homosexuality for its subject but there are many on this site so eventually I'll post my view knowing many are ready to pounce on the opinion because it differs from their own.

We don't "pounce" on it just because it is different from ours (though such is the point of debating), we pounce on it because it is a belief that promotes discrimination, violence, and suicide.

Do not most of the athiest believe we humans have evolved from monkeys?

No. The only people who say that are people who understand very little about biology and are desperately trying to disprove evolution.

In that scenario we would be animals then, no?

We are animals.

Also I'm seriously curious to how the homosexuals feel about group marriages, is it not possible for three or four women to be in love and desire to have a large wedding?

We feel the same way about it that heterosexuals do. Is it not possible for a male to love several females and have those females all agree to share him?

*looks annoyed* Besides, what does that have to do with homosexuality.

true blood

dolly said:
No. As Feather said, it's why and how you speak of being against it. It's find and dandy if you believe that homosexual actions are sinful. You, however, used offensive slurrs, and clearly don't respect them as humans. That is why you are a bigot.

Your truth.

We don't "pounce" on it just because it is different from ours (though such is the point of debating), we pounce on it because it is a belief that promotes discrimination, violence, and suicide.

No. The only people who say that are people who understand very little about biology and are desperately trying to disprove evolution.

We are animals.

We feel the same way about it that heterosexuals do. Is it not possible for a male to love several females and have those females all agree to share him?

*looks annoyed* Besides, what does that have to do with homosexuality.

Where did I use offensive slurs? No where. Why is it if I say that the scripture I believe in [which teaches homosexuality is a sin] is the right way, I'm suddenly homophobic and a bigot? So the belief that homosexuality is sinful in the eyes of God promotes discrimination, violence, and suicide? If I use scripture to back up the belief that theivery is sinful in the eyes of God, does that, too, promote discrimination, violence, and suicide? If I use scripture to back up the belief that worshipping false gods is sinful in the eyes of God, does that promote discrimination, violence, and suicide? Look, I've freely made my choice to try and please my God, not to try and please men and women. This shouldn't even be a polarizing issue. Most of you feel that "its none of my business what goes on in the bedroom of others" so why do you dramatize the issue publicly? If anyone is using offensive slurs it has been you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.