• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Homosexuality such a polarizing issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Where did I use offensive slurs? No where. Why is it if I say that the scripture I believe in [which teaches homosexuality is a sin] is the right way, I'm suddenly homophobic and a bigot?

'Homos' is an offensive slur. If you wanted to shorten it, gays is shorter and less offensive.

Why is it if I say that the scripture I believe in [which teaches homosexuality is a sin] is the right way, I'm suddenly homophobic and a bigot?

I love selective reading. Let me quote it for you.

No. As Feather said, it's why and how you speak of being against it. It's find and dandy if you believe that homosexual actions are sinful. You, however, used offensive slurrs, and clearly don't respect them as humans. That is why you are a bigot.

Emphasis mine.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
true blood said:
So the belief that homosexuality is sinful in the eyes of God promotes discrimination, violence, and suicide? If I use scripture to back up the belief that theivery is sinful in the eyes of God, does that, too, promote discrimination, violence, and suicide? If I use scripture to back up the belief that worshipping false gods is sinful in the eyes of God, does that promote discrimination, violence, and suicide? Look, I've freely made my choice to try and please my God, not to try and please men and women. This shouldn't even be a polarizing issue. Most of you feel that "its none of my business what goes on in the bedroom of others" so why do you dramatize the issue publicly? If anyone is using offensive slurs it has been you guys.

Okay, last damn straw.

You try being gay for a day. You try walking down the street and holding hands with someone of the same sex. You try getting married to someone you love who, like everyone else, can't control their gender and see what it feels like to be told, 'No, that's sick and wrong and you're going to hell.'

Thievery isn't a victimless crime. Homosexuality is, assuming it's a crime at all. WHO are we hurting by loving eachother? Nobody, except those who decide to torment themselves with the knowledge that somewhere, someone is having gay sex.

Please your god all you want. Refuse to please us all you want. Just don't force everyone else to subscribe to your beliefs. Frankly, if that's what your god wants, I'm damned glad I'm not a Christian.

You don't want the issue public? Fine. It won't be. But you can't hold hands with your girlfriend/spouse/what the hell ever in public. You can't kiss them, you can't look at them lovingly, you can't tell them you love them, you can't go on dates with them, you can't be anything but friends with him in public.

After all, doing anything else would be making it all public and drama-rific.

true blood

Please. I use a shortened word for homosexuals ONCE out of all my posts and suddenly I'm being called a bigot. Get real. I'm not among the group of bigots you must be familar with. Look I apologize if using that shortened word offended you. Like I said earlier it was not my intent. If I live my life only from a senses point of view I would probably be ok with homosexuality however I try not to.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
true blood -

No one is here to "jump all over you". We are here to debate, explore, search, etc. for answers to questions about many things. However, when you use the Bible to justify your stance on homosexuality, you must understand that those in this world that don't buy into your "divine word of God" are going to put you to the test. When you go as far as to use your belief in a revealed faith, those of us that rely on logic and rational thought are going to ask you to make the statements stand on their own. If you want to use the Bible to rip into homosexuals (or any group for that matter) then you might want to get out of the "Debates" section of the site. Otherwise, the venom will bring those with the antidote running.

I think it was either Linwood (or maybe Mr. Spinkles) that asked for "ONE good reason against homosexuality that wasn't based on a revealed faith". So far, that has not been forthcoming.

Carrier of the antidote for unfounded zealotry,
TVOR

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
One post?

Now I know you're lying.

References:

Post 102 - Well suppose that Homo's get their "law to marry". . .

Post 103 - I want to know where homos "draw the line" . . .

Post 117 - Can be ignored, since you were quoting yourself.

I'm not even going to touch the subject of you saying lesbians are lesbians because they're horny.

true blood

Those posts are from the same day, only minutes apart so I count them as one. Look its a shortened word I used and had I known it would be so offensive to you I wouldn't have used it. Should that word cause so much disdain, I don't understand but if I were in your shoes perhaps I would. And the comment on my lesbian friends is my own free speech and opinion that I pointed out strictly from my own experience and friendship. Don't spin my words. Seriously, I apologize and feel for you. I don't mind if the issue is public until I get slammed for questioning it because of my faith by those who make it public in the first place. I've had "gay" thoughts and temptations before, I personally think everyone has at least once in their life. I just pushed it out of my mind. I'm also a sinner in other aspects of my life but my belief is that God is my sufficiency and my sins are cleansed daily from me as I try to love others the way Christ has loved us. But please accept my apology, all of you, and I guess give me another chance. I meant no disrespect in using that shortened word. Also that word bigot kinda offended me too, but I don't really take it to the heart. I know what kind of person I am and you should as well.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
true blood said:
Those posts are from the same day, only minutes apart so I count them as one.

You may, but the board counts them as three.

Look its a shortened word I used and had I known it would be so offensive to you I wouldn't have used it. Should that word cause so much disdain, I don't understand but if I were in your shoes perhaps I would.

Yea, you probably would. It's only a little less offensive than '******' or 'dyke.'

Well, now you know, eh? :)

And the comment on my lesbian friends is my own free speech and opinion that I pointed out strictly from my own experience and friendship.

And me saying that your comment is ridiculous is free speech, as well.

Don't spin my words.

If you feel I'm spinning your words, perhaps you should be clearer in your posts and how you explain your views.

Seriously, I apologize and feel for you. I don't mind if the issue is public until I get slammed for questioning it because of my faith by those who make it public in the first place.

What business do you have questioning someone about their preference? A pregnant mother walks out in public. Do I have a right to go question her about the father's religion and if they're married?

No. Because it's none of my damn business. Same for homosexuality.

I've had "gay" thoughts and temptations before, I personally think everyone has at least once in their life.

I've always thought everyone got them, too. Most people deny it pretty vehemently, though...

But please accept my apology, all of you, and I guess give me another chance. I meant no disrespect in using that shortened word.

Accepted. Just be more careful in the future, 'kay?

Lightkeeper

true blood said:
Those posts are from the same day, only minutes apart so I count them as one. Look its a shortened word I used and had I known it would be so offensive to you I wouldn't have used it. Should that word cause so much disdain, I don't understand but if I were in your shoes perhaps I would. And the comment on my lesbian friends is my own free speech and opinion that I pointed out strictly from my own experience and friendship. Don't spin my words. Seriously, I apologize and feel for you. I don't mind if the issue is public until I get slammed for questioning it because of my faith by those who make it public in the first place. I've had "gay" thoughts and temptations before, I personally think everyone has at least once in their life. I just pushed it out of my mind. I'm also a sinner in other aspects of my life but my belief is that God is my sufficiency and my sins are cleansed daily from me as I try to love others the way Christ has loved us. But please accept my apology, all of you, and I guess give me another chance. I meant no disrespect in using that shortened word. Also that word bigot kinda offended me too, but I don't really take it to the heart. I know what kind of person I am and you should as well.
Apology accepted, True. I do hope you realize that gays and lesbians are dealing with more than "having gay thoughts and temptations."

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
true blood -

I speak only for myself, but if you say that you intended no offense, that is good enough for me. I will take this opportunity to apologize to you for "jumping on you" - my intention was only to take up the cause to be understood (or at the least, left alone) for my friends (both on this site and in real life) that are being subjected to harassment, discrimination, and yes, bigotry in the form of homophobia. My use of the word bigot was intended to demonstrate my discontent and unwillingness to accept this persecution of a segment of our population that by and large (in my opinion) is constitued of mostly good people. Without question, there are homosexuals that are true slugs, but then again, we can all name more than a few heterosexuals that fit this description as well.

My sincerest apologies if I offended you, but, make no mistake, I will continue to defend any group of people that I feel are being wrongly persecuted. Who knows - some day that group of people (whatever the group may be) may include you or I.

TVOR

dolly

I've had "gay" thoughts and temptations before, I personally think everyone has at least once in their life.

That's called being curious. It is not equal to actually being gay or bi.

But please accept my apology, all of you, and I guess give me another chance. I meant no disrespect in using that shortened word. Also that word bigot kinda offended me too, but I don't really take it to the heart. I know what kind of person I am and you should as well.

I forgive you concerning this incident. I hope you forgive me as well. I'm bi, you see. So this subject is rather touchy for me.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
"That's called being curious. It is not equal to actually being gay or bi."

yep yep, ive had thoughs about doing it with a woman, but it just isnt the same.

Raphael

It seems from the previous statements made that each of the writers favour homosexuality.

It would take too long here to explain why homosexuality is a sexual perversion. It would take too long to explain the purpose of sharing the divine attribute of creation in our human fashion called pro-creation.

It is enough to state that it say that near the end of the world God would send out angels to seperate the sheep from the goats. The reason all immorality is so polarizing is that people are finally being forced to take sides. It is not psychological but a divine intervention in human affairs to force everyone to declare their real alligence.

I feel sorry that anyone has to bear a cross like homosexuality. They like many sinners are driven by perverse impulses. I think what makes homosexuality so much more of an issue is not the recognition of its perverse nature but the denial by its practioners of its moral error. Adulterers and fornicators almost never pretend that they are not involved with a sin. Also it is a militant sin that seeks to spread itself even by force. This is not unusual of most perverse immoral actions but is unusual to any person who is not involved in any perverse behaviors.

No one can sit on a fence post today "if you are not with me, you are against me, those who do not gather together, scatter.

Reactions: Pah

Lightkeeper

Raphael said:
It seems from the previous statements made that each of the writers favour homosexuality.

It would take too long here to explain why homosexuality is a sexual perversion. It would take too long to explain the purpose of sharing the divine attribute of creation in our human fashion called pro-creation.

It is enough to state that it say that near the end of the world God would send out angels to seperate the sheep from the goats. The reason all immorality is so polarizing is that people are finally being forced to take sides. It is not psychological but a divine intervention in human affairs to force everyone to declare their real alligence.

I feel sorry that anyone has to bear a cross like homosexuality. They like many sinners are driven by perverse impulses. I think what makes homosexuality so much more of an issue is not the recognition of its perverse nature but the denial by its practioners of its moral error. Adulterers and fornicators almost never pretend that they are not involved with a sin. Also it is a militant sin that seeks to spread itself even by force. This is not unusual of most perverse immoral actions but is unusual to any person who is not involved in any perverse behaviors.

No one can sit on a fence post today "if you are not with me, you are against me, those who do not gather together, scatter.
What is perverse is passing judgement on others. I feel sorry for individuals who block all their own growth by believing in and spreading untruths.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Raphael said:

Or it can't be explained. Thanks for calling my sexuality a perversion, by the way.

It is enough to state that it say that near the end of the world God would send out angels to seperate the sheep from the goats.

No it isn't. Give me a solid reason why homosexuality is wrong that hasn't been covered in this thread. "God says so" doesn't count. Neither does "But they can't reproduce!" since many other couples can't, either.

Why don't you go preach to them about how their inability to conceive is a sin?

I feel sorry that anyone has to bear a cross like homosexuality.

I feel sorry for anyone who blinds themself with gay-hating and propoganda.

Also it is a militant sin that seeks to spread itself even by force. This is not unusual of most perverse immoral actions but is unusual to any person who is not involved in any perverse behaviors.

Are you talking about "converting" people to homosexuality? Rest assured... I nor any other lesbians I know want that. I don't want people to accept me, I want them to not spout hate every time I'm with my girlfriend in public.

You don't have to approve of something to tolerate it.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Raphael said:

Raphael -
Odd that you would take the name of an angel. On to the reply. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I to mine. The difference is that I understand that my opinion (though superior to yours) does not make me right. You, for whatever reason, are incapable of understanding that your opinion does not make you right - it merely gives you a point of view.
Regardless, feel free to pass judgement on others, even though you do not know them as individuals. Of course, this makes you (by definition) a bigot. Somehow, I feel certain that this will not dampen your resolve to continue spouting hatred in the name of God. My guess is that God would just as soon someone else be his spokesman.

With all due respect (that is to say, none),
TVOR

true blood

We really do not mind if you are a homosexual, in reality, we are only concerned that we will be heterosexual and still have brotherly love for the homosexual. The only present commandment God has given us is to believe in the name of his son Jesus Christ and to love one another and those that keep this commandment dwells in God and he in him and we know this by the spirit he has given us. Therefore if a heterosexual does not love his brother who is homosexual the heterosexual knows not God. And if a heterosexual bashes a homosexual and then the homosexual returns by calling him a bigot, between the two which one is demonstrating brotherly love? Neither.

Michelle

We are all related
However, it should be pointed out that TVOR says he is married with two children. Therefore, he has demonstrated more "brotherly love" as an Agnostic than most Christians have on this matter.

true blood

I disagree. I admit that I do not know the different levels of "brotherly love" but I do know using names like "bigot" is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.