• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Homosexuality such a polarizing issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Anyone have any thoughts on this? We discuss it here everyday in several forms; religious, legal, social, medicial, psychological, etc., but why? Why is this one issue so debated and such a lightening rod for argument? Why are those who oppose homosexuality so opposed to it that it seems their life's mission to rail against it and those persons who happen to be non-heterosexual? I'm trying to understand this and why some people choose this as their cause to fight when seemingly, if they are not homosexual, it has nothing to do with them. Any thoughts?

Pah

Uber all member
Maize said:
Anyone have any thoughts on this? We discuss it here everyday in several forms; religious, legal, social, medicial, psychological, etc., but why? Why is this one issue so debated and such a lightening rod for argument? Why are those who oppose homosexuality so opposed to it that it seems their life's mission to rail against it and those persons who happen to be non-heterosexual? I'm trying to understand this and why some people choose this as their cause to fight when seemingly, if they are not homosexual, it has nothing to do with them. Any thoughts?

Much of the virulence comes from a fear of being considered homosexual from thoughts of homosexual attraction. In the "arousal" study, those that claimed, justifiable from a life practise, heterosexuality and responded to the homosexual images were highly irate when told and expressed vehement, complete denial. It is one aspect of homophobia.

-pah-

Lightkeeper

I have thought that the people who oppose homosexuality the most may be latent homosexuals and as Pah said are victims of homophobia.

Pah

Uber all member
Lightkeeper said:
I have thought that the people who oppose homosexuality the most may be latent homosexuals and as Pah said are victims of homophobia.

I was thinking of something less strong than latency (though that is included). Sometimes children play "doctor" with the same sex and this mild, investigative behavior can be the cause of homophobia.

-pah-

I think whenever there is social or political change, established cultural groups view it as a deviation from an (imagined) idealized past. It's probably the result of the very same social forces that inspired hostility toward blacks in the past.

Ceridwen018

I totally agree, Spinkles! In fact, I am almost alarmed at the parallels between the Civil rights movement and the Gay rights movement today.

standing_on_one_foot

*shrugs* It's something that seems really different to some people, I think. It really bothers or scares a lot of people...and when they express this or act on it, people who aren't as bothered or who are just really opposed to discrimination and so on react. Plus, there are people who really don't care either way, but you don't hear from them much, do you? It's always the opinionated ones who are loudest...

Scott1

That is a downright lie!..... hang on my pantyhose is riding up on me..... anyhow, where were we?
:D
Scott

Mephideus

People have and always will try to control each other's way of life. From 1970-1999 it was Satanism that threatened the family, now it's homosexuality. I guess people need to be angry at somethign they can do nothing about...maybe it gets them up in the morning...

Reactions: Pah

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I agree with most of the previous statements about why homosexuality is a polarizing issue. I'd add that certain organizations are working to perpetuate anti-gay agendas by institutionalizing the agendas. For instance: Focus on the Family. Focus has an anti-gay agenda, 3000 employees, and a budget of about 200 million/year. It was founded by James Dobson, and it will certainly outlast him, spreading anti-gay propaganda long after he's gone.

Ceridwen018

It's strictly a comfort thing.
Believe me, pantyhose have NOTHING to do with comfort. I say we burn them all--its no surprise to me that they were invented by men--like the bra.....

Good post Sunstone--I agree.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Ceridwen018 said:
Believe me, pantyhose have NOTHING to do with comfort. I say we burn them all--its no surprise to me that they were invented by men--like the bra.....

Yes! Make the males wear the bras and pantyhose for a decade or two and see how they like 'em!

It could be that homosexuality is such a polarizing issue because it forces one to confront what they believe on so many levels, at least, depending on how they were brought up. If a person was raised to be homophobic, then when they grow up not only are they having to decide what they think is 'right', this can also affect how they view how those that raised them. If your parents taught you that being gay was wrong, and you now believe otherwise, this makes a person think 'well, are they wrong, or am I?' Or, if a person thinks that every word that they were raised by is true, and doesn't take the time to consider what they believe, those viewpoints automatically become a lightning-rod for an argument, since anyone with a different opinion, in their mind, is saying that they were raised incorrectly.

I've really got only one thing like it in my life to compare it to: I was an odd little child, and liked to read books on vampire mythology. At the age of 8, I knew that boy vampires only bit girls (who sometimes became vampires) and girl vampires only bit boys (who also sometimes became vampires). My mom then one day tried telling me a story where either a boy bit a boy or a girl bit a girl, and I actually broke down crying, because I couldn't believe such a ridiculous thing! It went against everything I'd read! How could the universe flip into chaos with just a few words?!

Whether this was because I'd convinced myself I knew what was 'right' or exactly why I had such a strong reaction, I've never quite learned. But eventually going on to learn that guys sometimes liked guys and girls sometimes liked girls was nowhere near as traumatic as someone trying to explain the whole fictional vampire thing to me. Homosexuality was (apparently) much less polarizing an issue than the snacking preferences of creatures of the night. :D

supertech

If people are trying to follow a certain religion, they will take the stance of that religion; or their understanding of what their religion says about homos. I myself have digressed as far as the christian religion is concerned . Homosexuality in my opinion, is based on the 'if it feels good--do it' syndrome. I know only a few homos, and am by no means a expert on the subject, but the individuals I am aquainted with want nothing to do with a God who dictates what is and is not acceptable. I do not care about them one way or another as long as they do not become a 'special society' within society as a whole. I am of the same mind as Dr. Laura when she said "homosexuals are deviant". Of course they are--otherwise they wouldn't be homosexuals. But what does deviant mean--and then who isn't deviant? I do not think it right to allow these people into a religion that preaches against that lifestyle. If one really has a belief in the Christian faith--then homosexuality is un acceptable and is an abomination before christ. Therefore if you are a 'christian' and you don't agree with that--I suspect your faith is not important to you. WE have women preachers and gay preachers, sodomisers, buggery-- and I don't want to know what else, but I have surmised that the word has stepped aside for the 'feels good' society. The so called 'gays' are part of that society. I have known married women and men who have changed to 'gay' and they are of the feels good attitude until something that feels better comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.