• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Despise Religion

Rational Agnostic

Must I? I would think otherwise, exactly because I don't see a good reason to presume exemption from criticism in the first place.

It is certainly true that the flaw is hardly universal. But that is all the more reason to expose and challenge it where it exists.

Absolutely. Also, I would argue that the flaw is much closer to universal than many are making it out to be.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
At what point in the evolutionary process do you believe souls came into existence? If humans live forever, do apes? How about dogs? Rabbits? Mice? Grasshoppers? Ants? Mosquitoes? Also, do their magical souls go to the same dimension as other animals, or does each species have its own designate dimension?
All living things have a soul, not just humans. Humans have evolved the more complex individualized souls. Animals generally have group souls with others in their group.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
It is certainly true that the flaw is hardly universal. But that is all the more reason to expose and challenge it where it exists.
Right, but to simply say all religious groups express and support this is inaccurate and lazy. (Not saying you made this argument, but speaking generally.)

Quetzal

Premium Member
Yes I can because they all believe in some form of afterlife, either heaven/hell, reincarnation, or something in between.
But the specifics regarding these beliefs, how they are obtained and how believers in these religions varies greatly not only from religion to religion, but also within sects of those religions.

suncowiam

If someone believes in this and they find comfort in it, who are you to try to take that away from them? For what purpose?

My conflict with religion no matter the result, good or bad, is that its fundamental processes are flawed. One can sum up religion on heresay, speculation and faith.

The first two builds beliefs that are not proven. The last is a reinforcement of the first two to continue the belief. Then religion spits in the face of actual evidence in some cases like creationism or sexual activity/orientation being dangerous. Its biggest flaw is an authority to all mighty being(s) that no one can prove exists.

We say religion is right for taking care of the poor or helping one another. We then tell religion its wrong to hate based on other religions or sexual orientation. However, it all came from the same processes which is the interpretation of books based on heresay and speculation.

Religion is the most mainstream process that has gotten so much wrong and yet continues to get a pass do more things wrong.

Also, a secondary point is that just because something feels good doesn't necessarily make it good.

Quetzal

Premium Member
My conflict with religion no matter the result, good or bad, is that its fundamental processes are flawed. One can sum up religion on heresay, speculation and faith.

The first two builds beliefs that are not proven. The last is a reinforcement of the first two to continue the belief. Then religion spits in the face of actual evidence in some cases like creationism or sexual activity/orientation being dangerous. Its biggest flaw is an authority to all mighty being(s) that no one can prove exists.

We say religion is right for taking care of the poor or helping one another. We then tell religion its wrong to hate based on other religions or sexual orientation. However, it all came from the same processes which is the interpretation of books based on heresay and speculation.

Religion is the most mainstream process that has gotten so much wrong and yet continues to get a pass do more things wrong.

Also, a secondary point is that just because something feels good doesn't necessarily make it good.
Do you believe that all religions are this way?

David1967

Premium Member
I couldn't care less if I cease to exist after Death.

Good point. It would be nice to graduate to something better after this life, but if we cease to exist then there is nothing left of us to contemplate how bad it is to not exist.:confused:

Quetzal

Premium Member
Bingo! So where do people from your planet go after death?
If they are bad, they go to Earth. If they are good, they still go to Earth. My planet is not exactly what you call "fair".

suncowiam

Bingo! So where do people from your planet go after death?

Sorry. I can find "comfort" in many things that could also be destructive to my family and others.

There has to be other rules around this need of comfort to make it morally good.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Good point. It would be nice to graduate to something better after this life, but if we cease to exist then there is nothing left of us to contemplate how bad it is to not exist.:confused:
if 'non-existence' is even bad to begin with.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Yes I do.

If the religion is based on a god or gods, then its required to prove these gods exist. Every moral and ethics are based on these all mighty beings.
Well, then this discussion is over. Feel free to join the chorus of oversimplification if you'd like. But I will not be joining you.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
This sounds like proselytizing.

I fail to see what's wrong with believing in an afterlife. I take comfort in my belief that I'll be reunited with my loved ones. It's simply my view that this life is not enough. I also believe that non-human animals have immortal souls (and plants and other creatures) and that we're not "special" in that regard. Oh, and "more evolved" isn't the case. That's not how evolution works.