• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Despise Religion

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I
Actually, I invite everyone to think for themselves and not let a doctrine set their beliefs.

I cant justify specific religious beliefs without further evidence.

I read some of jainism from Wikipedia and it is based on scripture. The problem with scripture is that it rarely changes to adapt to a changing world.

We see advances in many areas to prove various aspects of religion to be one but because of faith and indoctrination religioners simply won't accept the evidence.

This is dangerous in many cases.
I agree.

But the Dharmic approach to scripture is the complete opposite to the Abrahamic ways. So do not make assumptions about Jainism and their relationship to scripture based on the way Christians, Jewish people and Muslims use scripture. Many Hindus and probably most Jains will only rely on scripture if it proves to be helpful. Scripture does adapt and people are encouraged to not go to it for every little thing and instead figure things out for themselves. Of course there are those who rely heavily on scripture in any religion to dictate to them many if not most aspects of life. I find such an approach stifling but to each their own.

suncowiam

I

I agree.

But the Dharmic approach to scripture is the complete opposite to the Abrahamic ways. So do not make assumptions about Jainism and their relationship to scripture based on the way Christians, Jewish people and Muslims use scripture. Many Hindus and probably most Jains will only rely on scripture if it proves to be helpful. Scripture does adapt and people are encouraged to not go to it for every little thing and instead figure things out for themselves. Of course there are those who rely heavily on scripture in any religion to dictate to them many if not most aspects of life. I find such an approach stifling but to each their own.

Fair enough. I understand and agree with your points.

It's subjective but people really need to think for themselves and not let others lead them blindly. Especially if we use reasons that can never be proven like the existence of supernatural beings that never appear to us.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Fair enough. I understand and agree with your points.

It's subjective but people really need to think for themselves and not let others lead them blindly. Especially if we use reasons that can never be proven like the existence of supernatural beings that never appear to us.
I can't argue with you there. Blind faith is often,IMO, intellectually lazy.

ScottySatan

most people never get a chance to live as if they will actually cease to exist one day; instead; religion has turned people into cowards, afraid to take chances; procrastinating on living the lives that they actually want to live. "I'll do that when I get to heaven" is a phrase commonly uttered by religious folk who have deluded themselves into believing that they will somehow be alive after they are dead.

When I was a kid, I was christian, and this had the opposite effect on me. I heard so much to not covet great things in this life, and how much greater the next life would be. My interpretation of that was to live recklessly. I wondered then, still do now as a non-christian, wonder why others didn't behave the same way. My belief at the time was, and still is a little bit now, that it was due to lack of faith. Realizing that I was a Satanist is what saw me starting to take care of myself.

That said, I don't believe your second part about people saying "I'll do that when I get to heaven". I've never once heard anyone say that. Instead I hear that being in heaven will remove the desire for that kind of foolishness. Hence, all the songs and stories about how boring heaven probably is.

I'm beginning to suspect that there's just a lot of boring people out there who don't "actually want to live" either now or later.

Last edited: