• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I believe America will soon lose its democracy.

PureX

Veteran Member
It isn't entirely clear that impeachment is a civil procedure. Given that the result can be conviction and removal from office, it seems like a criminal investigation.

I am not an attorney, so I could be wrong here.
I'm not sure, either. But I do know there is not danger of going to prison for a civil offense, whereas there is for a criminal offense. So I assume impeachment is civil, while treason could conceivably result in prison or theoretically even execution. Making it a criminal matter.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Again, they would not be able to exist today without abortion. Unfortunately they are now getting our tax money. What an obscene insult to freedom.
What makes you think that? Abortions are a rather small percentage of their operation.

Of course, if you were really against abortion you would support funding them. In reality it appears that not only are you anti choice. You also appear to want to stick your nose in the business of others.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It isn't entirely clear that impeachment is a civil procedure. Given that the result can be conviction and removal from office, it seems like a criminal investigation.

I am not an attorney, so I could be wrong here.
Trump could be tried for crimes subsequent to those
for which he was impeached. No double jeopardy.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
For the record, I don't understand America at all! So you're quite right. In my defense, irrational behaviours always leave me befuddled.

Irrational behaviors… like when people create hundreds of topics complaining and obsessing about Conservatives in another country.

Yeah I don’t get it either. The irrational hatred and fear. It’s something else. Its… “befuddling”. Better to focus it, direct it, and expend it doing something useful, until it is gone, exploiting it as a strength while it lasts… rather than letting it devour you slowly over time, becoming some incredible weakness that defines who you are.

F1fan

Veteran Member
And yet....our "Hitler" was sent packing despite
his attempts to stage a coup in the White House.
They leaned their lessons.

Not learned that being ethical is right, honorable, and constitutional, but learned how to make sure they succeed at the coup next time. It was a few pesky ethical republicans who got in the way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They leaned their lessons.

Not learned that being ethical is right, honorable, and constitutional, but learned how to make sure they succeed at the coup next time. It was a few pesky ethical republicans who got in the way.
Many times in my life I've heard that the sky is falling.
It hasn't yet.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Are you predicting that democracy here is doomed to soon fail?
My comment about wolves is that there are actors in our political system that pose a threat to our democracy. That threat is clear and there are examples of it happening already, as we saw in the New Mexico county that refused to certify their primaries because of "feelings", not evidence. Oddly they accepted their own election wins.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My comment about wolves is that there are actors in our political system that pose a threat to our democracy. That threat is clear and there are examples of it happening already, as we saw in the New Mexico county that refused to certify their primaries because of "feelings", not evidence. Oddly they accepted their own election wins.
OK.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I don't consider it to be a wrong to remove an embryo or fetus from a woman who doesn't want to be pregnant.
Now shifting from legal to moral/ethical ...

And why don't you consider abortion wrong?
My guess (and my position) is that it is in accord with my first principles of morality.

Human well being and the absence of suffering is one of those first principles. An Embryo lacks the ability to suffer because it doesn't have a nervous system.
Another first principle is liberty. The ability to chose ones way of life (as long as it doesn't conflict with other peoples rights).

@Wildswanderer: What are your first principles of morality and how is your position in accord with them?