• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does The Media Bombard Us With Stuff?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
This whole Jenner thing has got me thinking. Not the operation, the first sex-change operation was in 1952, when George Jergensen became Christine Jergensen; it's OLD news and the first one happened before I was even born. Countless of thousands of people have gotten the operation and thousands more are going to get the operation. It isn't something I either worry about or even care about.

What I am speaking about is how the media bombards us with him/her. Whatever Jenner decided to do, it was his/her own business and had absolutely nothing to do with me. I am not a fan of his/hers and I never was. I was only about 9 or 10 when he was a big Olympic star, and I just wasn't interested in the Olympics back then.
Everywhere I go, I see Jenner's face: On my TV, on my computer in the form of News feeds and on Facebook, and I saw him/her on the covers of magazines while we were out shopping. I am so tired of hearing the name and seeing the face.

This kind of bombardment is nothing new; it's happened before and it will happen again, so this is just an empty rant.
Actually, I needed to get it off my chest.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
This whole Jenner thing has got me thinking. Not the operation, the first sex-change operation was in 1952, when George Jergensen became Christine Jergensen; it's OLD news and the first one happened before I was even born. Countless of thousands of people have gotten the operation and thousands more are going to get the operation.

What I am speaking about is how the media bombards us with him/her. Whatever Jenner decided to do, it was his/her own business and had absolutely nothing to do with me. I am not a fan of his/hers and I never was. I was only about 9 or 10 when he was a big Olympic star, and I just wasn't interested in the Olympics back then.
Everywhere I go, I see Jenner's face: On my TV, on my computer in the form of News feeds and on Facebook, and I saw him/her on the covers of magazines. I am so tired of hearing the name and seeing the face.

This kind of bombardment is nothing new; it's happened before and it will happen again, so this is just an empty rant.
I just think it's wonderful that after all the hype, the reality shows, the media attention that family has sucked up over the years - the real story was not Kanye, Kim or Chloe - but Bruce. The irony is breathtaking.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The story sells, so they will continue to tell it over various forms of media until it doesn't sell anymore.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I just think it's wonderful that after all the hype, the reality shows, the media attention that family has sucked up over the years - the real story was not Kanye, Kim or Chloe - but Bruce. The irony is breathtaking.
That's a good point.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The story has been going on for a couple of months now. I'm hoping that now that Jenner has actually had the operation, it will quiet down now.

SkylarHunter

Because as long as people are distracted with all that BS they are not going to pay attention to the things that are actually important. Best was to manipulate the public is to keep them stupid and mentally blind.

I'm so glad I sold my TV years ago!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
People starve for subject matter over which to bond. We have become solitary multitudes.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
One simply has to be more selective with what media one pays attention to. Stick to public television and public radio, or other reputable outlets that don't give precious air time to worthless gossip, and you won't have to deal with that kind of drivel.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
This whole Jenner thing has got me thinking. Not the operation, the first sex-change operation was in 1952, when George Jergensen became Christine Jergensen; it's OLD news and the first one happened before I was even born. Countless of thousands of people have gotten the operation and thousands more are going to get the operation. It isn't something I either worry about or even care about.

Everywhere I go, I see Jenner's face: On my TV, on my computer in the form of News feeds and on Facebook, and I saw him/her on the covers of magazines while we were out shopping. I am so tired of hearing the name and seeing the face.

The media "bombard" us with storiess that will sell. If you are looking for people to blame, the media should be at the bottom of your list. Society in general loves stories like this, and it is clear from how much money they are making off the story. It is simply a matter of making money ... nothing more. That is their only responsibility, as that is why they are in business.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
The media overplays stories that evoke the most interest and emotion for the purpose of increasing ratings/hits as it is a very competitive business and tough to keep attention. Another example is the immediate jump to any case that may inflame the 'Do police mistreat blacks' question which gets people highly emotionally charged. They are looking intently for new cases while this issue is hot. Many of these cases would remain local events if they happened before Ferguson/Trayvon Martin.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
The media overplays stories that evoke the most interest and emotion for the purpose of increasing ratings/hits as it is a very competitive business and tough to keep attention. Another example is the immediate jump to any case that may inflame the 'Do police mistreat blacks' question which gets people highly emotionally charged. They are looking intently for new cases while this issue is hot. Many of these cases would remain local events if they happened before Ferguson/Trayvon Martin.
Exactly. Well-put.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The story sells, so they will continue to tell it over various forms of media until it doesn't sell anymore.
I oftentimes wonder just to who? Just about everyone I know or have come across simply can't stand all the worthless crap pumped out out by the media nowadays.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I oftentimes wonder just to who? Just about everyone I know or have come across simply can't stand all the worthless crap pumped out out by the media nowadays.
Why do you think reality TV is so popular ... yet so stupid? Because tons of people are die hard fans ... whether they like to admit it or not.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why do you think reality TV is so popular ... yet so stupid? Because tons of people are die hard fans ... whether they like to admit it or not.

I can only surmise that people simply love a good freakshow.

With rednecks an hillbillies......