• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Abrahamics disagree over so-called prophets and prophesies?

Cooky

Veteran Member
The man who walks onto the motorway has no reason about him, nor care for the drivers. If drivers are forced to halt quickly for him, because he is in the middle of a damn road, then there will be multiple car crashes. If he is run over it is entirely his fault a driver cannot stop in time. Men looking at immodestly clothed women, on the other hand, can walk away from the situation.

The islanders are not like cars though. They're attackers. Much like rapists are.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Someone tried to contact them after having been warned multiple times that it was dangerous and they would not be friendly. He was a fool.

I just can't stand unfriendly people who abuse others physically.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
Is it symptomatic for some type of defect in these religions or is it only a minority of members that seem to enjoy discussing such weighty or trivial things?

Why are dharmic paths much less concerned with this type of questions?

It's just the way it is.

Flankerl

You're right. I used the word 'many', not 'all'. Although every person is an individual with individual beliefs, I still see some use in generalising, as it may indicate some things. This forum is categorised that way. I have no personal relationships with any Jewish people. Rare here.

Then you might want to stop using incorrect terms.

That way no Jew reacts the way I did.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Why isn't it? They're both physically abusing another human being because said human being was negligent.

The degree of negligence is a million times greater in his case. The islanders are defending themselves, while rapists are attacking aggressively.

Cooky

Veteran Member
The degree of negligence is a million times greater in his case. The islanders are defending themselves, while rapists are attacking aggressively.

Defending themselves? Really...? o_O

It was 150 vs. 1. And the 1 guy was unarmed.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Defending themselves? Really...? o_O

It was 150 vs. 1. And the 1 guy was unarmed.

Clearly you haven't read the information presented on other threads. He knew the odds before he went, and was already breaking several laws. I'm sorry he got killed. A much better outcome would have been for him to listen to advice, and realise, in a flash of brains, just how stupid he was about to become. Unfortunately for him, apparently he had poor deductive thinking skills.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Clearly you haven't read the information presented on other threads. He knew the odds before he went, and was already breaking several laws. I'm sorry he got killed. A much better outcome would have been for him to listen to advice, and realise, in a flash of brains, just how stupid he was about to become. Unfortunately for him, apparently he had poor deductive thinking skills.

If you want to know who's stupid, it's the buffoons who run around half naked with no shoes shooting everyone they see on sight.

...Do you really think it's okay to shoot random people? Or are you viewing them as nothing more than primates, living wild on an island just like any other wild animal?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If you want to know who's stupid, it's the buffoons who run around half naked with no shoes shooting everyone they see on sight.

...Do you really think it's okay to shoot random people? Or are you viewing them as nothing more than primates, living wild on an island just like any other wild animal?

I also feel sorry for the 225 000 people who perished in the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. Indian Ocean tsunami of 2004 | Facts & Death Toll Most of these deaths weren't preventable, whereas this one guy's death was easily preventable. None of the Sentinelese died, as far as the authorities know.

Many folks, looking to get back to the land, or go off grid, probably envy the simple lifestyle of natives like the Sentinelese. Too bad we can't go back to that. Far simpler, easier, less stress, good weather, good friends.

This isn's some guy sitting in the trees above some American freeway taking pot shots at cars going by. They lost two people to disease when someone kidnapped them earlier.

But I will be out of this 'debate'. Too silly for me.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it symptomatic for some type of defect in these religions or is it only a minority of members that seem to enjoy discussing such weighty or trivial things?

Prophets and prophecies are an important aspect of Judaism, Christianity, Islam and the Baha'i Faith.

Having sacred writings that are considered authentic, reliable and based on God's teaching through prophets is another core aspect of all four faiths.

What seems nonsense to you may well be meaningful to others.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I am agree with Flankerl. As a Buddhsit my self i accept any other religion as a part of the spiritual life and people who wish to follow other religion then what i chose it is totally fine to me :) But the religion in the Vestern countries are much more often in conflicts because they say their God is the only true God.
You’re aware that there are many different sects of Buddhism, right?

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Many folks, looking to get back to the land, or go off grid, probably envy the simple lifestyle of natives like the Sentinelese. Too bad we can't go back to that. Far simpler, easier, less stress, good weather, good friends.
No thank you. Because I doubt that a hunter gather lifestyle is anywhere near as idyllic as you imagine.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Supersessionism is a completely standard Christian doctrine that simply means that Christians are now Israel.

You might want to learn a thing or two about your own Religion.

Every single thread of Isaiah disagrees.

Wrong.
Muslims believe that Jews and Christians have gone astray aka falsified their holy books.
Not even in the modern age but at least 1400 years ago. So any rendition of Judaism or Christianity is wrong unless it is based on the Quran.
Muslims also believe that all Jews and Christians were Muslims in the beginning until they went against the will of Allah.

Wrong. Modern day as in subsequent to the advent of Islam. Modern post-Judaic events that has happened, as in modern as in the alleged vocal translations that has been faltered of Jewish and Christian traditions. Not modern as in 2018. Shall I school you some more?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

IMO it is very much a defect of those religions, although the means for dealing with that defect to some degree do exist and are often employed.

However, the defect is not nearly so much in the disagreement as in the self-inflicted need to treat it as a problem to be resolved.

Dharmics deal much better with it because we acknowledge that such matters are very personal in nature and can't rationally be solved as if they were an engineering challenge.

Because Abrahamics are not a real group.
It's a term to group different Religions together because of Supersessionism.

Jews just wanted to be Jews.
Christians wanted to be the real Jews.
Muslims wanted to be the real Jews and Christians.
Mormons wanted to be the real Jews and Christians.
etc.

Just because Group X claims that it is descended from Group Y doesn't mean that it's true.

Dharmic Religions don't have this problem because for example Hinduism never had to deal with a Religion like Christianity or Islam that wanted to take over the Religion that came before them while claiming to be exactly like that Religion, only better.

And so strange. There is really no such thing as a 'Jew' in 'Israel' as there is no real such thing as 'Israeli'.

For the non Hebrew speaking persons, these exist, but for the Hebrew speaking persons, themselves, they really, kind-of, don't.

As far as 'Christians' are concerned, it's strange how a name given to the believers in Antioch in the days of The Apostle Paul, has made its way around the 'World'.

Christianos
Phonetic Spelling: (khris-tee-an-os')

Now the Mormons. Well... They had to go through so much hardships in the U.S living within and among the 'free lovers' that they actually packed caravan loads to leave New York to Ohio. Maybe the 'free lovers' movement in the U.S was a reason why Mr. Smith condoned 'plural' marriages..

Remember, the Mormon 'Church' began in the 1820's, the 'era' of the Second 'Great' Awakening in the U.S.

Great Awakening

First (c. 1730–1755)
Second (c. 1790–1840)
Third (c. 1855–1930)
Fourth (c. 1960–1980)

Prior to any of these Awakenings, the U.S was Episcopalian.

Not quite Church of England, not quite Protestant, not quite Catholic. But more-so a 'combination' of all 3 in sorts.

A little Church of England with 'The Book of Common Prayer', a little Protestant with 'Sunday' gathering, and a little Catholic with 'altars'.

But that was soon to change. With the beginnings of 'immigration' into the U.S, the taxes and support between Church and Government 'stopped' due to 'denominational' competition. Hence, the Establishment Clause.

'It was a peaceful time then. Ah.. Those years.'

-----

---

1583 - Humphrey Gilbert claims Newfoundland on behalf of England's queen Elizabeth

1585 - Roanoke Island, off the coast of North Carolina, is settled by the first English colonists in America – with disastrous results

1600 - Britain's East India Company is established when Elizabeth I grants a charter to a 'Company of Merchants trading into the East Indies'

1839 The British seize the strategic port of Aden and administer it as a province annexed to India

A British army invades Afghanistan and installs a puppet ruler, Shuja Shah, as the Afghan amir

British troops invade China after the Chinese authorities seize and destroy the opium stocks of British merchants in Canton

British empire: 1583 - 1997 - Oxford Reference

Early in the 18th century the Portuguese found that they could import opium from India and sell it in China at a considerable profit. By 1773 the British had discovered the trade, and that year they became the leading suppliers of the Chinese market. The British East India Company established a monopoly on opium cultivation in the Indian province of Bengal, where they developed a method of growing opium poppies cheaply and abundantly. Other Western countries also joined in the trade, including the United States, which dealt in Turkish as well as Indian opium.

opium trade | History & Facts

Opium and other narcotic drugs played an important part in Victorian life. Shocking though it might be to us in the 21st century, in Victorian times it was possible to walk into a chemist and buy, without prescription, laudanum, cocaine and even arsenic. Opium preparations were sold freely in towns and country markets, indeed the consumption of opium was just as popular in the country as it was in urban areas.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Opium-in-Victorian-Britain/

Thomas de Quincey's Confessions of an English Opium-Eater (1822), one of the first and most famous literary accounts of opium addiction written from the point of view of an addict, details the pleasures and dangers of the drug. In the book, it is not Ottoman, nor Chinese, addicts about whom he writes, but English opium users: "I question whether any Turk, of all that ever entered the paradise of opium-eaters, can have had half the pleasure I had."[42] De Quincey writes about the great English Romantic poet, Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772–1834), whose "Kubla Khan" is also widely considered to be a poem of the opium experience. Coleridge began using opium in 1791 after developing jaundice and rheumatic fever, and became a full addict after a severe attack of the disease in 1801, requiring 80–100 drops of laudanum daily

During his lifetime, Paracelsus was viewed as an adventurer who challenged the theories and mercenary motives of contemporary medicine with dangerous chemical therapies, but his therapies marked a turning point in Western medicine. In the 1660s, laudanum was recommended for pain, sleeplessness, and diarrhea by Thomas Sydenham,[33] the renowned "father of English medicine" or "English Hippocrates", to whom is attributed the quote, "Among the remedies which it has pleased Almighty God to give to man to relieve his sufferings, none is so universal and so efficacious as opium."

Opium - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Flankerl

Wrong. Modern day as in subsequent to the advent of Islam. Modern post-Judaic events that has happened, as in modern as in the alleged vocal translations that has been faltered of Jewish and Christian traditions. Not modern as in 2018. Shall I school you some more?

Sorry honey but you aren't schooling anyone, let alone me.

I wrote that Mohammed taught that Jews had falsified their holy books. This was ~1400 years ago.

I know you don't like me but you can't bend facts to suit your needs.
I also wrote nothing of 2018 or the like.