• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Abrahamics disagree over so-called prophets and prophesies?

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Is it symptomatic for some type of defect in these religions or is it only a minority of members that seem to enjoy discussing such weighty or trivial things?

Why are dharmic paths much less concerned with this type of questions?

Flankerl

Because Abrahamics are not a real group.
It's a term to group different Religions together because of Supersessionism.

Jews just wanted to be Jews.
Christians wanted to be the real Jews.
Muslims wanted to be the real Jews and Christians.
Mormons wanted to be the real Jews and Christians.
etc.

Just because Group X claims that it is descended from Group Y doesn't mean that it's true.

Dharmic Religions don't have this problem because for example Hinduism never had to deal with a Religion like Christianity or Islam that wanted to take over the Religion that came before them while claiming to be exactly like that Religion, only better.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

:facepalm:

No...
We don't want to be Jews. Our Lord was Jewish...but we are Christians. In fact Greeks, Romans, Germanic tribes didn't want to be Jews but Christians

btw...we don't disagree with prophecies...we just interpret the Bible differently

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am agree with Flankerl. As a Buddhsit my self i accept any other religion as a part of the spiritual life and people who wish to follow other religion then what i chose it is totally fine to me :) But the religion in the Vestern countries are much more often in conflicts because they say their God is the only true God.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Its politics, mainly. Fortunately most of those you have in the Abrahamic group are not necessarily political in nature. Whenever the politicians get involved it seems that they must find ways of dividing people, and one of the ways they have found is to announce a divergence in prophecy and to demand changes.

I am agree with Flankerl. As a Buddhsit my self i accept any other religion as a part of the spiritual life and people who wish to follow other religion then what i chose it is totally fine to me :) But the religion in the Vestern countries are much more often in conflicts because they say their God is the only true God.
Buddhists have not escaped political differences. They also have not escaped quarrels over various schools of thought. Is not the term 'Theravada' originally intended as an insult? That's what I read somewhere.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes there is often huge disccusions about the origin and the difference within Buddhism too. Buddhism as we know it today contain 10 different branches, but only a few of them are based on the teaching of the historical Buddha Sakyamuni.
Personally i do not understand the big discussion because the Cultivation of inner wisdom does not say we must agree or disagree with other people to be better or different.

Living a spiritual life is a personal journey and we do not need to say to others, you are wrong just because we think different.

What is a good way to study the scripture is to come together a group of belivers and then, study the texts (Suttas) and as one self, what does it mean. how can I gain wisdom from it, instead Theravada Buddhists like my self telling a Zen Buddhist or a Mahayana Buddhist they are wrong, What is importent is to actually understanding the teaching one self. not to tell others what they should or not should believe

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Because Abrahamics are not a real group.
It's a term to group different Religions together because of Supersessionism.

Jews just wanted to be Jews.
Muslims wanted to be the real Jews and Christians.
Mormons wanted to be the real Jews and Christians.
etc.

Just because Group X claims that it is descended from Group Y doesn't mean that it's true.

Dharmic Religions don't have this problem because for example Hinduism never had to deal with a Religion like Christianity or Islam that wanted to take over the Religion that came before them while claiming to be exactly like that Religion, only better.

Muslims don’t want to be Jews or Christians. Muslims think Jews and Christians at least in modern day are wrong.

Marcion

Ok, it is a type of religious politics but what is the driving force in
Muslims don’t want to be Jews or Christians. Muslims think Jews and Christians at least in modern day are wrong.
I think that Muslims think that the "people of the Book" are also a kind of Muslims but they lack some teachings and practices to be better Muslims?

In that sense Muslims remind me of Tantrics.

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Ok, it is a type of religious politics but what is the diving force in

I think that Muslims think that the "people of the Book" are also a kind of Muslims but they lack some teachings and practices to be better Muslims?

In that sense Muslims remind me of Tantrics.

I think you misunderstood what I said. According to Islam Christians forgot the God of Abraham by making him trinitarian. Jews forgot the original message or may have said something That abrogated the truth even though it was written. Regardless, Jews and Christians according to Islam are wrong.

Flankerl

We don't want to be Jews. Our Lord was Jewish...but we are Christians. In fact Greeks, Romans, Germanic tribes didn't want to be Jews but Christians

Supersessionism is a completely standard Christian doctrine that simply means that Christians are now Israel.

You might want to learn a thing or two about your own Religion.

btw...we don't disagree with prophecies...

Every single thread of Isaiah disagrees.

Wrong.
Muslims believe that Jews and Christians have gone astray aka falsified their holy books.
Not even in the modern age but at least 1400 years ago. So any rendition of Judaism or Christianity is wrong unless it is based on the Quran.
Muslims also believe that all Jews and Christians were Muslims in the beginning until they went against the will of Allah.

Cooky

Veteran Member
As a Catholic, I feel as though I have no ties with Islam, therefore "abrahamic religions" is irrelevant to me. There is only Judaism and Christianity. Islam is an entirely foreign religion.

The term "Abrahamic religions" should be replaced by just "religions". Also, it purposely excludes Zoroastrianism, which has ties to Judaism.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
it purposely excludes Zoroastrianism, which has ties to Judaism.
As a former Zoroastrian, I tell you this is false. The two are completely separate faiths and almost every Zoroastrian I've met would not want to be included in this category.

Marcion

As a Catholic, I feel as though I have no ties with Islam, therefore "abrahamic religions" is irrelevant to me. There is only Judaism and Christianity. Islam is an entirely foreign religion.

The term "Abrahamic religions" should be replaced by just "religions". Also, it purposely excludes Zoroastrianism, which has ties to Judaism.
I only called them Abrahamic religions because the Dharmic paths are also called religions on this forum.
I think modern scholars see only Judaism and Islam as truely Abrahamic, Christianity being more of a Hellenistic religion (and connected to I think Neo-Platonism).

But the big connection seems to be their ideas about so-called prophets and the idea that their religions were miraculously revealed by divine authority.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Supersessionism is a completely standard Christian doctrine that simply means that Christians are now Israel.

You might want to learn a thing or two about your own Religion.

Source, please?
We are not Israel....we are not Jews ...otherwise we would do many things like circumcising our babies (to begin with) and yet we don't.

You have completely misunderstood Christianity. Christianity is the religion of love that transcends nations.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Source, please?
We are not Israel....we are not Jews ...otherwise we would do many things like circumcising our babies (to begin with) and yet we don't.

You have completely misunderstood Christianity. Christianity is the religion of love that transcends nations.
Standard Replacement Theology posits that Christians are the new spiritual Israel. I actually didn't learn that until after I left Christianity, but it is made pretty clear in places.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I only called them Abrahamic religions because the Dharmic paths are also called religions on this forum.
I think modern scholars see only Judaism and Islam as truely Abrahamic, Christianity being more of a Hellenistic religion (and connected to I think Neo-Platonism).

But the big connection seems to be their ideas about so-called prophets and the idea that their religions were miraculously revealed by divine authority.

Why the tendency exists to categorize at all seems odd to me.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Standard Replacement Theology posits that Christians are the new spiritual Israel. I actually didn't learn that until after I left Christianity, but it is made pretty clear in places.
May I have a definition of "new Israel"?
I was raised Catholic...I've never heard of it

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
May I have a definition of "new Israel"?
I was raised Catholic...I've never heard of it
The Catechism, 877:

877 Likewise, it belongs to the sacramental nature of ecclesial ministry that it have a collegial character. In fact, from the beginning of his ministry, the Lord Jesus instituted the Twelve as "the seeds of the new Israel and the beginning of the sacred hierarchy.

Catechism of the Catholic Church - Christ's Faithful - Hierarchy, Laity, Consecrated Life

"On the flipside, the Jews who rejected Jesus were cut off from their own family tree (Romans 11:17-24). As a result, we can see that the Church doesn’t simply replace Israel; rather, in a very real sense, the Church is Israel. It is the multi-ethnic and multi-national family made up of both Jews and Gentiles that the Old Testament prophets always said Israel would one day become."

https://catholicexchange.com/church-new-israel

How it is defined exactly I do not know.

Cooky

Veteran Member
It seems backwards to throw a bunch of religions in a barrel together, and then ask why they don't see this and that the same.

...I am not an "Abrahamic".