• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why did the world reject the Messiah when He Did come?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I want to know what you think. Is Mithra Christ also?

I have no opinion on Mithra, I have never looked into it.

Christ tell us how to look for the fruits of the Spirit, thus it again comes back to your choice.

Edit: A quick look, my answer is no.

What is important is this age, is why have we rejected the Messiah?

Regards Tony

sooda

Veteran Member
You're wrong. That's poor scholarship to claim that.

Daniel was not a person and never was in Babylon.. Daniel was written by a committee of Jews during the time of the Maccabees and the Greek ruler Antiochus IV Epiphanes. around 167 BC.

Antiochus was the original Abomination of Desolation when he defiled the Temple. You know this history, don't you?

Antiochus IV Epiphanes was the eighth in a succession of twenty-six kings who ruled from 175—164 BC over the Syrian section of Alexander’s empire.

He is referred to as the “little horn” in Daniel 8:9. The name Epiphanes means the “Illustrious One,” although his contemporaries nicknamed him Epimanes, meaning “madman.”1

He differs in many respects with the “little horn” of Daniel Chapter seven seeing that “the little horn of 7:8 appears in the context of the fourth kingdom (Rome), while the little horn of 8:9 appears in the context of the third kingdom (Greece).”2 Yet taken as a whole Antiochus IV Epiphanes is undoubtedly one of the greatest prototypes of the Antichrist in all of God’s Word.

Spartan

I have no opinion on Mithra, I have never looked into it.

Christ tell us how to look for the fruits of the Spirit, thus it again comes back to your choice.

Edit: A quick look, my answer is no.

What is important is this age, is why have we rejected the Messiah?

Regards Tony

Why Israel Missed its Messiah

From my studies over the decades, there are only two places I know of in the Old Testament that predict / prophesy when the Messiah will appear in history. The first of these is documented in a separate article on my website written by Chuck Missler (From his Book “The Creator Beyond Time and Space”)

Until Shiloh Comes

The prophecy, generally stated, is this, from Genesis chapter 49:

“The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh comes; and to him shall be the obedience of the people.” Genesis 49:10 (NKJ)

This strange prophecy has a few words that need to be defined in order to be fully understood. The word “scepter” has been understood by the Rabbis to mean the “tribal staff” or “tribal identity” of the twelve tribes of Israel. This “tribal identity” was linked, in the minds of the Jews, to their right to apply and enforce Mosaic law upon the people, including the right to adjudicate capital cases and administer capital punishment, or jus gladii (The jus gladii is a legal term which refers to the legal authority to adjudicate capital cases and impose capital punishment.)

Secondly, it is well documented that the word “Shiloh” has been understood for millennia to be an idiom for the Messiah. Therefore, according to this prophecy, the tribal identity or scepter of the tribe of Judah would not cease until the Messiah came. The article goes on to conclude that the time called for the Messiah to appear is the first century – when Jesus did appear.

The second place in scripture that indicates when the Messiah would appear is Daniel chapter 9, verses 24-27. And again, the time it indicates for the appearance of the Messiah is the first century – in 32 AD. Exactly when Jesus rode into Jerusalem as the Jewish Messiah. Here is the background on that prophecy:

DANIEL'S 70 WEEKS PROPHECY

Both prophecies about the time of the appearance of the Messiah predict the 1st century - the time of Jesus. No other religion has this prophetic signature.

JJ50

From my studies over the decades, there are only two places I know of in the Old Testament that predict / prophesy when the Messiah will appear in history. The first of these is documented in a separate article on my website written by Chuck Missler (From his Book “The Creator Beyond Time and Space”)

Until Shiloh Comes

“The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh comes; and to him shall be the obedience of the people.” Genesis 49:10 (NKJ)

This strange prophecy has a few words that need to be defined in order to be fully understood. The word “scepter” has been understood by the Rabbis to mean the “tribal staff” or “tribal identity” of the twelve tribes of Israel. This “tribal identity” was linked, in the minds of the Jews, to their right to apply and enforce Mosaic law upon the people, including the right to adjudicate capital cases and administer capital punishment, or jus gladii (The jus gladii is a legal term which refers to the legal authority to adjudicate capital cases and impose capital punishment.)

Secondly, it is well documented that the word “Shiloh” has been understood for millennia to be an idiom for the Messiah. Therefore, according to this prophecy, the tribal identity or scepter of the tribe of Judah would not cease until the Messiah came. The article goes on to conclude that the time called for the Messiah to appear is the first century – when Jesus did appear.

The second place in scripture that indicates when the Messiah would appear is Daniel chapter 9, verses 24-27. And again, the time it indicates for the appearance of the Messiah is the first century – in 32 AD. Exactly when Jesus rode into Jerusalem as the Jewish Messiah. Here is the background on that prophecy:

Both prophecies about the time of the appearance of the Messiah predict the 1st century - the time of Jesus. No other religion has this prophetic signature.
In your opinion.:rolleyes:

sooda

Veteran Member

Until Shiloh Comes

Daniel is talking about Antiochus .. Little Horn.

Shiloh was a town that served as the capital before Jerusalem.

Shiloh, a place of rest, a city of Ephraim, "on the north side of Bethel," from which it is distant 10 miles ( Judges 21:19 ); the modern Seilun (the Arabic for Shiloh), a "mass of shapeless ruins."

Here the tabernacle was set up after the Conquest ( Joshua 18:1-10 ), where it remained during all the period of the judges till the ark fell into the hands of the Philistines.

"No spot in Central Palestine could be more secluded than this early sanctuary, nothing more featureless than the landscape around; so featureless, indeed, the landscape and so secluded the spot that from the time of St. Jerome till its re-discovery by Dr. Robinson in 1838 the very site was forgotten and unknown." It is referred to by ( Jeremiah 7:12 Jeremiah 7:14 ; 26:4-9 ) five hundred years after its destruction.

Shiloh does refer to the Messiah.. the messiah not Jesus..

Judah Maccabee (or Judas Maccabeus, also spelled Machabeus, or Maccabaeus, Hebrew: יהודה המכבי, Yehudah ha-Makabi) was a Jewish priest (kohen) and a son of the priest Mattathias. He led the Maccabean Revolt against the Seleucid Empire (167–160 BCE).

A rebel fighter who turned out to be a military genius, Judah took over leadership of the rebellion upon his father’s death, overthrowing the Syrian Greek army and restoring the Temple in Jerusalem.

Many considered him the Messiah because he freed the Jews from foreign domination and many of the events in his life paralleled the prophecies in Daniel chapter eight.

firedragon

Veteran Member
One must look into biblical prophecy to make such an observation. It is not a matter of convenience.

The day for a year principal was used by Biblical Scholars well before the Bab and Baha'u'llah gave their Messages as you can research at this link; Day-year principle - Wikipedia It was first used in Christian exposition in 380 AD by Ticonius.

There is no stronger prophecy for any Messenger in any other Holy Books than this prophecy. With this timeline, we also prove Muhammad was foretold in the Old and New Testaments.

Regards Tony

Well, that's your belief.

firedragon

Veteran Member
This prophecy records the entire dispensation of Muhammad and records the year when all things would be made new. The Message of the Bab closed the age of Muhammed in the year 1260, thus fulfilling those specific prophecies.

The Message of Muhammad found life again in the Message of Baha'u'llah.

The rejection of Muhammad was for the entire dispensation that closed in the year 1260, the Covenant was broken and Ali was rejected as the rightfully appointed successor.

Daniel comes to 1260 via the edict to rebuild the temple of 457BC and the 2300 years before the sanctuary was again cleansed. 2300-457+1 (as no year 0) = AD1844, or AH1260.

Regards Tony

Do you believe all mentions of "Himera" means year?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Until Shiloh Comes

There is much written on this subject now, thus many books cover the answers to these quandaries. As you have spent a great deal of your life researching these events, the hour or so it will take to read the following explanations, I see it will be time well spent.

The Seventy and Sixty Nine week prophecies do show Christ and the starting time was the edict of BC457. This is that explanation given by Abdul'Bhaha - Some Answered Questions | Bahá’í Reference Library - Rational Proofs and Traditional Arguments from the Sacred Scriptures

This opens the door to alternate understandings of biblical prophecy and using the same Rebuild date of BC457 for the 2nd coming, with the 2300 year prophecy about the sanctuary being cleansed, also predict the Message of the Bab in the year AD1844, which was the close of the Muslim Faith in AH1260. (Day and hour not known)

We can then find that the Revelations of Muhammad, the Bab and Baha'u'llah are foretold in many places.

Abdul'Baha has given the most detailed explanation given by any Faith to prove all this prophecy;

Some Answered Questions | Bahá’í Reference Library - Commentary on the Eleventh Chapter of the Revelation of John

Some Answered Questions | Bahá’í Reference Library - Commentary on the Eleventh Chapter of Isaiah

Some Answered Questions | Bahá’í Reference Library - Commentary on the Twelfth Chapter of the Revelation of John

It is entirely your choice to pursue these explanations.

Regards Tony

firedragon

Veteran Member
Yes that is so and It proved that my Faith is not built upon a matter of convenience, as you suggested.

Regards Tony

No one would believe that "Faith is built upon a matter of convenience" as you said. Dont take these things so personally. Alright, lets discuss this.

I asked you a question. Does all mentions of Day or Himera as in revelations mean a year?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes that is so and It proved that my Faith is not built upon a matter of convenience, as you suggested.

Regards Tony
I have not been following this conversation very closely, but I just wanted to mention that the year 1844 is not just a Baha'i belief. Christian scholars of the 19th century were also expecting the return of Christ in that year, so apparently they did the same math; but when the physical body of Jesus did not come down out of the clouds with trumpets and angels, they took their ascension robes and went home.

THIS is actual history that can me verified, as it was in newspapers of the time.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No one would believe that "Faith is built upon a matter of convenience" as you said. Dont take these things so personally. Alright, lets discuss this.

I asked you a question. Does all mentions of Day or Himera as in revelations mean a year?

Firstly I am but a person in life, very limited in knowledge. From my studies so far, No, a day could be a day, it could be a year, it could be a thousand years. In prophecy it seems to represent mainly a year.

Also we have to consider that a Biblical year is only 360 days.

I see all Numbers in Scripture have deep and hidden meanings that are inexhaustible in range. 40 is an example which shows up in many Biblical stories and events and in this age it was 40 years that Baha'u'llah received and gave divine Revelation.

But this is far beyond my knowledge, as each word in scripture can have multiple meanings, each passage 70 meanings. I see Gods Messages contains understanding for each person to extract.

Regards Tony

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I have not been following this conversation very closely, but I just wanted to mention that the year 1844 is not just a Baha'i belief. Christian scholars of the 19th century were also expecting the return of Christ in that year, so apparently they did the same math; but when the physical body of Jesus did not come down out of the clouds with trumpets and angels, they took their ascension robes and went home.

THIS is actual history that can me verified, as it was in newspapers of the time.
And it was a notorious year in Christianity precisely for the reason that Jesus did NOT return. It is referred to as the "Great Disappointment."

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Dont take these things so personally.

That is a just comment as my reply did come through personally, sorry I do not see it that way and mean to post it that way, I am still learning to take reference to I out of life :) If I had proof read it, I would have changed the reply.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Thanks trailblazer, that is the point that was being made, that it was not a convenient interpretation used only by Baha'i to prove the Baha'i Faith, that the method was well used prior to the Messages of the Bab and Baha'u'llah.

Regards Tony