• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Can't You Just Be Nice?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You're too late. I'm already leaving staff. I'm just waiting for somebody to flip the switch to turn off the blue nameplate. As of today I'm not even actively moderating. I don't know maybe I'll do a couple of things, but I'm a lame duck mod at this moment.

Is there a vacancy - me, me, me please (very low warning count). :D

Audie

Veteran Member
In the heat of debate, why do some of you feel the need to behave like a jerk or be disrespectful to get your point across?

I've been in heated debates, while I occasionally resort to sarcasm or snark either to get my point across or to inject humor, I do my best to maintain a level of respect for the person with which I'm engaged.

I wonder why others here struggle to do the same. Would you walk up to someone on the street and speak with someone the way you do here? I'm sure some of you would have your bell rung for the lack of respect you display here if you displayed such in real life.

Is it because you have a degree of anonymity here?

Does behaving like a jerk to others somehow make you feel better about yourself?

"Because I am not not a nice person" was my first thought.
Then I thought, start by eliminating snark, and then
try other improvements.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You're too late. I'm already leaving staff. I'm just waiting for somebody to flip the switch to turn off the blue nameplate. As of today I'm not even actively moderating. I don't know maybe I'll do a couple of things, but I'm a lame duck mod at this moment.
Well, that seems unfortunate.
For everyone except you.

How long do you think I'll last after you've gone?
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Milton Platt

In the heat of debate, why do some of you feel the need to behave like a jerk or be disrespectful to get your point across?

I've been in heated debates, while I occasionally resort to sarcasm or snark either to get my point across or to inject humor, I do my best to maintain a level of respect for the person with which I'm engaged.

I wonder why others here struggle to do the same. Would you walk up to someone on the street and speak with someone the way you do here? I'm sure some of you would have your bell rung for the lack of respect you display here if you displayed such in real life.

Is it because you have a degree of anonymity here?

Does behaving like a jerk to others somehow make you feel better about yourself?

I think patience wears thin and many who normally would be quite pleasant get more than a little flippant or demeaning. It is very tiring to be asked for evidence of something and then have the evidence ignored. Willful ignorance is hard to take. Not that this a good reason. I have often simply ceased to have the conversation when it becomes apparent that the person who asked for a source has not bothered to read the source,

Last edited:

gnomon

Some people get annoyed at being mistaken for a man.
But not me.
Tom

Because a strong woman knows how to represent!

You go girl!

Was that snark?

All apologies, not really, but couldn't help myself.

Take that and....

When you are chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best
And.....

And always look on the bright side of life

Ya'll know the rest.