• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you a social progressive?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
In 12 years, I hear.
Ha ha
About 18 years ago I was floating around on a sailboat on a hot summer afternoon.
The guy whose boat it was kept telling me how the world was gonna end in eleven years!

So, I tossed an empty beer can overboard. He practically screamed in outrage. I pointed out that the lake is pretty deep. No way could it fill up with empty cans in eleven years, so what's the problem?

He didn't find that funny, so I had to swim after the stupid beer can.
Tom

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
I am partially a social progressive, but I don't think social progress necessarily depends upon scientific progress. I don't view all technological progress as always beneficial to social progress. I don't view social progress as an inevitable human characteristic. I am dispossessed of the belief that technology identifies which cultures are advanced. I see progress as utilitarian -- overall happiness to the random person and opportunity for the random person, especially choice for the random person.

From my standpoint, a country where you choose your occupation is more socially progressive than a country where people cannot choose their occupations; but its not more socially progressive than a country with fewer automobiles. Its better than a place where the government tells you what you will do. On the other hand suppose the USA enters a period of starvation in which its rare that a person can expect to live. Then in terms of random happiness and utility it has gone backwards. Social progress includes opportunity Technology improves opportunity and choice, so it is hard to disentangle from social progress but is not the same thing.

PureX

Veteran Member
I know there aren’t that many here but for the few can you give an explanation why you consider yourself a social progressive?
I am a social progressive because I believe that we humans can and should do much better for ourselves and each other than we are currently doing. I believe we could arrange our society to be far more equitable, just, secure, free, compassionate, and supportive than it is. And these should be our guiding goals.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Then I'm an anti-social progressive.
I read that as anti social-progressive.

I googled it cause I didn't know what it was. After about 3 pages of wiktionary and other sites explaining what it is, I'm still confused. So maybe I'm a social-confused. One site said it was all about reform, but here in Canuckistan, the Reform party was not about reform at all, unless you wanted to be back in time to 100 years ago.

So I'll just stick with being a commy. It's easier. Americans all know what that is anyhow.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
So I'll just stick with being a commy. It's easier. Americans all know what that is anyhow
No, they really don't know what communism is...all they know is that it's a label that stands for something bad...most communists I've known didn't really know, either...and most that I know who are against communism don't really know, too...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No, they really don't know what communism is...all they know is that it's a label that stands for something bad...most communists I've known didn't really know, either...and most that I know who are against communism don't really know, too...

Everybody knows communism is bad.

This reminds me of a day in about grade 7 on the school bus when some kid used the word 'prostitute' and everyone laughed. So the kid who used it confronted one of the kids who laughed saying, 'You don't even know what a prostitute is!" So after a few more 'You're the stupid one!' kind of exchanges, the one who thought he knew said "it's a person who doesn't believe in God".
So the other kid corrected him, No, stupid. It's a communist."

That night I went home and looked up a few words in the dictionary.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I know there aren’t that many here but for the few can you give an explanation why you consider yourself a social progressive?

I try to not get stuck on labels so much. I may be on the periphery of progressivism, since I agree with a good portion of it. Of course, it depends on how one defines it, since "progressive" has been applied in different ways.

It probably goes back to when I was growing up, back when "social justice" was the in thing when people were pushing for more equality, fighting poverty, taking better care of the environment, and overall, trying to find better and less harmful ways of living in this world. At least, that's how I saw it as a kid.

I still believe in a lot of the same things, although over the years, I guess I became less and less enamored with the ways and means of politics and the system of government we have.

Jeremiah Ames

Umm, progressive seems positive, vs. regressive, which is clinging to outdated ways and beliefs.

Don’t we all want to move in a positive direction?

Sadly, we don’t. But that’s OK. I heard there’s a political party that will welcome those people.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Who could resist ??

progressive.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I read that as anti social-progressive.

I googled it cause I didn't know what it was. After about 3 pages of wiktionary and other sites explaining what it is, I'm still confused. So maybe I'm a social-confused. One site said it was all about reform, but here in Canuckistan, the Reform party was not about reform at all, unless you wanted to be back in time to 100 years ago.

So I'll just stick with being a commy. It's easier. Americans all know what that is anyhow.
That dash between "anti" & "social" is critical there.