• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you a social progressive?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Do you think that I am one?
Why, or why not?
Tom

ETA ~I am curious about anybody's opinion on my question. Not just EBM. I have posted a great deal on this forum, my opinions and world view aren't any secret. Whaddaya think?~

I don't care what you are though. It is a question my opinion whether you are or not does not matter.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
What is a social progressive?

Anyone that believes in humanity and humanities inalienable rights (this is to condense everything in a nutshell).

But if you want the Google definition it is:

"Social progressivism is the ideology that seeks to resolve injustices through active reform, and is willing to uproot traditions that span generations in order to do so."

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I try to not get stuck on labels so much. I may be on the periphery of progressivism, since I agree with a good portion of it. Of course, it depends on how one defines it, since "progressive" has been applied in different ways.

It probably goes back to when I was growing up, back when "social justice" was the in thing when people were pushing for more equality, fighting poverty, taking better care of the environment, and overall, trying to find better and less harmful ways of living in this world. At least, that's how I saw it as a kid.

I still believe in a lot of the same things, although over the years, I guess I became less and less enamored with the ways and means of politics and the system of government we have.

I can respect that. That Arizona sun does get to the brain sometimes. =)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Anyone that believes in humanity and humanities inalienable rights (this is to condense everything in a nutshell).

But if you want the Google definition it is:

"Social progressivism is the ideology that seeks to resolve injustices through active reform, and is willing to uproot traditions that span generations in order to do so."

So it would depend on what is determined to be a social injustice? Seems rather subjective, no?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
So it would depend on what is determined to be a social injustice? Seems rather subjective, no?

I don't know let's see: racism for example how the early abolitionists were socially progressive. They believed Africans as human beings that needed to be freed from the bondage of slavery due to the conditions that they (Africans) were in.

Another example would be giving women the right to vote, something men in this country have enjoyed for centuries.

Another would be not to kill another human for their sexual orientation.

Another would be to respect another individual's right to believe as they wish.

If you don't believe in these things maybe you're socially conservative.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't know let's see: racism for example how the early abolitionists were socially progressive. They sought Africans as human beings that needed to be freed from the bondage of slavery due to the conditions that they (Africans) were in.

Another example would be giving women the right to vote, something men in this country have enjoyed for centuries.

Another would be not to kill another human for their sexual orientation.

Another would be to respect another individual's right to believe as they wish.

If you don't believe in these things maybe you're socially conservative.

By those examples, I'm an extreme social progressive. It's just that I see some folks claiming to be socially progressive when they're not. Some right wing Christian groups (and others) do claim they are doing what is best for society.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
By those examples, I'm an extreme social progressive. It's just that I see some folks claiming to be socially progressive when they're not. Some right wing Christian groups (and others) do claim they are doing what is best for society.

Yes but if its at the expense of hindering individual freedom and their unalienable rights its not considered social progressivism. If a Christian believes in "Gay Therapy" for example it's not social progressivism, but it's designating homosexuality as maladaptive and in need of therapeutic treatment which is something we progressives do not believe in.