• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you a social progressive?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I know there aren’t that many here but for the few can you give an explanation why you consider yourself a social progressive?

Jumi

I think beneath our skins, sexual preferences and so on, we're all the same. I'd rather see humanity rise above these most trivial things, but I see many folks believe that those trivial things are important and want some kind of government control on what people should be able to be comfortably.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Tis all a matter of where we're to progress, eh.

Progressivism is the support for or advocacy of improvement of society by reform. As a philosophy, it is based on the idea of progress, which asserts that advancements in science, technology, economic development and social organization are vital to the improvement of the human condition.

The meanings of progressivism have varied over time and from different perspectives. Progressivism became highly significant during the Age of Enlightenment in Europe, out of the belief that Europe was demonstrating that societies could progress in civility from uncivilized conditions to civilization through strengthening the basis of empirical knowledge as the foundation of society. Figures of the Enlightenment believed that progress had universal application to all societies and that these ideas would spread across the world from Europe.
Progressivism - Wikipedia

Not sure why someone would be against this.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I know there aren’t that many here but for the few can you give an explanation why you consider yourself a social progressive?

I am a Scandinavian conservative.

However, that is probably equivalent to an American liberal with anarchist tendencies.

Ciao

- viole

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Progressivism is the support for or advocacy of improvement of society by reform. As a philosophy, it is based on the idea of progress, which asserts that advancements in science, technology, economic development and social organization are vital to the improvement of the human condition.

The meanings of progressivism have varied over time and from different perspectives. Progressivism became highly significant during the Age of Enlightenment in Europe, out of the belief that Europe was demonstrating that societies could progress in civility from uncivilized conditions to civilization through strengthening the basis of empirical knowledge as the foundation of society. Figures of the Enlightenment believed that progress had universal application to all societies and that these ideas would spread across the world from Europe.
Progressivism - Wikipedia

Not sure why someone would be against this.
"Progressive" tends to be associated with gay marriage, free speech, religious
diversity, & other such things which some see as making God (or Allah) cry.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Do you think that I am one?
Why, or why not?
Tom

ETA ~I am curious about anybody's opinion on my question. Not just EBM. I have posted a great deal on this forum, my opinions and world view aren't any secret. Whaddaya think?~

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
"Progressive" tends to be associated with gay marriage, free speech, religious
diversity, & other such things which some see as making God (or Allah) cry.

Personally, I don't have a problem with any of this either.

Religious diversity means allowing others to follow their personal beliefs? Which I'm also fine with as long as they accept their personal beliefs have nothing to do with me.

Kind of disappointed with United Methodist taking a hard stance on Gay Marriage and Priests though.

My Grandmother's church was United Methodist and they had a Lesbian Minister. I suppose the leadership has changed since.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Personally, I don't have a problem with any of this either.

Religious diversity means allowing others to follow their personal beliefs? Which I'm also fine with as long as they accept their personal beliefs have nothing to do with me.

Kind of disappointed with United Methodist taking a hard stance on Gay Marriage and Priests though.

My Grandmother's church was United Methodist and they had a Lesbian Minister. I suppose the leadership has changed since.
I support Methodists not marrying others of the same sex.