• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Republicans more likely to complain against entertainment violence?

Why are Republicans more likely to complain about entertainment violence?

They say video games and movies are a tool of Satan!

CmdrShepN7Spectre's Library

If they turned on the TV and on the TV they were watching a documentary that showed a humanity 200 years in the future that has united under freedom and democracy, achieved interstellar travel, and became an important part of an intergalactic community was being shown how would they feel? There would be epic space battles and PG-13 level violence with soldiers in advanced powered armor. The documentary would interview the soldiers, spaceship captains, politicians, citizens, and aliens like in Axanar. Would they be horrified and offended? In this spectacular vision of the future first contact with an alien species ended with a war. This war was a huge mistake on their part and our first interstellar enemy ends up becoming one of humanity's greatest allies. Humanity is granted a seat in the intergalactic equivalent of the UN. In 20 years we are the 3rd most powerful interstellar civilization in the galaxy. 30 years after the first contact war the most advanced military spaceship built is an act of intergalactic cooperation between humanity and the first contact alien race. The documentary also shows civilian life in the future and that humanity still likes sports and having fun. Gun ownership is still allowed and everyone has access to world class healthcare.

Would they think such a future silly and too idealistic? Would America think the same? Would they be offended because they think Jesus will come back before 2050? Would Americans think this documentary is a tool of Satan? Would people on the Left think this is space war glorifying propaganda?

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
As I understand it, many Republicans believe that they are inheritors of good traditions that would lead into healthy, well adjusted people were it not for the harmful influence of those from outside.

I suppose fictional violence tends not to complain from being slandered, and is therefore an attractive target.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
I have always liked Star Trek because of its optimistic take on the future, and how things like greed and power are simply not relevant to humans anymore because technology eliminates hunger, want, and ignorance.

As a liberal, I want these things. Most conservatives also want these things. So I see no reason why anyone at any point on the political spectrum would be upset at your hypothetical situation.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Right off the bat we have to throw a flag. What evidence do you have to support the assumption that entertainment violence is linked to political standing? (Anecdotal screen shots don't quite cut it.) This is not a guaranteed assumption and I would feel more comfortable with something behind it.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Not so much the violence but about feeding minds with imaginary scenarios of how great it will be under an all powerful UN. If the scenarios were more realistic I wouldn't mind, let people decide based on truth. Instead of a scenario like competing with aliens throughout the galaxy, have a scenario where people are appointed a robot "life manager" in Hillarys image who has complete authority over you. You spend your day filling out forms to make requests from your life manager of what you can do that day. You press 2 for english and it tells you sorry you do not have enough carbon credits to go fishing today. And the only thing anyone has enough carbon credits for is to spend the day watching propaganda on tv.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

The party puts an OK stamp on the inactivity, inefficiency and complacency of churches and turns a blind eye to the condition of parishioners. Ministers are not paid to criticize all the propaganda the political parties pump out and tend to focus (not all do this) instead on scarecrows. They might mention as evil some show which presents an idea of utopia without God in it, sure; but the issue is inaction not action. I think blaming this on the Republican party is backward, and blaming it on the ministers and parishioners is denial of reality. In the end the fault lies with people who are now dead, so what we must do is get everyone involved in fixing problems, ministers and Republicans and Democrats included.

Everyone must pull together, and to do this we have to get past finger pointing and get our eyeballs pointed in the same direction. Finger-pointing only empowers political fiends. Get the churches to stop accepting excuses and letting homeless people go on ignored and people in rest homes go on ignored and letting orphans and foster care kids go on ignored. This is their primary mission, and they are ignoring it too easily. Every Christian should know how to care for a sick person, for a child, for an elderly. Yes some do help but not enough. The Salvation Army is always hurting for volunteers, for example. The ministers can get on board with this focus instead of pushing panspermia and worthless missionary pushes in far away countries. Everyone has a good path they can take which will result in the best overall result.

PureX

Veteran Member
The current "republican base" has a hard time distinguishing between mythical artifice and actual reality; between truth and fiction. So that they don't understand that others can and do comprehend these distinctions. Thus, they presume that the depiction of violence in a fictional video game scenario equates to the glorification and acceptance of actual violence in the minds of those who engage in them. And they are right, to a degree, because when one of their own engages in these violent games, and is unable to clearly distinguish between fantasy and reality, they are prone to conflate them. Thus, this same confused republican base going out and buying mountains of assault weapons and ammo in anticipation of when the "game becomes real".

Idiots think everyone else is an idiot, too. That's the basic answer.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
If I remember correctly, it was the touchy-feely folks that turned a perfectly good cartoon like this:
tom-and-jerry.jpg

Into this:
Tom-and-Jerry-Friends.jpg

Milton Platt

CmdrShepN7Spectre's Library

If they turned on the TV and on the TV they were watching a documentary that showed a humanity 200 years in the future that has united under freedom and democracy, achieved interstellar travel, and became an important part of an intergalactic community was being shown how would they feel? There would be epic space battles and PG-13 level violence with soldiers in advanced powered armor. The documentary would interview the soldiers, spaceship captains, politicians, citizens, and aliens like in Axanar. Would they be horrified and offended? In this spectacular vision of the future first contact with an alien species ended with a war. This war was a huge mistake on their part and our first interstellar enemy ends up becoming one of humanity's greatest allies. Humanity is granted a seat in the intergalactic equivalent of the UN. In 20 years we are the 3rd most powerful interstellar civilization in the galaxy. 30 years after the first contact war the most advanced military spaceship built is an act of intergalactic cooperation between humanity and the first contact alien race. The documentary also shows civilian life in the future and that humanity still likes sports and having fun. Gun ownership is still allowed and everyone has access to world class healthcare.

Would they think such a future silly and too idealistic? Would America think the same? Would they be offended because they think Jesus will come back before 2050? Would Americans think this documentary is a tool of Satan? Would people on the Left think this is space war glorifying propaganda?

I don't know if that's true, since Republicans also tend to be very strong supporters of the military, and of invading other countries. Would love to see actual statistics for both republicans and democrats.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The current "republican base" has a hard time distinguishing between mythical artifice and actual reality; between truth and fiction. So that they don't understand that others can and do comprehend these distinctions. Thus, they presume that the depiction of violence in a fictional video game scenario equates to the glorification and acceptance of actual violence in the minds of those who engage in them. And they are right, to a degree, because when one of their own engages in these violent games, and is unable to clearly distinguish between fantasy and reality, they are prone to conflate them. Thus, this same confused republican base going out and buying mountains of assault weapons and ammo in anticipation of when the "game becomes real".

Idiots think everyone else is an idiot, too. That's the basic answer.
I will take "Unfounded Sweeping Statements" for 200, Alex.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't know if that's true, since Republicans also tend to be very strong supporters of the military, and of invading other countries. Would love to see actual statistics for both republicans and democrats.
I agree. But those are the wealthy, greedy, power-mongering republicans. The republicans this thread is referring to are the whiny, holier-than-thou, righteousness junkie republicans. The ones that blame all the world's ills on those dirty liberals and their hedonistic evil media empire. ;)

Last edited:

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I agree. But those are the wealthy, greedy, power-mongering republicans. The republicans this thread is referring to are the whiny, holier-than-thou, righteousness junky republicans. The ones that blame all the world's ills on those dirty liberals and their hedonistic evil media empire. ;)

It's actually spelled "junkie"- just trying to help