• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why am I still a bigot?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I think the differences between the LDS Church and other Christian churches is relevant here. The inherent contradiction present for many Christians ("I don't hate gay people... I just think it would be perfectly right and just for God to torture gay people in Hell forever for being gay") isn't necessarily there for Mormons.
Well, you're right about that. I don't think any Mormon alive who truly understands his religion would say that "it would be perfectly right and just for God to torture gay people in Hell forever."

That being said, I notice that the LDS Church has spent way more effort and resources over the years against homosexuality than against coffee...
You're too smart to be making comments like that, and I'm too smart not to have picked up on the fact that you are being deliberately obtuse. This has absolutely nothing to do with how much effort the LDS Church has put into getting discriminatory laws passed against the LGBT community. The point I was making -- and I am 100% sure you didn't miss it -- was that it is entirely possible for a person to believe that certain behaviors are sinful and yet not have any negative feelings whatsoever towards people who engage in those behaviors. My example may have seemed like an exaggerated one, but the point is the valid nevertheless. There are a lot of things that I, as a practicing Mormon, don't do because I don't believe they are things God wants me to do. My moral choices are between me and God; everybody else's moral choices are between them and God (if they believe in God) or between them and their own consciences (if they don't). I know I am not unique in looking at sin in this way.

...and I've never heard of any representative of the LDS Church advocating violence against coffee drinkers as they have for gay people.
Well, Boyd K. Packer is probably one of my absolute least favorite LDS General Authorities who has ever lived, and I have disregarded his counsel on more occasions than I can count. Still, the quote you provided did not give much insight into the actual situation that prompted it. It did mention "protecting" oneself. A person need only protect himself by physical means if he is physically threatened. Despite the fact that I know my feelings towards gay people are pretty much opposite to his, I don't believe he was advocating physical violence towards anyone simply because that person was gay. 'Nuff said.

So I would not automatically assume that an observant Mormon hated gay people, but I wouldn't automatically discount the possibility.
Fair enough. Some observant Mormons probably do hate gay people, but that's more because of the kind of individuals they are than it is a reflection of what their Church's leaders are advocating.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks, but if I went by what I thought was best for me, I'd be living like a drunken nihilistic libertine and hating myself while in a suicidal depression.

You obviously recognize that that is not what is best for you.

Been there, trying to escape from it.

You haven't escaped from that? Sorry to read that.

How does that fit with, "ultimately it is following God and doing His will that brings us happiness and health". You're doing than now, right?

++++++++

I just saw your post above after posting this one. Is that all you have to say - "Good for you?" It was a counterargument to your claim that, "ultimately it is following God and doing His will that brings us happiness and health."

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
I have both without following any gods.

Also, many of the religious people I know are either unhappy, unhealthy, or both.

I have found that most people who actively seek religion do so merely to replace it with something else in their life that they do not like, replacing a human crux for a supernatural one in the form of religion.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Unless I'm missing something, males and females are the only groups within humans that can successfully procreate and complete the lifecycle.
Yes, you are missing something gigantic. This is not Noah's world. It's really different. Procreation isn't inherently a good thing anymore.
Ten thousand years ago procreation was crucial. Everyone lived in tiny communities that were always on the verge of extinction.
But that was then and this is now.

The Human Family is now in far more danger from irresponsible procreation than any lack of it. Lots of the primitive ethics of yore are simply not ethical today. "Be fruitful and multiply" has already been done, and then some. If we are ever to break the cycle of poverty and violence we absolutely need to stop breeding like flies. Non-breeding homosexuals are a start.
Tom

PureX

Veteran Member
I truly understand the value of sex for happiness. I just define it differently. But equally, to remove procreation from sex is a mistake, since the two are inexplicably intertwined.
Eating and pooping are inextricably intertwined, too, but that doesn't mean that we eat just so we can poop.

You misunderstand. I'm not looking to be happy. Happiness is fleeting. I expect to be content with what I have.
So, because happiness is not perpetual, as you would have it, you reject it's value and purpose for all humanity?

I expect others to stop thinking that one day everything is going to be just as they want it and we'll all be living like care bears. Right now, I'm living in a reality that totally denies all of my beliefs. It doesn't make me happy, but, aside from debating on RF, I live my life day to day not really thinking or caring about it. I have other considerations to take into account.
You have really set yourself up for failure and disappointment, there.

Have you ever read the story of Adam and Eve in the Bible? It is the story of mankind's "original sin". The sin that sets us up for all of mankind's other sins. And most people think, when they read the story, that this sin was the sin of "disobedience". But it's not. Man's original sin is the sin of hubris.The disobedience is only tangential.

See, God told those first humans that they had been given everything they needed to live happily and fulfilled, in their Garden of Eden, but that they were being denied the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. They could eat all the other fruits in the garden, as they wished, but not that one. But our foolish human egos didn't like the idea of being denied such God-like knowledge, and so it concocted the rationale that God was keeping this knowledge from us, and for Himself, to deny mankind it's rightful place in existence as God's eternal co-equals. And so those first two new humans "ate of the fruit of tree of knowledge of good and evil". Meaning that they took into themselves the presumption that they possessed this knowledge, even though it had been denied them, by God. And they immediately began passing judgment on all of Creation, including even their own bodies, which they judged shameful according to their own self-centered ideas of how things "should be".

They did not actually receive the knowledge of good and evil, however. All they received was the foolish presumption that they could judge all of existence as if they were gods, themselves. And the only "knowledge" they had by which to pass such judgment was their own selfish desires and expectations. What was deemed "good", to them, is what was good FOR them. What was deemed "evil", to them, was whatever did not serve their own desires and expectations to their own satisfaction. And so those first humans lost their understanding and appreciation of "Eden"; of God's Divine Creation. And we humans have been toiling our lives away ever since, trying to "correct" a reality that was never broken. Trying to make it serve us, exclusively, as if we were God's co-equals, and "the rulers of Eden".

The lesson of the story of Adam and Eve is that Eden was not created to serve us, exclusively. And we were not given the knowledge needed to understand why not. Because we are not 'God's co-equals'. And the moment we forget this, we open our hearts and minds up to all manner of sinful thoughts and behaviors.

I may come across this way, but I certainly don't think this way. I just wish people would stop seeking this 'happiness' that no-one ever really is. What I see making most people 'happy' in the long run does not really make people happy at all. Then humans invent things to, say, make life easier, more enjoyable, etc. only to find that it hasn't really made them any happier after all. We now live in a metal, digital world where stress levels are high, our teeth are rotten, our children are obese and our animals and rainforests suffer. We focus on the material instead of the immaterial and those things beyond us. We have lost our awe of the beyond. Humans have become very anthropocentric and it may have made our lives easier (lazier, more stressed, obese and selfish) but ultimately it is destroying us.
The problem is that we are forever trying to fix what was never broken, because we presume it should be serving us exclusively. We are still committing that "original sin" of divine hubris.

When you or I pass judgment on our fellow humans, aren't we really just engaging in that sin of hubris, again, ourselves? Aren't we just presuming unto ourselves that knowledge of good and evil, just as Adam and Eve did in the story? A knowledge that we were never given, and that we have never had? And aren't our judgments really just based on our own ideas about how "creation" should be? Based on our own needs and desires? A creation that we did not create, that we cannot control, and that was never our's to judge?

I have a hard time loving. I was raised by a sociopath. It might explain some of my views. In the words of my mother on the Japanese tsunami 'It's just Mother Nature's way of keeping the population down.' And it really is.
Presuming to understand why Creation does not serve us, exclusively, is that "original sin" in the story of Adam and Eve and how they lost their place in the Garden of Eden. Your mother didn't know why existence is as it is any more or less than Mother Theresa. And neither do you. Because none of us possesses the "knowledge of good and evil". What God has denied, mankind cannot steal.

And the more we persist in our hubris, the more we suffer as a result. Happiness, and suffering, both, in turn, help teach us how to stop presuming ourselves to be "God's equals".

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Eating and pooping are inextricably intertwined, too, but that doesn't mean that we eat just so we can poop.
No, but it does mean we should take care about what we eat.

So, because happiness is not perpetual, as you would have it, you reject it's value and purpose for all humanity?

No, I expect humanity to find a deeper level than simply 'happiness'. Happiness alone seems shallow.

Have you ever read the story of Adam and Eve in the Bible? It is the story of mankind's "original sin".
Original sin does not exist in my faith.

The problem is that we are forever trying to fix what was never broken, because it doesn't serve us exclusively, as we so arrogantly and blindly presume that it should.
I agree.

But when you or I pass judgment on our fellow humans, aren't we really just engaging in that sin of hubris, ourselves? Aren't we just presuming unto ourselves that knowledge of good and evil, just as Adam and Eve did in the story? A knowledge that we were never given, and that we have never had? And aren't our judgments really just based on our own ideas about how "creation" should be? A creation that we did not create, that we cannot control, and that is not our's to judge?
We each are entitled to our own beliefs though, and without making judgements we could never sentence any criminals, create any laws or decide how to run the show. I can pass judgement to say 'He's a tzaddik, 'He's not a tzaddik'. Who do I want to hang around with? Are these the right sort? I will need to make moral judgements in a given scenario. Should I fire this person? Who should I hire? What we judge will never suit everyone.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
We each are entitled to our own beliefs though, and without making judgements we could never sentence any criminals, create any laws or decide how to run the show. What we judge will never suit everyone.
We can make all the judgements we want. Write them into law, and enforce them as we choose. But what we can't do, at least not honestly, is attribute our judgments to our "divine knowledge of good and evil". Yet, sadly, we humans do this all the time. And we have been paying a very dear price for this hubris throughout our time on Earth.