• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why am I still a bigot?

InChrist

Free4ever
Okay. If we work on the assumption, as I do, that the Bible isn't actually correct, that stance becomes a lot more shaky.

To put this in perspective, saying that gay sex is wrong would be like saying it's wrong to have sex with redheads. A very strange and arbitrary restriction on somebody's choice of sexual partner.

That's without even going into whether or not homosexuality is a choice. I really don't think it is. Put it this way, I'm not attracted to other men. Just can't do it. If that were a choice, I'd be bisexual since I'm pretty good at telling people who dislike my lifestyle to go forth and multiply anyway and there's a thriving gay scene in my nearest city. Bisexuality would suit me just fine.

The reason I'm not bisexual is because I can't simply choose to be.
Your example seems incoherent. How does a prohibition against sex between same sex partners even compare to sex with redheads? Basically, the Bible states that sex is only to be in the context of marriage between a male man and female wife. It sets no arbitrary restrictions, if one comes from the perspective the God as the Creator knows the best and only way His creatures are to designed to function without problems and issues.

InChrist

Free4ever
Yes, such stuff still occurs, but the difference is that modern, civilized society acknowledges that it's unjust, unethical, etc. whereas the bible presumes to place god's stamp of approval upon such actions.
God is clear enough in the scriptures that He does not approve of evil actions.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Your example seems incoherent. How does a prohibition against sex between same sex partners even compare to sex with redheads? Basically, the Bible states that sex is only to be in the context of marriage between a male man and female wife. It sets no arbitrary restrictions, if one comes from the perspective the God as the Creator knows the best and only way His creatures are to designed to function without problems and issues.
For some issues especially this particular one, people decide whether to believe the science or the Bible. We already know how those conversations go. Then there is always that issue for theists that God creates us how we are, which would actually jive more with science than scripture regarding homosexuality.