• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why all the critique?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have noticed a lot more critique toward a few groups of religious followers, and i was wondering why this happens?

Most of all the followers/believers that get trash/critique at them are Bahá’í. So i was wondering why this happend? Personally do not find any reason to make critique of them

Last edited:

Shantanu

I have noticed a lot more critique toward a few groups of religious followers, and i was wondering why this happens?

Most of all the followers/believers that get a lot of trash come from Bahá’í. So i was wondering why this happend? Personally do not find any reason to make critique of them
Bahai and other religious groups perhaps feel that a Kalki avatar of God will descend for the salvation of the entire human race, and so need to criticise others who do not share that opinion. There are diverse beliefs and we need to be tolerant of all faiths as it is none of our business what those adherents get up to in their own time and space.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Most of all the followers/believers that get a lot of trash come from Bahá’í. So i was wondering why this happend? Personally do not find any reason to make critique of them

To be fair to most, we have not always presented what Baha'u'llah offered in the way it should have been. The intent is always based in good, but maybe the way it was presented was not.

On the other hand it is hard to refute that humanity needs to be united and it scares some people as to what may have to happen, for that to be so.

I have appreciated your balanced view in all topics.

Regards Tony

Jumi

They have beliefs about things that other religions have beliefs on. I don't think Bahais are more aggressive than others, actually quite the opposite. There's aggressive believers in all religions and non-beliefs, we can only hope to show a good example to how to go with peace in the debates. If we fail, then how can others without the goal succeed? I consider it a nice motivator to keep myself grounded and I sometimes fail, then remember again. It's like developing a muscle, it grows with exercise and rest, sometimes the resistance is too much and we need to step back.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
To be fair to most, we have not always presented what Baha'u'llah offered in the way it should have been. The intent is always based in good, but maybe the way it was presented was not.

On the other hand it is hard to refute that humanity needs to be united and it scares some people as to what may have to happen, for that to be so.

I have appreciated your balanced view in all topics.

Regards Tony
I have no reason to say to other with different religious belief then my self that they are wrong. I know a few Bahaì followers here where i live, and never had any problems with them at all, very nice and very good people to talk with or discuss with :)

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have no reason to say to other with different religious belief then my self that they are wrong. I know a few Bahaì followers here where i live, and never had any problems with them at all, very nice and very good people to talk with or discuss with :)

Likewise I have not faced many issues speaking to people face to face.

The internet is not an easy place to talk, as communication is also has a visual aspect where one can read what is being said and the mood it was delivered in. A lot less chance of taking it the wrong way.

With the written reply, way too much can be read into a simple reply.

Regards Tony

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

For me religious forum has been a suprisingly interesting place to have discussions about a great variety of religious topics with peoples of all faiths. I've been pleasantly suprised that there are also several other Baha'is active on this forum.

Oscar Wilde is credited with saying "There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." That being said I'm not to sure to what extent the Baha'is Faith is being criticised on this forum and certainly don't feel harrassed or troubled in any way. Besides, I'm not really too interested in negativity towards any religion but that is often the nature of internet discussion groups.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

It happens when people put controversial stuff in debate threads, inviting debate. Primarily it's just debate, but yes sometimes it does get sort of carried away. I'm certainly guilty of that. Some folks might view it as overt criticism, whereas others just view it as lively presentation of an alternative view. Of course nobody needs to read any thread if it bothers them, and personal attacks can be reported.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Most of all the followers/believers that get a lot of trash come from Bahá’í. So i was wondering why this happened? Personally do not find any reason to make critique of them

Apparently you have no problem trashing Baha'is. Why do you feel the urge to trash Baha'i?

Critique in this case is simply part of dialogue in debate.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

First, I should say that I'm reluctant to judge all Baha'is based on the behaviour of online Baha'is. I recognize that the Baha'i faith forbids proselytizing, but more often than not, the Baha'is I encounter online are very into pushing and selling their religion... more than just about any other group who I run into on a regular basis. This makes me wonder if the majority of Baha'is take this prohibition to heart and don't call attention to the fact that they're Baha'i, so I end up not recognizing them as Baha'i.

So recognizing that we're talking about a group - ardent online Baha'is - who seems to me to violate their own tenets on a pretty regular basis, I don't assume that they represent the entire religion.

With this group of ardent online Baha'is, I do tend to see a lot of annoying behaviors, such as trying to "sell" their religion and threadjacking to turn conversations about other religions - or about religions in general - into a conversation about the Baha'i faith specifically. These behaviors tend not to get a great reaction from people.

Now... as for stuff that's actually part of their doctrines: they've kinda co-opted most of the prophets of the other major religions and claimed that they all led the way to the Baha'i prophet.

It's very easy for someone to take this as disparaging to their own religion. I know most Baha'is don't present it this way, but there are some implicit messages for members of other religions, like "your religion was just a prelude for my religion" and "if you were properly serious about your Christianity/Islam/Hinduism/Buddhism/whatever, you'd be Baha'i."

This relationship also exists between Judaism and Christianity, but Christianity tends to be so large and dominant - at least in the English-speaking world - that calling out Christian behaviour on this isn't likely to go anywhere.

Hopefully you can see why people would take offense at this. "Messing around" with people's sacred traditions doesn't usually win many friends.

Last edited:

Jedster

When did i trash Baha¨ì? I say in the OP that i find it strange people DO trash it, i did not say i dislike your religion?
You wrote
Most of all the followers/believers that get a lot of trash come from Bahá’í.
which says that the Bahais are doing the trashing.

I think you meant Most of all the followers/believers that get a lot of trash are Bahá’ís.

ETA I see you have already noticed

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member

Most of all the followers/believers that get trash/critique at them are Bahá’í. So i was wondering why this happend? Personally do not find any reason to make critique of them
Actually the religion that gets it the worst on here is Islam and there's hardly any active Muslims on here. I have seen people make genocidal comments towards Muslims, celebrate their deaths and even staff members being insulting about it. Baha'is only get negative comments when they make preachy threads, try to tell followers of other religions that they know more about their own religion and it's been superceded and make passive aggressive insults. If they didn't do that, nobody would be talking about them as there's not even enough Baha'is in the world for most people to even know what that is.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In general, discussions will revolve around that which is present enough to be noticed. In the context of RF, we have a disproportionate number of Baha'i members relative to their overall population. We also have a disproportionate number of non-theists relative to their overall population. That means that RF in general has a lot more criticism of theism (mostly Abrahamic monotheism). The favorite whipping boys culturally at the moment are Islam and Christianity, so they get a lot of flak. Baha'i gets mixed in simply because we have a bunch of active members here representing that. Their activity makes them targets of critique. I'm sure that if I started posting thread after thread about the virtues of Druidry, it'd start becoming a target too.

By the way, have you hugged a tree yet today? :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Actually the religion that gets it the worst on here is Islam and there's hardly any active Muslims on here. I have seen people make genocidal comments towards Muslims, celebrate their deaths and even staff members being insulting about it. Baha'is only get negative comments when they make preachy threads, try to tell followers of other religions that they know more about their own religion and it's been superceded and make passive aggressive insults. If they didn't do that, nobody would be talking about them as there's not even enough Baha'is in the world for most people to even know what that is.
Catholics endure great criticism too.
Worse than Muslims?
Hard to say.
A factor to consider....
Some criticisms are valid, & I wouldn't include those
in what's called "negative", eg, abusing children,
killing infidels.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In general, discussions will revolve around that which is present enough to be noticed. In the context of RF, we have a disproportionate number of Baha'i members relative to their overall population. We also have a disproportionate number of non-theists relative to their overall population. That means that RF in general has a lot more criticism of theism (mostly Abrahamic monotheism). The favorite whipping boys culturally at the moment are Islam and Christianity, so they get a lot of flak. Baha'i gets mixed in simply because we have a bunch of active members here representing that. Their activity makes them targets of critique. I'm sure that if I started posting thread after thread about the virtues of Druidry, it'd start becoming a target too.

By the way, have you hugged a tree yet today? :D

:oops: Can`t say i am a typical tree hugger, But if compassion of all living counts then yes :)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I can't say I have noticed this.

It appears to me that Islam gets the most virulent critique, and Christianity the most critique. I think that's a direct result of what, and how much, is posted by adherents.

Personally, I like Bahai. At least, I find it far more benign than most Abrahamic world views, morality, and ethics.
Tom