• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why all the critique?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think faith always challenges popular opinion. I think most people (in other words, popular opinion) would like to live in a peaceful world. I think most faiths agree with that.

History teaches us quite vividly, that all new Mesengers have faced fierce opposition and many people have been killed at the birth of those Faiths.

Why was that so, if it was not then a challenge to popular thought?

Maybe you are looking at a different aspect, a different time frame after the Faith had been around for some time, or even a Faith offshoot?

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
History teaches us quite vividly, that all new Mesengers have faced fierce opposition and many people have been killed at the birth of those Faiths.

Why was that so, if it was not then a challenge to popular thought?

Maybe you are looking at a different aspect, a different time frame after the Faith had been around for some time, or even a Faith offshoot?

Regards Tony

Tony, I was just challenging your use of the word 'always'. It was the same challenge as for the other thread's 'identical'. I don't believe in absolutes like that. So ... always? Really?

sealchan

I have noticed a lot more critique toward a few groups of religious followers, and i was wondering why this happens?

Most of all the followers/believers that get trash/critique at them are Bahá’í. So i was wondering why this happend? Personally do not find any reason to make critique of them

Yeah I dont know. Perhaps they represent a greater threat in the minds of some.

I think they are pretty awesome.

But I agree that they do seem to get a bit of extra guff...at least in the threads I have been in.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
To be fair to most, we have not always presented what Baha'u'llah offered in the way it should have been. The intent is always based in good, but maybe the way it was presented was not.

On the other hand it is hard to refute that humanity needs to be united and it scares some people as to what may have to happen, for that to be so.

I have appreciated your balanced view in all topics.

Regards Tony
I submit to you my "Thesis Number 1:" that humanity can never, ever be united while we seek conformity of belief, interest, or any other conformity." Humanity might (and it's a very iffy might) become united by all of us accepting the unalienable right of all others to be sovereign over their own thoughts, beliefs and actions, so long as those do not harm others or take away that same sovereign right from others.

That's my whole creed...there's nothing more to it. And it's incredibly simple: for example, if you and I are sitting in a bar, and I'm trying to read and you're partying a bit too hearty with friends and I find it irritating, I'm free to let you know I find it irritating. But if you decline to tone it down, well, it's a public place, and I am perfectly within my rights to pay my tab and leave. I am not within my rights to instruct you on how to behave. Good manners can be very good grease for social ease, but can't be compelled (except perhaps by parents).

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I submit to you my "Thesis Number 1:" that humanity can never, ever be united while we seek conformity of belief, interest, or any other conformity. Humanity might (and it's a very iffy might) become united by all of us accepting the unalienable right of all others to be sovereign over their own thoughts, beliefs and actions, so long as those do not harm others or take away that same sovereign right from others.

That's my whole creed...there's nothing more to it. And it's incredibly simple: for example, if you and I are sitting in a bar, and I'm trying to read and you're partying a bit too hearty with friends and I find it irritating, I'm free to let you know I find it irritating. But if you decline to tone it down, well, it's a public place, and I am perfectly within my rights to pay my tab and leave. I am not within my rights to instruct you on how to behave. Good manners can be very good grease for social ease, but can't be compelled (except perhaps by parents).

I like that you say never. :)

Never to me does not exist and this it is wise to never say never. I see unity will happen but there is unless and until stipulations to be acepted first. Who knows what will happen in this world for us to accept those unless and until options?

It may be many millions will walk out of the door first?

Regards Tony

siti

trash/critique
Is this an either/or thing or do you really think that critiquing a religious idea equates to "trashing" it? I certainly have been "guilty" of critiquing the statements of RF members who identify as Bahai more than others in the last year or so - partly because I was challenged early on in one such discussion to read the Bahai scriptures for myself - I did (I mean I started to read them - there are quite a lot - a helluva lot actually) - but am I then obliged to accept everything they say as truth - or to hold silence when I discover what look to me like inconsistencies, misinterpretations of the scriptural traditions of other faiths or somewhat dubious claims? I am genuinely fascinated by the Bahai faith on a number of levels and I have found it extremely informative to examine its claims - partly I suppose because it is new - in the world and to me - and partly because they have an extraordinary ability to "stick to their guns" on matters of faith regardless of what "critiques" are presented to them. I certainly would not have taken such discussions anywhere near that far with the fragile faith and ego of many religionists of other persuasions, who often seem to be ill-informed about their own religious traditions - let alone anyone elses. (And I'll leave the identification of such to those for whom "the cap fits" - not they would recognize themselves I don't suppose).

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Is this an either/or thing or do you really think that critiquing a religious idea equates to "trashing" it? I certainly have been "guilty" of critiquing the statements of RF members who identify as Bahai more than others in the last year or so - partly because I was challenged early on in one such discussion to read the Bahai scriptures for myself - I did (I mean I started to read them - there are quite a lot - a helluva lot actually) - but am I then obliged to accept everything they say as truth - or to hold silence when I discover what look to me like inconsistencies, misinterpretations of the scriptural traditions of other faiths or somewhat dubious claims? I am genuinely fascinated by the Bahai faith on a number of levels and I have found it extremely informative to examine its claims - partly I suppose because it is new - in the world and to me - and partly because they have an extraordinary ability to "stick to their guns" on matters of faith regardless of what "critiques" are presented to them. I certainly would not have taken such discussions anywhere near that far with the fragile faith and ego of many religionists of other persuasions, who often seem to be ill-informed about their own religious traditions - let alone anyone elses. (And I'll leave the identification of such to those for whom "the cap fits" - not they would recognize themselves I don't suppose).
Making critique that is constructive then it is fine critique that help people to advance is good, but words that is harmful or disrespectfull is not ok in my view