• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why all the critique?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Catholics endure great criticism too.
Worse than Muslims...hard to say.
A factor to consider....
Some criticisms are valid, & I wouldn't include those
in what's called "negative", eg, abusing children,
killing infidels.
And then there's this. The RCC seems to get singled out far more than any other Christian denomination. At least as much abuse as Islam.
Tom

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I have noticed a lot more critique toward a few groups of religious followers, and i was wondering why this happens?

Most of all the followers/believers that get trash/critique at them are Bahá’í. So i was wondering why this happend? Personally do not find any reason to make critique of them
That looks to me like an invitation for people to gather together to discuss what they don’t like about some other people, and more specifically what they don’t like about Baha’is, which might not be what you intended. If you’re trying to understand why some groups are criticized more than others, that might be very complicated, like trying to find out why it rains in one place more than in another. Do you not see more to criticize in the followers of some religions than in others? Probably most or all of us do, but because of our different ideas, interests and experiences, which ones we criticize more than others will be different for each of us. Maybe what you’re seeing is that the ones you see other people criticizing the most are not the ones that you would criticize the most. It might take a lot of research and discussion to find an explanation that would satisfy you, but if you don’t like seeing so much criticism, it might not be a good idea to create a thread where you invite people to discuss what they don’t like about other people. There might be better ways to find out why the people you see being criticized the most are not the ones you would criticize the most. I’ll try to see if I can think of some better ways.

MJFlores

I have noticed a lot more critique toward a few groups of religious followers, and i was wondering why this happens?

Most of all the followers/believers that get trash/critique at them are Bahá’í. So i was wondering why this happend? Personally do not find any reason to make critique of them

It's just like Battle Royal with no winners

Just have fun.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

To be honest, a main concern for me for a long time has been the terrible things, unsubstantiated I firmly believe , said against Muhammad, the Quran and Muslims and the 50 innocent Muslims murdered has made me accutely aware that the misinformation spread needs to be countered and corrected urgently.

But any religion or group that are singled out and innocent people slandered I feel it my sacred duty to defend.

As for Baha’is it’s all good. I welcome the most critical challenges and criticism with open arms and I want to be held accountable, scrutinised and interrogated otherwise how shall the truth come out? We are so to speak ‘ the new kid on the block’ so I expect to get roughed up a lot. So please don’t hold back but ‘bring it on’ lol.. I consider you all quite harmless. Lol

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
My brothers in debating!

It’s been an absolute privilege to be a part of this awesome forum. People have been so patient and accepting, tolerant, forbearing and kind and proof of this to me is that you have all put up with my rantings and ravings for so long.

I have always taken the challenge right up to you guys and have expected no more and no less than for you to stick it right back to me. And that you have and I hope will continue to do!

All’s fair in love and debating. Lol.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
But any religion or group that are singled out and innocent people slandered I feel it my sacred duty to defend.
Anyone?
I ask because as a gay man I find myself commonly singled out and slandered by religious people, and usually by Abrahamic religionists.

I am prudish about sex, seriously Pro-Life, and generally conservative. But I am often described as satanic and stuff by religious people. I find that offensive. But they think that God says I am an abomination, so they do it.

A lot.
Tom

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Anyone?
I ask because as a gay man I find myself commonly singled out and slandered by religious people, and usually by Abrahamic religionists.

I am prudish about sex, seriously Pro-Life, and generally conservative. But I am often described as satanic and stuff by religious people. I find that offensive. But they think that God says I am an abomination, so they do it.

A lot.
Tom

Hi Tom. I’m sorry that you have been mistreated so much and made to feel singled out. You are a precious human being equal to everyone else on the planet and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

It was gay friends who first introduced me to my religion. They took me in when I was homeless and depressed and fed and cared for me. I owe my life to them for all they did.

People miss the whole point of their religion when they use terms such as satanic and abomination because religion is supposed to make people love one another.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The internet is not an easy place to talk, as communication is also has a visual aspect where one can read what is being said and the mood it was delivered in. A lot less chance of taking it the wrong way.

I once had a problem with someone at work and was told "pick up the phone and call him". The advice giver was correct. So, yes, what you point out is accurate.

Actually the religion that gets it the worst on here is Islam and there's hardly any active Muslims on here. I have seen people make genocidal comments towards Muslims, celebrate their deaths

This is an extremely old problem and humanity is just starting to grow out of this issue. When I see members of one religion open their doors, sometimes literally, to members of another religion, I know that they are my brothers and sisters no matter what their holy book says or seems to say.

Because I know that I can find anything I want to by reading or sometimes misreading their holy book. I know that because I've done that very thing.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My brothers in debating!

It’s been an absolute privilege to be a part of this awesome forum. People have been so patient and accepting, tolerant, forbearing and kind and proof of this to me is that you have all put up with my rantings and ravings for so long.

I have always taken the challenge right up to you guys and have expected no more and no less than for you to stick it right back to me. And that you have and I hope will continue to do!

All’s fair in love and debating. Lol.
To be honest, I've never found this to be much about debating, in the classical sense.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hi Tom. I’m sorry that you have been mistreated so much and made to feel singled out. You are a precious human being equal to everyone else on the planet and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

It was gay friends who first introduced me to my religion. They took me in when I was homeless and depressed and fed and cared for me. I owe my life to them for all they did.

People miss the whole point of their religion when they use terms such as satanic and abomination because religion is supposed to make people love one another.

And yet your faith denies gay people the right to observe their natural tendency. Bahai's on one hand are totally against monasticism, and yet wish to enforce celibacy on 5-10 % of the human population.

Jim

Nets of Wonder

I'm hoping that this not the open invitation that it appears to be, for people to gather together to discuss what they don't like about some groups or categories of people. I'm thinking that you might be wondering why the groups that you see being criticized the most aren't the ones that look the worst to you. I've been thinking about possible explanations for that. It might be because of differences in our ideas, interests, and experiences. It might be interesting to look at the differences between your ideas, interests and experiences, and the ideas, interests and experiences of people who see more harm in some groups than you do; but find some way to do that without inviting people to air their grievances against those groups, which might be contrary to your purposes.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And then there's this. The RCC seems to get singled out far more than any other Christian denomination. At least as much abuse as Islam.
Tom
Now... Islam and Catholicism invite criticism in a way that the Baha'i faith doesn't: both of them impose themselves on people through governments.

Out of those three religions, the only one that gets a say on what health care services I can receive or what gets taught in my taxpayer-funded schools is the Catholic Church. In other parts of the world, it might be Islam imposing itself on people this way.

For large chunks of the planet, criticizing their government means criticizing either the Catholic Church or the local denomination of Islam. I don't believe there's anywhere that the Baha'i faith imposes itself on people like this.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Disagreeing with someone in no way means you hate them. I've been accused of hate by merely stating I'm not a Christian. That really is some jump. Similarly, I've been accused of having a vendetta against the Baha'i.

Surely folks are allowed to express alternate points of view here.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And yet your faith denies gay people the right to observe their natural tendency. Bahai's on one hand are totally against monasticism, and yet wish to enforce celibacy on 5-10 % of the human population.
I knew that the Baha'i faith was anti-LGBTQ, but I thought this was only for its own members. No?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Now... Islam and Catholicism invite criticism in a way that the Baha'i faith doesn't: both of them impose themselves on people through governments.

Out of those three religions, the only one that gets a say on what health care services I can receive or what gets taught in my taxpayer-funded schools is the Catholic Church. In other parts of the world, it might be Islam imposing itself on people this way.

For large chunks of the planet, criticizing their government means criticizing either the Catholic Church or the local denomination of Islam. I don't believe there's anywhere that the Baha'i faith imposes itself on people like this.

We don't know, because there is no country that has a Baha'i majority. We can only guess what might happen then. I would hope that it would be secular, and religious minorities would be protected.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I knew that the Baha'i faith was anti-LGBTQ, but I thought this was only for its own members. No?

Yes, that's true, but I imagine it varies from person to person too. Certainly in secular societies religious law is on the backburner. Exceptions might be Sharia law in Islamic theocracies. So there is some overlap.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Not where I live.
Here it's mostly protestants imposing their beliefs through government.

But, that said, I don't care who is trying to impose primitive ethics on the rest of us. Communists have done the same thing.

But, like I said, Bahai is way better than most other religions. For reasons I explained earlier. Their ethics and world view is a lot better than most of the ones that dominate human society.
Tom

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm hoping that this not the open invitation that it appears to be, for people to gather together to discuss what they don't like about some groups or categories of people. I'm thinking that you might be wondering why the groups that you see being criticized the most aren't the ones that look the worst to you. I've been thinking about possible explanations for that. It might be because of differences in our ideas, interests, and experiences. It might be interesting to look at the differences between your ideas, interests and experiences, and the ideas, interests and experiences of people who see more harm in some groups than you do; but find some way to do that without inviting people to air their grievances against those groups, which might be contrary to your purposes.
The reason i open the thread was because there has been a lot of negative toward different groups in the forum, and i wanted to know why. If a person disagree with an other person yes we can argue toward each other, but when someone "hunt" a group like Muslims or Baha'i or Christians, or any other religous belief. Why is it so important to disprove or find faults with others belief? Why not be curious and ask nice?

I do know i have been discussing with Shantanu and yes i got to know he did find some of my own words to be offensive toward him, And i do not want that to happen again. I dont have wish to discredit other people's belief.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The few I know weren't. At least, not nearly to the degree that similarly devout Christian and Muslim people are.

The ones I know think that homosexuality is wrong, and gay people shouldn't be allowed to have a state sanctioned marriage. But they don't think that we are abominations to be messed with. That's almost always the Christians and Muslims.
Tom