• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Is Your Favorite Politician, Past or Present?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
OK, I know that's like asking "What's your favorite plague?", but tough it up anyway, Snowflake, and answer the %$#& question! Also, please explain why So-and-So is your favorite, and add anything that you think is pertinent.

However, what this thread is NOT about is debate nor reasons to trash someone here or their favorite politician, so please keep the negativity out of this. [I know, following this should last about 10 seconds :(]

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
maxresdefault.jpg

joe1776

Thomas Jefferson is thought of as a visionary. He's easily the most quoted of American politicians. But some years ago, it occurred to me that we should be more interested in HOW he thought and less in WHAT he thought.

Eventually, I came to the conclusion that visionary thinking involves the habit of making reasoned arguments that end with conclusions based on probability, predictions that are likely to happen.

It's an interesting and useful way to think. So, Jefferson's my favorite.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If I have to pick only one, it would probably be FDR, at least in terms of politicians with the greatest influence over America as we know it now. Lincoln and Washington would be of equal stature, though, so maybe a three-way tie.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
OK, I know that's like asking "What's your favorite plague?", but tough it up anyway, Snowflake, and answer the %$#& question! Also, please explain why So-and-So is your favorite, and add anything that you think is pertinent.

However, what this thread is NOT about is debate nor reasons to trash someone here or their favorite politician, so please keep the negativity out of this. [I know, following this should last about 10 seconds :(]

Depending on what day of the week it is, it's Thomas Jefferson or Benjamin Franklin. But, I'd give the nod to Jefferson in only the fact that he actually became a President. In the quality of life contributions, I'd give Franklin a clear win. Both men were truly great, it's just a matter of what one thing you think is more relevant to you personally, lol.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Abraham Lincoln

I'd include Gandhi but I don't think of him as a politician but rather a spiritual figure active in the political realm.

Ditto, why I didn't answer with him. But, brilliant man, I just don't know why all the great guys like MLK and Gandi have to get shot.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
In modern times no politician is more accomplished than V. Putin, but when he's gone there is no telling what will happen. I'm not saying I support all of his decisions, either.

When it comes to the most moral politician I think of A. Merkel; but I know next to nothing about her compared to the US state dept. which was tapping her phone. They probably know more than I do.

Others also deserve honorable mention.

Rational Agnostic

I'd have to go with JFK just because of his skilled handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis, and ability to avoid a nuclear war. If the wrong person were in charge at that time, none of us would even be here today to ask this question.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Gandhi and Mandela, both not born politicians but made a great political impact.

epronovost

René Lévesques is probably the most important political leader of my province and a major player in the development of Canada as it stands today with his constant rivalry with Pierre Elliot Trudeau; the premier if Canada at the same time he served in office and father of our current prime minister who's, let's face it, not cut from the same cloth.

As for political leaders from the rest of the world, I would say Nelson Mandela is pretty much the geatest.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Personally would be US Senator Frank Lautenberg he approved my application for a college scholarship which I won.
Through out US history Teddy Roosevelt, I love the outdoors and he started saving Federal lands for future generations.