• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who are your favorite comedians?

Who are your favorite comedians?

• Total voters

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Robin Williams, he never has failed to make me laugh. The problem arises when he talks too fast! He reminds me of Groucho Marx (the Marx Brothers make me laugh too, with the out of date humor).
I cannot imagine a list of comedians that does not include Robin Williams. Williams is in a class by himself and the others are very, very far behind.

I remember a long time ago when John Cleese was voted the funniest man on earth and he was interviewed by Time, I think. Cleese said he was very surprised by the award and related a story about how Robin Williams had joined the Monty Python regulars in their hotel suite in London. Cleese explained that before too long, Williams had them all captivated... if not a bit stunned.

2nd to Williams... must be Jonathan Winters. They are, by far, the funniest people on the planet, at this point in time... in my opinion. Again, other comedians are light years away from either of these two. I am sure, if you interviewed each of the people on the list, that they too would agree with my sentiments.

I guess why I love Williams is because my sense of humor is very similar. In real life, I am sort of like a "Robin Williams Lite" and have been told on numerous occasions that I should seriously consider doing stand-up comedy.

Last edited:

Dezzie

I voted for Dane Cook and George Carlin. I like them because 1. They are hilarious and 2. They apply/applied their jokes to real life senarios. They are great.

gnomon

Stephen Fry
Eddie Izzard
Jon Stewart
Hugh Laurie
Rowan Atkinson
Tim Minchin
Tommy Tiernan
Paul Merton
Gene Wilder
Mel Brooks
Dara O'Briain
Graham Chapman
Terry Jones
Eric Idle
Bill Hicks
Michael Palin
John Cleese
Marty Feldman

Cleese & Feldman:
[youtube][youtube]8CIACqpidRM[/youtube]
YouTube - AT LAST THE 1948 SHOW - Cleese, Feldman - Annoying Train-Passenger[youtube]

I would also throw in Bill Murray and Gene Hackman. Although neither stand up comedians and Bill has moved on from performing solely comedy routines since the '80's both of them can deliver comedic performances better than most actors in my opinion.

Smoke

Done here.
2nd to Williams... must be Jonathan Winters. They are, by far, the funniest people on the planet, at this point in time... in my opinion.
I used to love Jonathan Winters. I haven't thought about him in a long time; honestly, I didn't know he was still alive.

Smoke

Done here.
I voted for Dane Cook and George Carlin. I like them because 1. They are hilarious and 2. They apply/applied their jokes to real life senarios. They are great.

That's a really odd pair. :D

I loved Dane Cook the first time I saw him, but I couldn't sustain the love. Carlin never gets old.

I was mainly thinking of standup comics, but I notice some people are listing actors. In that category I think it's hard to beat Lucille Ball. I like a lot of physical comedians; I think Don Knotts, Carol Burnett, and Bryan Cranston are some of the best.

Just about everybody who was ever a regular on the Carol Burnett Show was pretty good, and the cast of the Mary Tyler Moore Show was excellent, too. I think Bette Midler is hilarious. Danny DeVito, Bob Newhart, and Lily Tomlin.

I like all the "classic" comic actors like Burns & Allen, the Marx Brothers, Red Skelton, Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, and most of all Mae West and W. C. Fields.

I never liked Jack Burns, but I loved Burns and Schreiber because Avery Schreiber cracked me up. My grandmother didn't like my watching that show because I laughed so hard she was afraid I'd hurt myself. :)

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I know I'm forgetting people, but George Carlin is number one. After that, I like:
Nick Swardson
Lewis Black
John Candy
Tina Fey
Ricky Gervais
Will Ferrell
Jim Carrey
Paul Rudd
Rodney Dangerfield

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch.

uu_sage

My favorite comedians include
Lewis Black
Bill Engval
Jeff Foxworthy
Chris Rock
John Stewart
Stephen Colbert
Wanda Sykes
Bernie Mac
Margaret Cho
George Carlin
Rodney Dangerfield
Mel Brooks

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
YmirGF said:
I cannot imagine a list of comedians that does not include Robin Williams. Williams is in a class by himself and the others are very, very far behind.
I love Robin Williams. That man's a firecracker.

George Carlin to me, is the king though. Haven't read too closely, but I haven't seen anyone mention Steve Martin yet. That man is funny! If he was already mentioned then count one more vote. :D

If we're going outside of stand up, then I think Three Stooges were untouchable in the slap-stick category.

xkatz

Bill Cosby- I've seen him live and he's actually much funnier than I remembered.

I would also say Steven Colbert since the way he mocks Conservative values and Fox News is awesome.

I would like to say I like Robin Williams... But there are some things that I don't like about him TBH.

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
George Carlin to me, is the king though.
I think Stanhope is as good as Carlin. Carlin worked longer than Stanhope has, and he has a more impressive body of work, but set for set I think Stanhope's his equal. Same for Lewis Black. The Unholy Trinity of comic philosophy. :D

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I think Stanhope is as good as Carlin. Carlin worked longer than Stanhope has, and he has a more impressive body of work, but set for set I think Stanhope's his equal. Same for Lewis Black. The Unholy Trinity of comic philosophy. :D
Never watched Stanhope, but now you have me intrigued so I guess I'll have to check him out. :eek: Same with Lewis Black. A good friend of mine and I have discussed the trinity of stand up, and he claims it was George Carlin, Richard Pryor and Lenny Bruce. I wasn't completely sold on Lenny Bruce, but Carlin and Pryor had my vote. :p